“Mom Date was perfect at Butcher & Boar!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Butcher & The Boar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 1,595 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 12th Street
Transit: Direct line stops on the #4 and #6 routes along Hennepin.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Mom Date was perfect at Butcher & Boar!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My son asked what I wanted for Christmas. I said time with him. He gave me a time to be ready and kept the restaurant a surprise. We dined at Butcher and the Boar before going to see "Phantom of the Opera" at the Orpheum (a short walk).

The restaurant was a big hit for both of us. We started off with a local craft brew on tap in the bar. For dinner, we split three items: the shrimp skewer with veal sweetmeat, a pot of mussels, and a steak. Each item was delicious. I also ordered the fried green tomatoes, which were the best I've ever had. We ended the meal with a cocktail.

The wait staff was attentive without interrupting. Quite a lovely Christmas present!

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Farmington, Minnesota
“Great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We've been a couple of times and simply stated, you have to like meat. The best thing on the menu: the Long Rib. The sausage is good too, but I prefer the rib or the steak. The slaw is used as a side for practically everything and gets a bit redundant. However, the salad was excellent and so was the jalapeno appetizer. Service was a good although we were up against the glass wall/doors so you're trading comfort for the view which is tough when it's freezing outside. It does get loud due to the open layout.

Visited December 2013
New York City, New York, USA
“Haute cuisine with a midwestern sensibility”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Lives up to the hype of its James Beard accolades. Knowledgable but understated waitstaff, inventive and delicious menu, unpretentious dining room. You will be eating well regardless of your choice on this menu.

• Visited April 2013
Minneapolis MN
“Another wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Another great dinner. Seating was a little off as they tried to give us a small table near the entrance in dark almost forgotten corner off the bar which should be only used for bar or waiting seating. The host graciously handled our request for a table in the main dining room. Until they change their practice, remember to state your request for seating when making a reservation.

Food and service are the stars but having a great Hennepin Avenue Manhattan standing outside by the outdoor fire during our short wait for a table on a late December night was pretty fantastic as well.

Very happy with the interesting and tasty sampler of their house cured meats with mustard & pickles and the iceberg slice with bacon praline. The highlight and always our favorite Berkshire pork chop was huge, tender and oh so good. We also tried the green chorizo sausage at the suggestion of our server. Careful with this one as it packs some heat which caught my partner off guard resulting in an almost cartoon like response of a very red face, beads of sweat and gulping water like no tomorrow. Taken in small bites with the accompanying cumin creme fraiche it was better but still hot!

Service was friendly and accommodating to our requests including cooling off the Shotfire Shiraz.

We have made this one of our go to places and will definitely be back.

• Visited December 2013
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
“Great Fun and Great Meat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I've eaten and drank at Butcher & the Boar a dozen times since they've opened in all manner of forms: at myself at the bar, for happy hour at the bar and in the beer garden, for a bachelor party, a family gathering, a couples night out and with just me and my wife. I've enjoyed it every time and never once been disappointed. I've now had just about everything on the menu, even some of the crazier things like the pickled beef hearts, and there hasn't been anything I haven't enjoyed.

Most recently, my siblings and our respective spouses came here for a huge meal the night before our family thanksgiving. While that may have been poor timing, Chef Riebel and his kitchen crew kind of beat the pants off of the next day's turkey. We had an order of the sausage plate (plus the new summer sausage) and wiped it clear in a heartbeat. A bunch of appetizers, including my personal favorite, the stuffed jalapenos, were quickly demolished as well. The six of tore into a steak, the long rib, some scallops and a bunch of delicious sides, too. There was hardly any food left at the end of it.

They also have great beer and bourbon selections, too. The year-round beer garden out back is a great addition, and it's awesome that they keep adding more food options out there. It's been open over a year now and is still a really hard table to score. It always makes it a lot of fun when everyone else is having a great time, too (except for some sour reviewers on here). I've always had good service, but I think I'm easy to please in that regard and don't need to be constantly waited on to be happy.

This has probably been my top recommendation since it opened, and I don't think anyone I've encouraged to go here has ever had anything less than an excellent experience.

• Visited November 2013