“A great place for food, wine, beer, and conversation!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Butcher & The Boar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 1,405 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 12th Street
Transit: Direct line stops on the #4 and #6 routes along Hennepin.
Blaine, MN
“A great place for food, wine, beer, and conversation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at the Butcher & the Boar – the food was fabulous! Our server Jen made several suggestions on the menu and did a great job of describing the meals in which we were interested. She really showed that she knew the menu and how everything was prepared! She also help to make our experience great by providing just the right amount of service and privacy – Awesome job Jen!!!

The beer selection has something for everyone. There are 30+ beers on tap with everything from wheat to hoppy including a nice selection of Stouts. I had the Stone Espresso IRS 2013 – full bodied, rich hint of coffee, and a great finish!

My wife ordered a bottle of wine – Dry Creek Vineyard Sangiovese - she shared it with me. It had great legs, rich bouquet, and also a great finish. Not too peppery – just enough to let you know it was there.

We started off with the” For the Table Appetizer “– great combination – Turkey Braunschweiger, Texas Wild Boar Ham, Red Wattle Sausage, Rooster Terrine, and Wild Boar Head Cheese! You get to try all the different meats and experience the richness contained in each. Our favorite was the Turkey Braunschweiger – delicious!! We even tried the Stuffed Jalapenos – smoked and stuffed with peanut butter, cream cheese, and then sprinkled with golden raisins! The sweet/salty/smoky combination played well together.

The main course was Smoked Beef Long Rib. Impressive plating in its simplicity – the 12” long rib, with a generous amount of meat, then glazed with a Tabasco molasses sauce. The meat was done just right - fall off the bone but still juicy - and the smokiness was not overpowering and there was a great combination of heat and sweet!

To accompany our main course we shared an order of the fried green tomatoes and the skillet cornbread. The tomatoes were cooked the way they’re supposed to be – with a little bite left to hold their structure and crispy on the outside. They were served on what we believe was a homemade Green Goddess dressing – perfect matching! The skillet cornbread had just the right amount of sweetness and was golden brown and delicious!

Dessert consisted of Baked Alaska and S’mores Plate. The Baked Alaska was smoked, the ice cream inside was smooth and firm, and it was served with an amazing bourbon Caramel sauce! The S’mores looked like regular marshmallows but they had a nugget of chocolate ganache in the center! The sugared chocolate grams that came with the dish were crunchy and very chocolaty! The coffee ice cream was just the right touch to finish off the dish.

If I had one thing to say about the Butcher and the Boar that is not absolutely positive it would be that it was a little tricky finding the valet parking drop off – it took a couple of circles to get there but we made it and got great service from the attendants.

My wife and I highly recommend the Butcher and the Boar as a great place to eat amazing food, experience great service, and enjoy a good conversation over beer and/or wine!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Omaha, Nebraska
“New King of the Twin Cities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Wow! The only nit is that it's noisy, but that is mostly due to the fact it's crowded. With reason. The service is impeccable. Attentive, but nowhere near rushed. The atmosphere is charged--love the patio and bar, and kudos for not installing the "obligatory" TVs in the bar.
I am a bourbon fan, so I loved the breadth of their choices, but the beer and wine lists were likewise impressive. And the wine pours are very generous.
But the food. OMG. Started with the turkey braunschweiger. Classic. The wife loved the wedge Salad, and mine, with the pig foot, was really exceptional. The spicy shrimp were excellent, and the lamb, oh my. The sides of greens and fried green tomatoes were also first rate.
I can't wait to go back and try the sausage. This and Bachelor Farmer are, IMHO, the best in town. This was the best meal I have had since Nightwood in Chicago, last fall. World class. A tip of the hat to the chef, owners, and staff.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice Restaurant but Somewhat Disappointed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Had dinner with 2 friends, all of us visiting from out of town. I'd researched restaurants and was really looking forward to the meal. Not knowing exactly when the three of us would get to the city, we arrived w/o a reservation. Despite being advised of a long wait, we were seated shortly after arriving. We are late 50's early 60's and while not feeling out of place, it was obvious that this was a popular spot with young professionals. The overall experience was good but not memorable. One friend ordered the beef ribs. They were so greasy and fatty as to be almost inedible. Can't remember what I had. The service was adequate; but again, not memorable.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brooklyn, New York
“Great meat-lovers and whiskey lovers place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

The huge portions of meat were grilled right in front of you. I got the double rib pork chop that was enough meat to serve a family of 4. The chop was cooked to perfection and the blueberry maple glaze was flavorful and not overwhelming - leaving the meat to be the star. The "hot" brussel sprouts were the best side dish I have had in a long time. They also are popular with the large variety of whiskeys. We ordered a $4 shot and it was very smooth. I understand they are one of the largest sellers of Knob Creek in the country - but at 120 proof, I passed. The tab was a bit high, and the quantity of food was way too much, but overall I would recommend this place.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bozeman, Montana
“My new favorite in Minneapolis ... & that says a lot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Ambiance, service & decor makes this my new favorite place. From the floor made of pennies to the beautiful display of well-thought-out draft beers, this place has it all.

The food is a bonus. Everything we had was delicious...and our big table had almost every thing on the menu. You cant go wrong w/ this place.

Visited May 2013