“Party by the kitchen!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Butcher & The Boar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 1,598 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 12th Street
Transit: Direct line stops on the #4 and #6 routes along Hennepin.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Party by the kitchen!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had a party of 8 for this dining experience and we were really thankful they seated us near the kitchen where the atmosphere is energetic and lively.

We opted for a family style meal so we could try many items since only a few of us had dined there previously. The sausage "For the Table" is the best sampler item. We also had the butcher's "For the Table" but nothing could compare to the sausage. We also shared the mussels (fantastic), swordfish (great), lobster grilled cheese (meh - lots of bread), pork chop (the size of a phone book), quail (a little too gamey for me), grits (delicious), greens (got raves from our vegan at the table), cauliflower (yum!), fried green tomatoes (heaven), cornbread (order multiples), stuffed jalapenos (not sure about these), BBQ almonds (good for munchies) and wedge salad (very good).

Drinks were great (I'd recommend the "Twinkle" if you like bubbly or the kir royale) and wine/bourbon was good. We shared dessert (banana pudding, grasshopper pie, s'mores and the chocolate parfait). My favorite was the grasshopper pie by a long shot, but everyone found something they loved.

Service was exceptional and with this size of group, we were especially pleased. We weren't rushed and we even got a nice photo out of the experience. We will definitely return and absolutely would recommend B&B to others. Just be sure you make a reservation ahead of time.

My only complaint: I wasn't pleased at all to find my vehicle unlocked when I went out to the parking lot that evening. The valet had parked it but since we stayed until 10pm or so, the host just holds your keys for you. Thankfully I had not left anything inside, but still.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Grand Marais
“Great food and service dining neighbors not so good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

As fellow restaurant owners we thought the food, presentation and food was excellent! The patrons to both sides of us must have the homemade sausage stuck up their you know what! I guess you cannot always choose who you dine with!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Minnesota
“So much Meat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Went to the restaurant with three other couples. We were impressed the moment we walked in to the restaurant. The entry floor has over $3000 worth of pennies inlaid. Our waiter was wonderful. We had a table next to the open kitchen so we could see them grill and cook all the orders. It did get a little warm. We had the grilled oysters, sausage sampler and wild meat sampler and there was plenty for the table. My husband and I shared the HUGE pork chop. I think it was the best pork chop we had ever eaten. We also had the pinto beans, fried green tomatoes and beer batter french fries for sides. Everything was wonderful. For dessert my husband had the gingersnap banana pudding with a meringue on top. He said it was to die for.
We will definitely go there again. The only bad thing about this place is that it is very loud.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Melbourne, Australia
“Very nice food, great beer and bourbon selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

My colleague and I dined at The Butcher and the Boar in early December 2012 on a Sunday night. We made a reservation and were glad we did as when we arrived restaurant was completely full, which was a great sign given most of the other restaurants in the area were completely empty.

We decided to sit at the bar and have a beer before dinner. The beer selection was really nice with lots of micro brewery beers from around the US (a little expensive though). We were offered to eat at the bar or take our table in the restaurant. Given how noisy the restaurant was, we decided to stay at the bar and go from there.

We ordered the HUGE beef rib, one of their signature sausages and a couple of sides. The beef rib was indeed massive and the meet fall apart tender, and I mean literally fall apart. The sausage was very tasty and the mustard sauce with it was a great addition. We had the spicy sprouts, which I don’t like at all normally, but these were actually edible! The grits were strange and not very nice but I think that’s just grits.

We finished off the meal with a bourbon each from their huge selection. Both were very tasty and generous in the pouring.

The only real issue I had with the meal were the waiting staff. They all seemed almost indifferent to the customers around them, like it was an inconvenience to them that we were there. Not really sure why that is the case but I have heard a few people mention this. I for one don’t like the service you get in some places in MSP that is OVER friendly but this feels a little too far the other way.

All in all we really enjoyed our meal here. The food was great, well presented, lots of it and very very tasty. The beer and bourbon selection was first class and helped top off the meal. Despite the slightly indifferent staff, we very much enjoyed the experience and will be back the next time in MSP!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“unique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Wonderful pork chop...best ever and we raise swine! Side dishes are unique and taste wonderful. Service was excellent.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere