“Hidden Gem” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 269 things to do in Minneapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The Museum of Russian Art is the only museum in North America devoted to preserving and presenting all forms of Russian art and artifacts. Housed in a beautifully renovated historic building, the Museum’s multi-level galleries provide a tranquil and intimate setting for TMORA’s exhibitions and educational events. Now on view: Women in Soviet Art: focusing on the representation and self-representation of women in Soviet art, this exhibition explores the roles and perspectives of women under the Soviet system from the 1950s–1980s.Jewish Life in the Russian Empire: Exhibited for the first time in 1867 at the seminal ethnographic exhibit in Moscow, the photographs depict a unique record of Jewish life in Tsarist Russia. It tells the story of Jewish communities within the Pale of Settlement, a region where permanent residency of Jewish peoples was allowed. Jewish Life in the Russian Empire will be on display in the lower gallery.
central Canada
12 attraction reviews
“Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

This place was on my 'list' for years and when at last I visited I was delighted. What a lovely building….and both exhibitions that I saw were outstanding. It's a pity that this place is not more widely known. Even the gift shop was delightful, and I'm not usually enthralled by the retail side of museums and galleries.

Visited October 2013

Prairie Village, Kansas
175 attraction reviews
“Beautiful ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Beautiful art side trip while in Minneapolis!! The gift shop is amazing, lots of teas to try! Very relaxed and fascinating!

Fareham, England, United Kingdom
74 attraction reviews
“Skip the museum and go straight to the gift shop.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I was visiting from out of town yesterday, and thought I would stop by as the reviews on Tripadvisor were so strong. I was very disappointed with the special exhibit downstairs. 10 paintings of fog is a few too many for myself. I did like the paintings of clouds better, but still at $9 per person I was expecting more.

The gift shop was very nice. Lots of color, detail, and variety. I would have been very interested to see an exhibit based on the beautiful Russian stacking dolls from the gift shop.

I was very glad I left my four children (6-13 years) at home.

Visited May 2014
Seattle, Washington
4 attraction reviews
“A Delightful Small Museum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

My husband and I were surprised and pleased to find this small jewel of a museum. We first became interested in Russian art during a visit to St. Petersburg (then Leningrad) in the mid-1980's, when we were able to view both the Hermitage and the Russian Museum. We were eager to see what would be on display here and the works on view did not disappoint. The main exhibition, The Art of Collecting, features significant works from the collection of Raymond and Susan Johnson and does indeed provide insight into the complex world of collection building, as well as an overview of Soviet-era art. The second exhibition currently on display is a darkly moving one featuring the works of Eva Levina-Rosengolts, an avant-garde artist who suffered through exile in Siberia to emerge in the post-Stalinist era and continue her work. The works are on loan from Joan Afferica, L. Clark Seelye Professor Emerita of History at Smith College, who was responsible for introducing the artist's work in the West. The Rosengolts works can be difficult to view, but seem well worth the investment to me.

The museum itself is a converted church, a most welcoming place with expansive galleries and an especially large museum shop that is well stocked and may offer tea in the afternoons. All in all, this provides an unusual and most pleasing museum experience, and at least when we were there, a chance to experience an art space in a peaceful, unhurried way.

Visited May 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
30 attraction reviews
“Wonderful Museum, worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Have been here several times and have always enjoyed the exhibits. The Romanov collection was well worth the time. This museum has earned my trust, so I have come to expect a good exhibit and they always deliver! Their gift shop is very nice too!

Visited March 2014