“The best thing about it is the price.” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #610 of 1,405 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Chinese
Anoka, Minnesota
“The best thing about it is the price.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2015

This restaurant is located in a strip mall in a run-down part of the city. This is no tony, up-town sushi joint. The cost for the buffet when we went, 5 p.m. Saturday, was $11 each. That made what we found worth the cost. What was a bit disconcerting was the employee who was lounging at the entrance refusing to do so much as answer our question " do we seat ourselves?" No, she merely pointed to a vacant hostess station. The hostess station was soon populated by an indifferent, gum-smacking lady who ran the basic "how many" at us like she could not have given a hoot if she were an owl.
Once seated a very nice young lady asked our drink order and we were off! There were, I think, 10 steam tables. Two or three were devoted to dessert and salad, while the rest were the most delicious assortment of Chinese-style dishes imaginable! We enjoyed plate after plate of rice and noodles, and fried and glazed this and that. I discovered the sushi bar at the rear and loaded up on beautiful rolls and fish on rice, and pickled ginger and wasabi. I think there was a gallon of wasabi...
The restroom looked as though it had been the victim of a fraternity party, the neighborhood is one step above a war-zone, and the food could not be better.
Depending what you go for and care about, this could be your best or your worst dining experience for the money.
I am bringing a date next time. If the food doesn't endear me to her, she will at least cling to me for protection as we try to exit the area.

• Visited April 2015
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Burnsville, Minnesota
“couples night out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2015 via mobile

The food selection is phenomenal and if takes a couple of visits to try everything. My girlfriend is vegetarian and I'm not, we're both very satisfied.

Visited January 2015
Iowa
“Don't judge a book by its cover.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2015

We came here on a whim. We needed to eat somewhere Christmas day, and we'd seen signs in the light rail stations advertising it. The restaurant is just steps from the train station, and it turned out to be a very nice meal.

Teppanyaki is located in a rather down-market strip mall that features a Savers thrift store, Family Dollar, and Aldi. On the outside Tepopanyaki looks like an old discount store that has been converted to a restaurant, and that's probably exactly what it is. Lake Street is far from the nicest looking part of Minneapolis, and we were expecting the restaurant to fit in with its neighbors.

Inside, though, this is really quite a pleasant restaurant. It's big enough that it can handle a lot of people without seeming crowded. It's pleasantly decorated in muted colors, and it's kept very clean. The workers are friendly and efficient. The buffet was kept filled, and they replaced our drinks before they were empty. We even got a nice Christmas bonus, a lovely ornament that was presented to us with the check.

It's hard to imagine just how enormous the buffet is. There's steam table after steam table filled with almost everything you could imagine. The bulk of the food is Asian, but there are also Italian, Mexican, and traditional American comfort foods. With the exception of the desserts (which are always difficult to prepare in quantity), everything I tried was very good. In addition to the main buffet they have a sushi bar and also the namesake teppanyaki grill, which is similar to a Mongolian barbecue--with raw foods stir fried to order. If a customers can't find something they like here, they're being too picky.

They have different prices for lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch here. On Christmas they used the brunch pricing (which is the highest), and drinks were additional. We felt we got our money's worth, though, and the place would be a real bargain at lunchtime. I'd certainly come back here, and I think it's a good choice for almost anyone.

• Visited December 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Write a review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Absolutely love their sushi here, it is always fresh and there's always a wide selection, they also have an incredible Mongolian bar.

“Average overall”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

On the plus side, there was a lot of different types of food here, including crayfish and crabs. On the negative, I received looks of contempt for only getting waters. We are not a soda family, so not sure what the problem was with this. The floor was so sticky our feet stuck as we loaded plates at the buffet. None of the food was really great. I agree with previous reviews that every dish tasted the same. The kung pao was totally bland, the coconut shrimp was totally dried out. The clam chowder and egg drop soup was worst I ever had. There just really was nothing special here worth going back for. The buffets were a mess, especially the dessert one. The foods I had were mostly overdone, dried out or swimming in extra grease and oils. If this is the type of typical Chinese buffet you enjoy, then this might be ok for you. As for me and my family, we will try something else in the future.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere