“Stay away” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rare Steak and Sushi

Rare Steak and Sushi
615 2nd Avenue, Minneapolis, MN (Downtown)
(612) 752-9595
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rare Steak and Sushi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #362 of 1,597 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Transit: Bus stop directly in front of hotel.
“Stay away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The initial impression of the restaurant is a poor one. Very few booths, mostly table seating, and the place looks more like a sports bar than a nice restaurant.

The food was not very good. My steak was OK, but I was expecting better than that for $30+. The side dishes were terrible. My wife's potatoes were cold and the polenta we both had was flavorless and seemed like they had been sitting out for an extended period of time.

Although there were not many people in the restaurant when we arrived, our waiter was not very attentive.

In short, it was overpriced, poor service, and not very good food. I would avoid this establishment.

Visited January 2013

Minnesota
“Food -> decent; service -> terrible”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I will say overall the food was really good. We had the steak and salmon cakes and both were decent. We also had a salad which was good and then we ordered 3 sushi rolls: mojo, mexican and hawaiian all three were good.

What sucked was the service. It wasn't even busy in there and it took FOREVER to get drinks and our food. We initially sat there for a good 5-10 min. before our server came over to take our drink order. It took a half hour to get one glass of wine and a beer - seriously? I let her know that it was ridiculous for it take that long to bring us our drinks and she apologized and comped us for them but at that point we'd written this place off. There are much better sushi restaurants w/way better service around town.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, nc
“Nice lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We bought a Groupon to use while staying at the Grand Hotel where Rare is located. My husband had the bone-in ribeye. He was very happy with it. The ribeye was well seasoned & cooked correctly. The asparagus side was average. I had the vegetable sushi roll & the spicy tempura sushi roll. I am not a raw sushi eater. I found the rolls to be very tasty. The spicy crab on the tempura roll was the perfect touch with a still crispy shrimp tempura inside. Very good. We shared a piece of carrot cake which was also good.

Visited November 2012
GRAND FORKS
“So So Food and Pathetic Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I had the misfortune to have business in Minneapolis and stayed at the much overrated Grand. Since Rare is in the Grand my staff and I ate there several times for the sake of conveinience. Avoid this place. The service is virtually nonexistant. One night seven of us waited two hours for our dinners to arrive. We could hardly get the server to bring us a drink or even water. Sadly every night we ate there it was the same story no matter how many or few of us there were.
The food was ok if you like your steaks not cooked as ordered and over priced. The sushi was decent by midwest standards but it was so slow in coming that when it arrived it had lost its appeal.
We did let anyone who would listen that service was terrible but no one appeared to care and there never was a manager in sight.
Oh, and breakfast: worst I have had in years. How do you wreck oatmeal?
Skip this place.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, UK
“Steak ok, sushi pretty good.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I dined here a couple of times on a recent visit to Minneapolis, opting for steak the first occasion, and sushi the second. The steaks are great value, priced very keenly for the cuts available. My steak was accurately cooked (requested black and blue) and quite tasty. Not the best, but not the worst.

A couple of days later I had sushi, which is the other speciality of the restaurant. The range of sushi options is fairly bewildering (but in a good way!) so I opted for one of the chef's recommendation plates. The fish tasted amazingly fresh, and was beautifully laid out on the plate. It was served with an interesting salad, and a bowl of deeply flavoured miso soup on the side.

If you're visiting Rare, I'd recommend going for the sushi ahead of the steak.

• Visited October 2012