“Steak, yes. Rare, no.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rare Steak and Sushi

Rare Steak and Sushi
615 2nd Avenue, Minneapolis, MN (Downtown)
(612) 752-9595
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rare Steak and Sushi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #252 of 1,405 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Transit: Bus stop directly in front of hotel.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Steak, yes. Rare, no.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Pleasant room, reasonable prices. But the dinner was VERY disappointing, especially for a restaurant with this name. I ordered the strip steak rare, and it arrived more like medium. If I go back again (possible, not likely), I will not order steak again. It was a huge disappointment.

Visited March 2012

“Lowest Health Department Rated Resturant in Minneapolis!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

I dined at this establishment on a Saturday night, and for having no customers, I can't believe how horrible the service was. But the worst part of my experience was opening the Sunday paper the next morning to find a full blown-front page article about Rare and how they are the lowest Heath department rated Resturant in the city!! I almost got sick right there, yuk!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“You would have to work really hard to provide worse service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

We had a company event in the Sushi bar and they weren't ready when we arrived.

The waitress took our order and I ordered water. I was told to walk across the room to a water station and get it myself. Others had the same experience. Even the bartender directed people to the table in the corner.

We were in the downstair bar and couldn't get Internet and the waitress directed us to a table by the window so we could use the Crown Plaza's Internet. We have solved the problem we just go to the Crown Plaza now.

I could go on with a lot more stories. These are not isolated incidents. It is so disappointing because I have always had excellent service at Kimpton hotels in thebpast.

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Excellent food, excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

My wife, our daughter and I were very pleased with our dinner at Rare. We did not try the sushi, but the beef, the vegetables, and the salads were all top notch. And the service was just right-- personable, knowledgeable, and prompt. An excellent evening!

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“I really want to love this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

I took my mom to Rare Steak and Sushi for her birthday, having just heard about the restaurant. Friday night, I was planning on valet parking, but I'll be danged if I could find it. The restaurant is in the Grand Hotel Minneapolis, and because of the bus only lanes you could not pull in front of the hotel. It turns out the valet is on the corner of 2nd and 6th, just around the corner from the main entrance. Live and learn.

The lobby was done up nicely for the holidays, and the restaurant is on the 2nd floor. Walking into the restaurant, there seemed to be no host on duty so we stood around for some minutes until we were noticed. It would have been nice if one of the bartenders had at least looked over (the bar is right there) and acknowledged that someone would be with us shortly.

I was surprised with how empty the restaurant was for a Friday night, but once we were seated, the groups near us seemed to be having a wonderful time. Our server was Paige, and she was a delight throughout the evening. We started with Caesar Salads which were not overdressed, and anchovies were optional for those like me that enjoy them. For the main course, mom had an 8 ounce filet cooked medium rare, with buttermilk garlic whipped potatoes and grilled asparagus with gruyere cheese. I chose the 20 ounce bone in rib-eye cooked medium with a potato and celery root gratin and carrots cooked in pineapple juice and ginger.

The food itself was quite good, and definitely worth the price ($24 for the filet and sides, $28 for the rib-eye and sides). Also, the steaks were cooked exactly to temp and consistent from the outside edge to the center.

I think my main overall complaint is the room itself. It felt a bit cold. I enjoy a minimalist look, so that wasn't it, but there was something about the room that just kept reminding me I was in a hotel. The only other complaint I had is they would clear dishes as people finished, instead of waiting until the table was done to do one clearing. I see that quite often in Minneapolis and it's not a major annoyance, just something that you notice; almost like they are trying too hard.

I will go back there again. There was no rush, most tables were there as long or longer than we were, enjoying both sushi and entrees. The staff was not pushing to turn tables, but again, the restaurant was only 40% full perhaps. I think it is still a bit unknown in the city. If you want a very reasonable meal though, in a relaxed atmosphere, I would check it out. Oh, and take good care of Paige, she was a delight.

• Visited December 2011