“Fantastic, eclectic brunch!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Bachelor Farmer

The Bachelor Farmer
50 2nd Ave, Minneapolis, MN (Warehouse District)
612-206-3920
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bachelor Farmer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 1,578 restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Warehouse District
Cross street: North First Street
Description: The Bachelor Farmer serves fresh and simple food that honors Minnesota's Nordic heritage.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fantastic, eclectic brunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is just a really, really neat place and a fantastic brunch spot! The gin drinks were light and refreshing and I enjoyed a delicious sausage and baked egg entree. However, the highlight is the infamous cart. We must have tried every baked good on there - salted brownie, caramelized onion biscuit, brioche, blueberry muffin - and it was all amazing! I also highly recommend the salted strawberries!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

82% Recommend
Chicago, Illinois
“Have a Caraway Shandy with your meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This place is fantastic! Exceptional farm to table menu. I went with friends of mine while I was visiting Minneapolis and we shared alot of food. We each had something off the cart that came around. Then we ordered everything on the Smorgebord and each ordered a breakfast entree as well. Nothing dissapointed.

I did not eat for the rest of the day.

The real winner here is the Caraway Shandy. It was one of the best drinks I have ever had.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canada, Kentucky
“Great main course; toasts need work”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Had a dinner with relatives I was visiting in the area. The service was first rate, and my main course, pork medallions, had plenty of great flavor. But the toast options need work, as others have noted.

We ordered two toast types, the pea based veggie spread was pretty tasty, but the house-pickled herring was bland. You couldn't tell that the fish was herring. And the mustard sauce was too mild to give the dish any pizazz.

If I returned, I'd skip the toasts. Cantaloupe sorbet was great for dessert.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Locavore heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The style of Bachelor Farmer is totally what I love...very quirky and trendy and they base their restaurant on a locavore theme which is a growing trend that I love. The hostesses and waitresses we just as cool and quirky as the restaurant itself.

One thing I loved was they had a chalkboard and every once in a while they wrote up a different wine that maybe someone didn't like or had ordered a half bottle so they would write the wine name and the check marks to see how many glasses for available. Super fun idea and for cheapskates like us it made it fun to watch for good wines popping up for cut rate glasses prices

The food was delicious. I ordered a pickled herring toast to begin with and the roast duck breast as my entree. Everything was tasty and well presented

Within the restaurant is a super cool bar which is a fun place to hang whilst waiting for your reservations. However UNDER the bachelor farmer is a speakeasy type hidden bar called MARVEL and this is beautiful space for prohibition style cocktails.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Needs flavor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I visited the Batchelor Farmer restaurant on recommendations of a friend who told me it was highly regarded in the Twin Cities. It is one of a large number of restaurants that have emerged in the former warehouse district of Minneapolis. The location is near the Mississipi and a good place to end a walk along the river or over Stone Bridge. We were warmly received by the staff.The menu features, as advertised, fresh local ingregriants. We divided three coures. The first course was a bib lettuce salad with roasted walnuts. It was wonderful and had just the right combination of oil, lemon and walnuts. The second course was entitled toasts. There are several on the menu. We had one of these to split of toast with a small dish of creamed corn and cucumbers which was to be spooned on to the toast. The toast was soggy and the dipping of creamed corn was sogging. This course is a very poor imitation of Italian bruscheta. They need to check out how the Italians do it. The last course was brisket and more corn in a watery sauce. The brisket was tender and the corn was, oh well. The service was delightful. We ended the evening by going to the basement speakeasy that has no sign and two bouncers. The location is great, has lots of parking and good service. I think their kitchen needs to focus on techniques that use herbs and spices to bring out the flavor. The restaurant has too much good competion around it to keep up their present behavior.

• 2 of 5 stars Food