“A good local/organic in SW Minneapolis” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blackbird Cafe

Blackbird Cafe
3800 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55409-1304 (Downtown)
612-823-4790
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A good local/organic in SW Minneapolis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Nice, unique spot. Great food using local, organic ingredients. Cool space. Friendly, competent staff. Family owned and run. I go here quite a bit for both dinner and breakfast.

94% Recommend
Minneapolis, MN
“Fabulous, start to finish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

This is a fantastic restaurant. Friendly service, eclectic decor, amazing food. What more can you ask for?

My husband, teenage son, and I visited on Saturday around noonish. The online menu brought us in. It was such a delightful meal. I had the amazing Oxtail Hash. Now, many might be intimidated and or avoid oxtails like the plague. It's just tender beef. Quit thinking about it and order it! It's amazing. Root vegetable has with two perfectly cooked eggs, homemade hollandaise sauce and homemade wheat bread toast. Astonishingly good. Son's meal was relatively boring, but he's a teenager--just a scrambled eggs breakfast, but it was fantabulous. Bacon was out of this world and he ate the homemade hash browns in about 30 seconds. He couldn't stop eating to comment on the taste, which we parents know equals "Excellent!" My husband had the Collen O'brien breakfast. He's a spice fiend and this got him pink in the face in a glorious way. The homemade andouille sausage was the source of the zip. Yum.

The coffee was excellent. However, this is a bit pet peeve of mine, just when I got it creamed and sugared just to my liking, someone would come along and top it off. Ugh. I hate this. Just leave me a carafe, really, this is petty, but I can't be the only "leave my coffee alone" person. The only other things the restaurant could work on are: our waitress spoke so softly half the time we had no idea what she was saying and they need a changing table in the bathroom. The father who used the woman's room before me used the sink and left some evidence behind, ew. Just a door attached fold down deal, I'm sure, would be appreciated in this neighborhood filled with young families.

OK, so why are you still reading this. Go. Now. In fact, as I write this it's happy hour and I'm honestly thinking about making the drive from the 'burbs just to sit and eat what looks like the most amazing happy hour menu around.

Thanks Blackbird Cafe. You'll see me again. And if you don't recognize me, look for the woman covering her coffee cup every time someone's doing the java jive across the dining room.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good food, consistently poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Nice wait staff, strangely marginally competent though. Wait fifteen minutes for coffee, soup arrives with meal, can't seem to be able to handle a rush. How can the hostess not know what their soups are. I keep wanting them to get their act together but....

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Consistently great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is our go to place for dinner and breakfast. The menu has something for everyone, small plates, sandwiches, full entrees and also great daily specials. Offerings are creative and the staff is excellent. Prices are very reasonable and they also have a nice variety of beers and wines. Very cool atmosphere too.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bellevue, Washington
“Fresh and flavorful foods, great brunch spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I've been to Blackbird a few times for their brunch. I've been impressed with all the dishes that I've tried - pancake specials, salmon hash, po'boy sandwich, black bean burger, and hot cereal. All of their dishes are fresh, flavorful, and you leave feeling full. I think prices are very reasonable given the quality of food. Fun decor and good service.

• Visited November 2012