“Gourmet Hotdogs, Unique brews, Energetic Atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tilia

Tilia
2726 43rd St., Minneapolis, MN (Downtown)
612-354-2806
Menu
Update restaurant details
Ranked #46 of 1,551 restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Gourmet Hotdogs, Unique brews, Energetic Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband and I went there to celebrate my birthday and were delighted by the surprising variety here. While the brews on tap were ones we had (mostly) never heard of before, the bartender was able to help us discover new brews we otherwise wouldn't have discovered with great explainations and a few samples. My husband loves hotdogs, so he was delighted to discover a gourmet twist to his classic favorite on the menu. As other reviewers have noted, this place is busy, but that's part of what gives it such fantastic energy. One of the many reasons why we love South Minneapolis!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

83% Recommend
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Happy hour haven and well presented small and large plates.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Tilia has been a great stand by for happy hour for me since it opened in the neighborhood. This is due in part to: the thoughtful, extensive beer selection, the wait staff and the cozy environment one can find around happy hour time (or a tad earlier). As dinner time approaches, things can get pretty crowded here and parking can also be more inconvenient. They do have some parking available on the next block a short walk away. The food is very well prepared and presented; a bit of a bistro/ fine dining mix. Menu is limited but almost everything on it is good. In my opinion, selections tend a bit towards the "meat" side of the spectrum but the menu is well rounded overall. Plate sizes can very greatly between dishes, so ask before you order. Tilia is on my short places to go back to over and over again even though the local culinary competition near Lake Harriet and 50th/France has picked up in the last year.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hancock, Michigan
“Great ambiance, kid friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We went here at 8 pm one weekday evening with two little kids (wouldn't usually do this, but we were on vacation). The staff was super welcoming and accommodating, and gave the kids activity packs and a fun menu. For us adults, the food was excellent and the restaurant was loud enough that we didn't have to worry about the kids being a bit loud too. :) Highly recommended!

Visited January 2013
Minneapolis
“Cute restaurant with lots of hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I am probably grading Tilia lower than most because we went on a Saturday night. We got there early at 5:30 and was told the wait was an hour. After an hour and a half we were still not seated. The bar was so crowded we had to wait by the bathrooms. When we were finally seated after an hour and 45 minutes I think my expectations were pretty high. Why else would it be so crowded and why would people who were coming and going from the bathroom say the food was phenomenal?

Appetizer was the pork belly and I must admit it was exceptional and I don't eat pork really. It was braised perfectly and served with apples and kale and a yummy sauce. After that, I would say the entrees were good but nothing special. I ordered the chicken since one of the women from the bathroom recommended it. It is served with Parmesan malto-meal and braised celery root. It was good but not exceptional.

Our other entrees were also good while the wine was average. Our dessert was the caramel pot-d-creme and it was very good but not great.

I agree with the others that this is a cute neighborhood restaurant and it only seats 40 so anticipate a wait for dinner. But if the wait is going to be more than an hour skip this and go next door to The Harriet Brasserie - less crowded and better ambiance in my opinion.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Apple Valley, Minnesota
“Great neighborhood restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I love the character of the neighborhood - I don't live there, but drove a half hour to get to Tilia. Our server was very attentive and kept the wine flowing. The Butternut Squash Soup was amazing - the best tasting and most interesting preparation right at the table. You must try the Brussels Sprouts too. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Visited February 2013