“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Free Breakfast
Ranked #32 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2005

We recently stayed at the Residence Inn and truly enjoyed our stay. The breakfast attendant was fabulous and extremely personable. The complimentary breakfast served eggs, sausage and many other hot items that was positively unexpected.

The waterpark was perfect for our 2 & 4 year old grandkids!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Newton, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2005

We were really disappointed in this hotel. You do get a suite, which is handy, but the furniture was old and worn and the room had a funny smell so we spent as little time as possible there. The bathroom was also very small and not recently updated.

The hotel had free breakfast, but it was a pretty pitiful display and you had to fight for a table to eat your cold eggs and stale bagel and wash it down with lukewarm coffee with coffeemate.

We were surprised to discover when we walked around that the Courtyard by Marriott in the same complex was MUCH NICER. It has a legitimate restaurant versus a buffet in a lounge at the Residence Inn.

One good feature if you have kids (but you can use this from the Courtyard too) is a big indoor water park that was teeming with kids. Not our thing, but it looked like many families were having a blast there.

• Stayed October 2004
San Tan Valley, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2005

My wife and I just spent a night there this weekend. The hotel is very nice, as was the room. The breakfast is far better than many I've in hotels around the world. The woman in charge of the breakfast was named Sally and was one of the cheeriest people I've ever met. She seemed to make it her mission to greet each diner and bus the tables. The only thing that keeps me from 5 stars is that the property is confusing. There are 3 hotels in the same complex and the entry/parking area is poorly marked. I stood in line 10 minutes to check in only to find I was in the wrong lobby.
The perks were: heated underground parking, a newspapaer delivered to your room, and a full complement of in-room needs and a nice room service menu.
Keep in mind you will pay for parking ($15.00) each night, but this is standard for downtown hotels, and you can pay more at others.

• Stayed January 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2004

My husband and I booked this hotel on a Saturday night August 2004 to attend the Vikings game. When I called and made the reservation, I held it with my VISA credit card. When my husband and I checked in, we had not brought our credit card along as we intended to pay cash. We were told we could not get a room unless we had a credit card that could be "swiped" in case of extra room charges, etc. We explained how we wanted to pay CASH and would even pay UP FRONT. But we were TURNED AWAY and were not allowed to keep our room! We were APPALLED that a hotel would turn away a CASH CUSTOMER!! I wrote a letter to the management and did not even get a response to this payment policy. I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemies!

Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2004

Stayed here for 1 week in Aug 04. My room is a studio with kitchen. The kitchen is fairly well equipped: there was a full size refrig, microwave with built-in exhaust fan, 2 stove range, sink, and dishwasher. You get a few cheap pots and pans to use. There isn't a really good grocery store nearby. The staff will point you to a small store ~5 min away, but I recommend going farther (if you have a car) to a real store like a Rainbow or Cub. There is also a co-op food store in Uptown. I find that everything in this city is easy to get to.

The room is pretty clean. I'm impressed with having a fireplace in the living room area. The windows are large (3 of them) and can be easily opened--that's good when you are cooking.

My bed was full-size and pretty comfortable. The only negative is that, like other moderately priced hotels, it uses the cheapie type of blanket. I always wonder how clean it is, especially the one here, is already very gray from overuse.

My housekeeper tended to be on the frugal side. I only got 1 bottle of shampoo the whole stay. On the other hand, the lady who maintains the breakfast was very nice, plus she kept the breakfast buffet very well-stocked.

I requested a quiet room and got one on the 4th fl (top floor) far corner. It was truely very quiet even with the windows open at night. It's a bit far from the elevator, but worth the walk.

As to its location, this hotel is in a quiet NW corner of downtown. It isn't exactly located at the tourist attractions like Nicolet Mall. For example, to get to the Warehouse district (where there are lots of restaurants and bars), it's a 10 min. walk. My destination was to the Univ of Minn; it's only <10 min drive in the morning.

• Stayed August 2004, traveled on business
Omaha, NE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2004

We stayed here during January 2004. My husband, myself, our 2 children (ages 2 and 4) planned a Mall of America getaway and thought this would be a great place to stay because of the waterpark. We reserved a 2 bedroom suite. Upon check-0in the clerk was very friendly. When we went into our suite it was handicapped so everything was very low. It was also across the hall from the housekeeping office so it was very noisy. We asked to be moved to another room and the clerk on duty at the time acted as if we were asking her to do cart wheels down the hall and was very rude. When we were moved to our new suite on the 3rd floor we found out how much larger this room was than the one we had previously. The new room had a full kitchen with an oven and stove, not so in our handicapped room. During the weekend this hotel is over run with children and is very noisy. I would request a room on the top floor (4th) next time. Also on our first day to the water park (which we had to pay seperately for, about $20.00 for the family for the full day) the water was ice cold. My kids will swim in anything and they refused to swim in this pool. I complained to the manager about it and was told they had just cleanedand refilled the pool and that it should be warmer tomarrow. No one ever offered a refund. I had to ask. Also the books in the room state the height requirement for the water slide as 42" (which my son was excited about) but when we got to the park they said no it was 46". My son was so diappointed because he was 44" tall. Our trip wasn't a total waste we had a great time at Mall of America and the second room was very nice and clean. Except for the rude girl at the desk all the staff was very nice. The lifeguards at the pool were wonderful on the weekends. Try to avoid the weekends because the pool is overloaded with kids. Many locals have birthday parties there in the arcade/food area of the pool. For the price we paid (about $250 a night) I think admission to the water park should have been included with our room.

• Stayed May 2004
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2003

Very nice, clean, new hotel with great location and lots to see and do. The nearby indoor water park was a perfect feature. The Rooms are all-suite and the prices are well worth it.

Been to Residence Inn at The Depot? Share your experiences!