“A Fine Choice for Convenient Access to Most Attractions” 3 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #32 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Cambridge, MA
“A Fine Choice for Convenient Access to Most Attractions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I just spent a long weekend at the Minneapolis Marriott Residence Inn at the Depot.

The friendly staff offered a cordial welcome before we moved into the expected Marriott Residence Inn accommodations. Our living room was spacious, the kitchen well stocked and the bedroom a tad crammed with furniture.

Breakfast was of average quality, but presented abundant options for every taste and the cozy room with the pool table provided moments of fun and relaxation. While there is no bar at the Residence Inn, the one at the Renaissance, at the opposite end of the ample parking lot, is pretty good. Although a long indoor corridor will take you there, we recommend going through the parking lot to avoid the loud commotion at the Depot Waterpark indoors swimming pools, slides and arcade… On the other hand, we are sure that your kids will love it!

The very convenient location is walking distance to the wonderful Stone Arch Bridge over the Mississippi river, the surprisingly modern Guthrie Theatre (which affords sweeping views of the Mississippi river), the University of Minnesota, Nicollet Island and “old town”. We also walked to Nicollet Mall, a lovely walk along this downtown neighborhood where you can visit Mary Tyler Moore’s statue (ant take your picture next to it!), enjoy the stores, lively atmosphere and finish your day at one of the restaurants. We enjoyed cocktails and good Italian food at Zelo. A car would probably be most convenient if you'll also want to visit neighboring St. Paul.

All in all, a fine choice for convenient access to most attractions in Minneapolis.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Casandra K, Manager at Residence Inn at The Depot, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
We appreciate your kind review. We are happy to hear we were a convenient hotel for your visit. I'm glad to hear our friendly staff was welcoming to your family. I'm pleased you were able to explore the city and see many of the attractions in the local area. We take great pride being in a historical area of downtown Minneapolis.

I hope if you are in the Minneapolis area again you will come and visit us at the Residence Inn Depot Minneapolis. Casandra Kreger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Brookfkeld, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed for four nights for our son's wedding. The accommodations were comfortable and all of the people working were courteous and helpful. The studio we stayed in was spacious and quiet. Even the rooms near the elevators were quiet. It was an easy walk to downtown and a short drive to almost anywhere. The bed was a little uncomfortable but not terrible. Many of our wedding guests stayed here and all were happy with their stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review. I'm glad to hear you and the wedding guests had a positive experience while staying with us. Your right about an easy walk to downtown. We are slightly on the outskirts of the center of the city, but it lends itself easy access to in and out of the city. We will make sure to take a look at the bed in the room you stayed to make it is up to our standards.

I hope if you are in the Minneapolis area again you will choose to stay at the Residence Inn Minneapolis Depot. Casandra Kreger
Riverside
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed this hotel because it was the host hotel for the Minneapolis Marathon and booked it 6 months in advance with a great rate. Unfortunately 2 weeks before the marathon the race director chose to change the start line and now the hotel was 5 miles away from the start.

Anyways, when we first got here after a long drive we mistakenly went to the Renaissance Inn portion of this hotel instead of the Residence Inn. Signage could have been marked better to clearly distinguish which hotel is what since they are attached. I would definitely classify this as a family hotel and had I known this I would have chosen to stay at the Renaissance next door. There is a water park attached to the hotel and there are kids running around and screaming everywhere. We asked for a quiet room because we had to be up at 4:30am to run the marathon. When we got to our room all we could here were kids running around in the room above ours. Sounded like they were going to fall through the floor it was so loud. After going to bed early we were woken up by the same noisy kids/adults running around. Thankfully they quieted down but not after waking us up.

The rooms are really nice though and we had a one bedroom queen suite. The separate living room and full size kitchen area were nice although we didn't get a chance to use them much. It was great to be able to spread out though. The beds were not very comfortable but the room was clean. Breakfast was merely ok but what do you expect for a free breakfast.

Again, if you don't like kids running around then book elsewhere. Otherwise get a room on the fourth floor.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 4th floor unless you want to hear kids running around above you.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the rooms. I do apologize for the noise issues you experienced during your stay. We do attract children on the weekends due to the waterpark. I can understand how a quiet room away from the noise would be needed especially when you are running in a marathon the next day. If your travels bring you the Minneapolis area next time please contact me personally and I would be happy to set up your accommodations. I will ensure your stay is perfect. Casandra Kreger
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I had a conference at the Rennisance Inn. I searched and found this hotel was attached to the Rennisance Inn. You have to walk through the water park that attaches the two hotels. We chose this hotel because it has a suite with a full fridge and microwave. They have a hot breakfast available in the mornings. The will shop for you at Super Target and get items you want and bring it back to the hotel and put it in your room and all you pay is the exact cost on the recieipt. This is a very nice service. The staff was very kind and kept my boxes I used at the conference before, during, and after the conference. The room was fairly quiet. I would have liked if they had the evening reception during the three days we were there. I also would have liked it if they had a hot tub you could go in without paying maney for the water park.

Room Tip: If you are going to the Renessance inn for a conference be sure to ask for rooms closer to the other...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Casandra K, Manager at Residence Inn at The Depot, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are happy your experience at the Residence Inn Depot and Renaissance Depot was so positive. We want our guests to have a home away from home feeling when staying with us. If you return to Minneapolis I hope you choose to stay the Residence Inn Depot again.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

If you mind young children and the noise that comes with them, do not go to this place on weekends or stay away from the breakfast room. There is a waterpark attached to the hotel so it does attract families.
I do not mind and I loved my stay here, whilst on business. The rooms come with a fully functional kitchen, fridge, microwave (with complimentary popcorn), big flatscreen, free wireless, ironing board, you name it.... I found it very comfortable to be here, easy to walk to the Minneapolis skyway and the staff was very helpful and nice. Breakfast is inclusive, nothing fancy but enough to get you started. Used the fitness room in the Renaissance next door, which was good enough. All in all a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Casandra K, Manager at Residence Inn at The Depot, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We hope if you are in the Minneapolis area again you will chose to stay at the Residence Inn Depot.
minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Spent the weekend downtown with the family. Rooms are good for the family since there is a bedroom and living area with pull out couch and kitchen.

4 waterpark passes were included in our stay which was nice but the pool is freezing. We couldn't stay in there for long.

We ordered Pizza Luce for dinner to the room, which is always delicious.

Rooms were clean and staff was friendly. The continental breakfast in the a.m. Was delicious and offered a good variety of options.

The ice rink wasn't open while we there but that would've been fun. This hotel could be the perfect location for a family/holidazzle weekend.

• Stayed December 2012
Casandra K, Manager at Residence Inn at The Depot, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are so happy to hear that your family enjoyed their stay at the Residence Inn Depot. We appreicate the feedback you gave and I will defintley share with our team. I hope if your travels bring you back to Minneapolis you will choose to stay with us again at the Depot!
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed at the Residence Inn by Marriott – Minneapolis at The Depot for 3 nights in early April 2013; my arrival date was Thursday, April 4th, and my departure date was Sunday, April 7th. This property was recommended by The Guthrie Theater – the venue I had traveled from Las Vegas to Minneapolis specifically to see two Shakespeare plays that were being performed there (Twelfth Night and The Taming of the Shrew). I would like to, first of all, give kudos to the front desk staff. Shortly after I made my reservations, I found myself in the position of needing to take a later flight from Las Vegas to Minneapolis than I originally planned. I was allowed a very late arrival on what turned out to be Friday morning (at about 3:00AM), April 5th with no hassle whatsoever. Furthermore, I was also allowed to stay in my room a bit later than the regular check out time (of 11:00AM) since my flight did not actually leave MSP until 4:10PM on Sunday, April 7th – another convenience for which I am grateful. Thanks again to the front desk staff. Never having stayed at a Residence Inn by Marriott prior to this trip, I was very pleasantly surprised by the accommodations; it was like having a fully-furnished studio apartment all to myself. The décor was warm and inviting and I always felt comfortable throughout my stay. Room Service – which I ordered several times during my stay – was OUTSTANDING; another round of kudos must go to both Noel and Moe who brought me my meals on multiple occasions. Both of these gentlemen were very friendly and welcoming, and saw to it that I had everything I needed as regards my dining needs. Two drawbacks that I think travelers should be aware of came to light during the Saturday evening of my stay. At approximately 5:00PM that Saturday, it seemed as if multiple herds of parents and children invaded the hotel. I was in room #110 on the ground floor – and, for a good 5 or 6 hours, children and adults were running up and down the halls outside my room, screaming and yelling (and in some cases using the door knockers as if they were hammers) as if they had no cognizance of the fact that they were in a public place and that they might well be disturbing other guests with their loudness. Then, at approximately 10:00PM – for a good couple of hours or so – a loud thumping base sound could be heard from a nightclub very nearby. None of this made for a very restful sleep Saturday evening April 6th. Aside from these issues, the Residence Inn by Marriott – Minneapolis at The Depot was a decent enough place to stay for a few days while taking in some live theatre at The Guthrie – only a few short blocks away – an easy walk.

Room Tip: Since I have only stayed at this property once -- I can only say to watch out for rooms on the groun...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Residence Inn Depot. I'm glad to hear that during your stay with us you enjoyed the property and the city of Minneapolis. I do apologize that you did not receive a restful night’s sleep. I can understand the frustration of the noises and not be able to have a relaxing night sleep. I will be sharing this with our team, so we can be as proactive as possible in the future. I do want to thank you for the nice comments made about our staff. I hope if you return to Minneapolis you will choose to stay at the Depot again!

Been to Residence Inn at The Depot? Share your experiences!