“Nice Hotel at the Depot” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #32 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Cincinnati
“Nice Hotel at the Depot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I had a conference at the Rennisance Inn. I searched and found this hotel was attached to the Rennisance Inn. You have to walk through the water park that attaches the two hotels. We chose this hotel because it has a suite with a full fridge and microwave. They have a hot breakfast available in the mornings. The will shop for you at Super Target and get items you want and bring it back to the hotel and put it in your room and all you pay is the exact cost on the recieipt. This is a very nice service. The staff was very kind and kept my boxes I used at the conference before, during, and after the conference. The room was fairly quiet. I would have liked if they had the evening reception during the three days we were there. I also would have liked it if they had a hot tub you could go in without paying maney for the water park.

Room Tip: If you are going to the Renessance inn for a conference be sure to ask for rooms closer to the other...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Casandra K, Manager at Residence Inn at The Depot, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are happy your experience at the Residence Inn Depot and Renaissance Depot was so positive. We want our guests to have a home away from home feeling when staying with us. If you return to Minneapolis I hope you choose to stay the Residence Inn Depot again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

If you mind young children and the noise that comes with them, do not go to this place on weekends or stay away from the breakfast room. There is a waterpark attached to the hotel so it does attract families.
I do not mind and I loved my stay here, whilst on business. The rooms come with a fully functional kitchen, fridge, microwave (with complimentary popcorn), big flatscreen, free wireless, ironing board, you name it.... I found it very comfortable to be here, easy to walk to the Minneapolis skyway and the staff was very helpful and nice. Breakfast is inclusive, nothing fancy but enough to get you started. Used the fitness room in the Renaissance next door, which was good enough. All in all a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Casandra K, Manager at Residence Inn at The Depot, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We hope if you are in the Minneapolis area again you will chose to stay at the Residence Inn Depot.
minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Spent the weekend downtown with the family. Rooms are good for the family since there is a bedroom and living area with pull out couch and kitchen.

4 waterpark passes were included in our stay which was nice but the pool is freezing. We couldn't stay in there for long.

We ordered Pizza Luce for dinner to the room, which is always delicious.

Rooms were clean and staff was friendly. The continental breakfast in the a.m. Was delicious and offered a good variety of options.

The ice rink wasn't open while we there but that would've been fun. This hotel could be the perfect location for a family/holidazzle weekend.

• Stayed December 2012
Casandra K, Manager at Residence Inn at The Depot, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are so happy to hear that your family enjoyed their stay at the Residence Inn Depot. We appreicate the feedback you gave and I will defintley share with our team. I hope if your travels bring you back to Minneapolis you will choose to stay with us again at the Depot!
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed at the Residence Inn by Marriott – Minneapolis at The Depot for 3 nights in early April 2013; my arrival date was Thursday, April 4th, and my departure date was Sunday, April 7th. This property was recommended by The Guthrie Theater – the venue I had traveled from Las Vegas to Minneapolis specifically to see two Shakespeare plays that were being performed there (Twelfth Night and The Taming of the Shrew). I would like to, first of all, give kudos to the front desk staff. Shortly after I made my reservations, I found myself in the position of needing to take a later flight from Las Vegas to Minneapolis than I originally planned. I was allowed a very late arrival on what turned out to be Friday morning (at about 3:00AM), April 5th with no hassle whatsoever. Furthermore, I was also allowed to stay in my room a bit later than the regular check out time (of 11:00AM) since my flight did not actually leave MSP until 4:10PM on Sunday, April 7th – another convenience for which I am grateful. Thanks again to the front desk staff. Never having stayed at a Residence Inn by Marriott prior to this trip, I was very pleasantly surprised by the accommodations; it was like having a fully-furnished studio apartment all to myself. The décor was warm and inviting and I always felt comfortable throughout my stay. Room Service – which I ordered several times during my stay – was OUTSTANDING; another round of kudos must go to both Noel and Moe who brought me my meals on multiple occasions. Both of these gentlemen were very friendly and welcoming, and saw to it that I had everything I needed as regards my dining needs. Two drawbacks that I think travelers should be aware of came to light during the Saturday evening of my stay. At approximately 5:00PM that Saturday, it seemed as if multiple herds of parents and children invaded the hotel. I was in room #110 on the ground floor – and, for a good 5 or 6 hours, children and adults were running up and down the halls outside my room, screaming and yelling (and in some cases using the door knockers as if they were hammers) as if they had no cognizance of the fact that they were in a public place and that they might well be disturbing other guests with their loudness. Then, at approximately 10:00PM – for a good couple of hours or so – a loud thumping base sound could be heard from a nightclub very nearby. None of this made for a very restful sleep Saturday evening April 6th. Aside from these issues, the Residence Inn by Marriott – Minneapolis at The Depot was a decent enough place to stay for a few days while taking in some live theatre at The Guthrie – only a few short blocks away – an easy walk.

Room Tip: Since I have only stayed at this property once -- I can only say to watch out for rooms on the groun...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Residence Inn Depot. I'm glad to hear that during your stay with us you enjoyed the property and the city of Minneapolis. I do apologize that you did not receive a restful night’s sleep. I can understand the frustration of the noises and not be able to have a relaxing night sleep. I will be sharing this with our team, so we can be as proactive as possible in the future. I do want to thank you for the nice comments made about our staff. I hope if you return to Minneapolis you will choose to stay at the Depot again!
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is a good place for long term stays. Underground heated parking so your car doesn't freeze, free breakfast (good quality but same exact thing every day), well kept property, rooms have good air/heating systems, nice kitchens, nice baths (towels a bit like sandpaper though), mattress has seen better days in my room and I had to ask for new pillows (which they were happy to give), staff is friendly and accommodating. Location is by the old depot and walkable into the center of downtown (although I would be careful in the evenings). A few restaurants in walking distance but mostly a quiet neighborhood. Easy access to the highways but not so near that you hear anything.
My one complaint: No pool or whirlpool. And exercise room is in the Renaisance next door, which also has a restaurant which is decent. So if you need easy access to a workout room - you get a workout getting there. If you want a pool there is only the water park (open weekends only) and it is more for little kids.

Room Tip: Ask for a fireplace room if you are there in winter - nice touch.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Casandra K, Manager at Residence Inn at The Depot, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for the kind review. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We are looking to enhance our breakfast selection, so there would be more of a variety for our guests. If you return to the Minneapolis area I hope you choose to stay at the Residence Inn Depot!
Bismarck, North Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We checked in Friday, didn't get that great of a rate because it was last minute and had to pay an extra $30 per day for 2 cars. Couldn't find my Priority Club card but really didn't care. Was very nice, front desk was courteous, room was clean and set up with portable crib. Water park was nice, mostly families like us, very orderly, a couple of sketchy people, but nothing horrible. We invited friends and they paid waterpark admission to hang out with us. Breakfast the next day, Saturday, was refilled well, once again, clean and orderly. At about 2pm on Saturday, it all changed. It turned into a People of Walmart waterpark. There were dozens of the most ill behaved children and teenagers I have ever seen. All of the parents were either getting drunk in the hot tub or upstairs getting drunk. It was the trashiest groups of people having all these separate parties. The lifeguards were overwhelmed and were trying their best but the parents were hiding the kids when the lifeguards went looking for them to throw them out of the hot tub or try to keep them from splashing people in the dry areas. The normal families all left and it was just this feral bunch knocking over kids and intimidating people. Our friends came again and wouldn't even go into the park, they sat up top in the viewing area and the party up there was 10 times as bad as the crowd downstairs. Every adult carried at least one beer constantly, many also had liquor they snuck in. My husband complained to the front desk about all the drunks but they said that many of the people lived there so there was nothing they could do. Maybe it is a prison exchange program. We checked throughout the day and it got worse. Kids screamed and people yelled all night long. The next morning we heard several families bragging they stayed up until 4am partying. The breakfast was chaos and everything was out constantly, I thought if we got there early we could beat the drunks, but no luck. We were supposed to stay a day or two more but no way could we stand another minute. We checked out early. I complained several times and not even an apology, when I checked out and complained again, there was a FOH manager, she actually hid behind a partition to avoid me, I could see her poking her head up to see if I had gone yet. We came for my sons birthday and he couldn't even swim the second day. Almost $500 for 2 nights, the first night was great but the second agonizing, we will never risk it again. Probably the only time I will complain to a corporate office about a stay. If you want to get drunk and let the lifeguards babysit your kids while you get wasted, this is the place for you! Nice families, stay away.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
mesa, az
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Travelled here for work, super happy they have HEATED underground parking. It is minus 12 degrees at night so the car would be dreadfully cold in the morning for me (and I'm from Phoenix, so really wimpy in the cold). You have to pay for parking, I got a lower rate because I'm staying for over a week.
I've got a king suite, refrigerator, toaster, couple of pots, dishes, dishwasher. I stocked up on amazing food at seward's co op on Franklin street ( highly recommend if you eat healthy, like whole foods but less $$).
The room is perfect, comfy bed and pillows, great shower, free wifi, very clean, 4th floor, quiet.
Close to the light rail and skyway systems, lots of restaurants and a brew pub within walking distance although I didn't go out there to walk around.
Would stay here again for sure.
Tip: there is a renaissance hotel adjacent and I tried to check in there by accident. Read the signs!!!

• Stayed January 2013
Casandra K, Manager at Residence Inn at The Depot, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Residence Inn Depot. Even though the weather was very cold while you were staying here. Thanks for staying with us and the kind review. Please come back and stay with us again when you are in Minneapolis!

Been to Residence Inn at The Depot? Share your experiences!