“Surprisingly good in every regard” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel to your Saves list
The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   225 S 3rd Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55401 (Formerly Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #22 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
“Surprisingly good in every regard”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I brought my son here on Labor Day, after a day at the MN State Fair. I remained for work in downtown.

The front desk staff is VERY helpful and nice, as is the restaurant staff. That is #1 with me. I got great directions from the light rail station. I forgot my laptop charger, and they made it very easy for me to retrieve - very concientious. It's almost as if this hotel hired all the nice people in town.

The swimming pool is nice. It's not huge, but it's clean, well-staffed, with a fun water slide and a nice whirlpool and regular pool. It's a bonus, not a destination, if that makes sense.

I highly recommend the restaurant; breakfast buffet was good, omlette fantastic, and service very friendly. Price was reasonable.

Location is very good for light rail, near a Subway for inexpensive food, and a short walk to U of MN IT, Federal building. The train theme works, and at night it's definitely better than the Marriott Autograph.

Room Tip: The room I had was a perfect for 1 or 2 - a family of 4 would be a bit cramped. Definitely take a w...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
depotmgr, General Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thanks for your great review! We pride ourselves on service and have some of the highest guest satisfaction scores in our Brand. I will make sure that your comments are passed on to the staff.

257 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Overall, it is a nice hotel. I travel a lot and typically chose Renaissance hotels as I like their conceirge lounge. When I compare this to the others in Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, St Louis, Kansas City and DC, it ranks lower as the lounge setup and menu is basic. The rooms so far have all been the same, and they are fine but are on the smaller side (no couch).

Room Tip: In all my stays, every room has been identical.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the review. Since your stay, we have rolled out a new Beverage and Food menu that I think you may appreciate. We also have 22 historic suites and I would be happy to upgrade you should one be available during your next visit. Please feel free to email me at mclark@TheDepotMinneapolis.com the next time that you are coming to town.
Barrington, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

The suite was beautiful and very accommodating. We traveled with our two small dogs and everyone treated them as distinguished guests of the hotel! The doggie gift bag was especially thoughtful. We enjoyed relaxing on the patio as well as dinner and music in the lounge. Thank you!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us and I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. Being pet friendly is new for us and I'm glad that we are now an option for you.
High Rolls Mountain Park, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

What an amazing find! The Depot was a delightful surprise at the end of our vacation! We just needed a room for the night but instead we got over 900 square feet of LUXURY!!! We got a great deal and they gave us a suite in this beautiful old train station! They have theses statues they call their "Ghost". They are statues of people that would have been at the depot during its heyday! They have a water park and ice rink but those are just extras! Our suite had a dining area, a living area all with period furniture. The bedroom had two windows with a wonderful view of the city, window seats to sit and enjoy watching out the window. King size bed with a love seat at the end of the bed, two closets and a tv in the cabinet if you don't want to see it! Then you go into a an amazing bathroom with a vanity area with double sinks, magnifying mirror and a coffee and tea bar. Then you walk into the bathroom with a huge jacuzzi tub and a separate glass shower for two!
We hit the jackpot with this amazing hotel! We will be coming back to Minneapolis not for the city but to stay at "The Depot"! The service from everyone was top of the line! They were pleasant and always helpful! We can't wait to go back! Two thumbs up for this incredible place!

Room Tip: We stayed in the old depot side where it takes you back in time!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the lovely comments! I am so pleased that you enjoyed the historic suite and hope that you will stay with us again soon.
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed alone Sat.-Mon. mid-August 2013. I normally stay next door at Residence Inn, but Renaissance rate of $139 was better, as the front desk staff kindly informed and switched me. Staff at Renaissance just as pleasant; rooms lovely, clean, quiet; bathroom not palatial but just fine; parking (avg. $17.50/day!! compared to Chicago's $60 several weeks ago) was simple and convenient; location perfect for me (with University and fav breki joint [Moose and Sadie's] near by, and St. Paul destinations - access to freeways no problem). The very attractive courtyard bar can be LIVELY at night so north- or east-side room may be preferable. I definitely will return.

Room Tip: Dunn Bros. coffee and yummies - next door.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Liz K, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Martha P, Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate the kind comments and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience at The Renaissance. We hope to see you again, very soon!
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The hotel is fairly basic as business hotels go. Nothing exceptional and certainly not luxurious. The WIFI in the rooms barely qualifies for Internet service. Pages take several seconds to refresh when doing normal browsing. Don't even think about watching a Netflix program on your iPad.

The real turnoff is their "signature" room fragrance. To me at least, it smells a bit like putting your face in grandma's purse. Essence of Juicy Fruit, lip stick, breath mints, and used Kleenex. Not nice. They say that they can "try" to not spray your room during housekeeping; but no guarantees since it is a signature service which most of their guests appreciate.

Room Tip: On summer weekends, ask for a room which is not on the central courtyard. The bar is open until 1:0...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Liz K, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
TJ1SanFrancisco_CA
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We are sorry to hear that our room fragrance was not to your liking. I have shared your comments with our housekeeping team and we are committed to finding alternative options. Within the last two weeks we have updated our WiFi broadband to improve the speed and quality of our services. Thank you for staying as our guest and hope you will return to our property again.
Fargo, North Dakota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Making the reservation thru their 1-800 number was rather disappointing. The employee's were not knowledgeable nor helpful over the phone, or in person for that matter. We had choose the option to check in early if available, and ended up having to wait an hour after their posted check in time before actually being able to check in. The pool hours were never presented to us... For a family with two small children that were pretty excited to play at this awesome pool I find It odd that at no point in the reservation, or check in conversations did any staff mentioned that their pool is only open from 9am to 3pm on Sunday and not open on Mondays.. when our stay was a Saturday thru Monday. The housekeeping staff entered our room while our children were napping and we had to ask them to leave, twice before they actually left. They handed us an extra card "for parking" they said, but failed to explain their little parking system so we ended up paying for our parking during our stay. Again, Disappointing considering we had choose a room rate for our stay that included both our parking and swimming fees. I called to speak to the manager of the hotel a few days after we left, asked to speak to the General Manager. I was then put directly into the Assistant Managers voicemail, I left a message and haven't heard a thing, that was 6 days ago. I'm still pretty bummed that we wasted so much time, energy, and money on this place. For our third night we went and stayed at a different hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Leslie B,
I’m so sorry for your poor experience during your stay with us. I can image it was very frustrating to not receive proper explanation of the waterpark and parking. I’m disappointed to hear we were not able to make this a positive experience for you and your family and that you had to relocate because of it. I’m concerned that you did not receive a call back from a manager and would like to investigate that further. I would like to opportunity to speak with you personally and I can be reached at 612.758.7870. Thank you

Been to The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel? Share your experiences!