“Depot Renaissance smells like Renuzit” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel to your Saves list
The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   225 S 3rd Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55401 (Formerly Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #20 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
San Francisco, CA
“Depot Renaissance smells like Renuzit”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The hotel is fairly basic as business hotels go. Nothing exceptional and certainly not luxurious. The WIFI in the rooms barely qualifies for Internet service. Pages take several seconds to refresh when doing normal browsing. Don't even think about watching a Netflix program on your iPad.

The real turnoff is their "signature" room fragrance. To me at least, it smells a bit like putting your face in grandma's purse. Essence of Juicy Fruit, lip stick, breath mints, and used Kleenex. Not nice. They say that they can "try" to not spray your room during housekeeping; but no guarantees since it is a signature service which most of their guests appreciate.

Room Tip: On summer weekends, ask for a room which is not on the central courtyard. The bar is open until 1:0...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Liz K, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
TJ1SanFrancisco_CA
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We are sorry to hear that our room fragrance was not to your liking. I have shared your comments with our housekeeping team and we are committed to finding alternative options. Within the last two weeks we have updated our WiFi broadband to improve the speed and quality of our services. Thank you for staying as our guest and hope you will return to our property again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Fargo, North Dakota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Making the reservation thru their 1-800 number was rather disappointing. The employee's were not knowledgeable nor helpful over the phone, or in person for that matter. We had choose the option to check in early if available, and ended up having to wait an hour after their posted check in time before actually being able to check in. The pool hours were never presented to us... For a family with two small children that were pretty excited to play at this awesome pool I find It odd that at no point in the reservation, or check in conversations did any staff mentioned that their pool is only open from 9am to 3pm on Sunday and not open on Mondays.. when our stay was a Saturday thru Monday. The housekeeping staff entered our room while our children were napping and we had to ask them to leave, twice before they actually left. They handed us an extra card "for parking" they said, but failed to explain their little parking system so we ended up paying for our parking during our stay. Again, Disappointing considering we had choose a room rate for our stay that included both our parking and swimming fees. I called to speak to the manager of the hotel a few days after we left, asked to speak to the General Manager. I was then put directly into the Assistant Managers voicemail, I left a message and haven't heard a thing, that was 6 days ago. I'm still pretty bummed that we wasted so much time, energy, and money on this place. For our third night we went and stayed at a different hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Leslie B,
I’m so sorry for your poor experience during your stay with us. I can image it was very frustrating to not receive proper explanation of the waterpark and parking. I’m disappointed to hear we were not able to make this a positive experience for you and your family and that you had to relocate because of it. I’m concerned that you did not receive a call back from a manager and would like to investigate that further. I would like to opportunity to speak with you personally and I can be reached at 612.758.7870. Thank you
Wichita, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I travel a great deal for business and pleasure and have come to expect certain things from a higher end Marriott property due to being Platinum members. I had great expectations for the rooms but it was smaller than a Courtyard property would be and the bathroom area no better than a Fairfield. If you are expecting luxury accommodations that are typical of a Renaissance, don't stay here! We checked out after one day and moved to another property for the remainder of our 1 week stay

MelissaD20,
I’m very sorry to hear that the design of our rooms did not meet your expectations. I feel very badly that you had to relocate to another hotel because of it. We certainly appreciate you sharing your comments and concerns with us. Thank you
Smyrna, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed for a conference recently and really enjoyed the amenities and location of the hotel. The hotel is one block from the river and is within 5 blocks of numerous restaurants and bars. The hotel bar wasn't bad either as it has a nice patio and great wine selection.

Amanda S,
Thank you for your review. I’m so happy to hear you were able to enjoy the local area as well as our patio while you were in Minneapolis. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will visit us again soon!
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here last weekend mainly for the waterpark. My son just turned 5 and the prices and waterpark options are more reasonable than waterpark of America and better for smaller children. The best thing about the water park is its very easy to keep an eye on your little ones and none of the pools are deeper than 3'6. The front desk staff was very friendly and reviewed the room with us before checking in to make sure there were no errors. The room was great, the tub was a little dirty, but no big whoop. I was annoyed because I requested a room by the elevator and ours was very far but then I realized it was far from the main elevators and right across from the waterpark elevator which is why we were there.... Well played hotel!! Overall we had great time. Pool water was warm, ac was easy to work, beds comfy and when we requested more towels they were there in minutes. Only complaint is that at the price of the hotel you would think parking would be included.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Liz K, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for your excellent review. I'm so happy to hear that we provided an enjoyable experience for you and your family. Please come back and visit us again!
Mankato, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We arrived at the Depot Hotel late afternoon on Thursday, July 4th. We were first given a key to room 570 and when we opened the door it was clear that the room had been used by another family and not cleaned since..dirty towels on the floor, baby crib still set up, etc. We called reception and were given another room nearby. It smelled musty but, oh well, we were just there for the weekend. The hotel is located near the Mississippi River so we enjoyed the 4th of July fireworks and then bed by 11 or so. Got up the next morning (July 5th) and spent the day with family. We had dinner with friends before returning to our room at about 10 pm. The room had not been cleaned. We called reception. They said they would send towels up which they did. Not much of an apology, just 'here are the towels'. The next day we met friends again in the morning, getting back to the hotel at about 3 pm. The room still hadn't been made up. We called to say that we were going to be gone until midnight but please have the room cleaned by that time. You won't be surprised to know that when we got back at midnight the room still hadn't been cleaned. This is now the third day of unmade beds, dirty towels on the floor, dirty glasses. We again called to complain and were told that they would send up towels and we could have a free buffet breakfast -- which, incidentally, would cost them nothing. The next morning, this is now July 7th, still no apology. After loudly complaining about service, they decided they could take off the parking fee.
The unmade beds were not the main complaint--who can't sleep in an unmade bed?-- but their complete lack of any apology or effort to make things better. They were able to slip our bill for $550 under our door right on time, though.
I would not stay in this hotel again and I would think the Marriott company, which owns or at least franchises this hotel, would pull their license. Yuck! Dirty towels on the floor for 3 days is certainly enough to make us stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't stay in this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mankato6,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences from the weekend you stayed as our guest. I would like to apologize for the service you received while you were here. I could imagine that it was frustrating to receive no apology from the staff when you had so many troubles. We used your review as an opportunity improves our services. Thank you again for sharing
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed at the Depot for a conference and it was lovely. There is an old part and a new part of this hotel and both of them were fine (some of my friends stayed in the older part). The rooms were clean and large enough and the staff was very helpful. The only issue that I had was that I had requested a King bed and got a room with 2 doubles. When I checked in, I was told that I could call each day to see if a King room had opened up, but I’m not sure why I would need to do that since I had originally requested it in the first place. . .so, if you really want a specific type of room, you might be disappointed. Leaving that aside, the room I had was quiet and the bed was comfortable. I ate at the restaurant downstairs and the food was very good – especially the lunch buffet. The buffet included tacos, burritos, soup, and dessert and the price was very reasonable. There aren’t many restaurants nearby so if you are tight on time, you will be eating there. Fortunately it was good. If you have some time to walk around, there is a good Japanese restaurant (Origami) several blocks away. If you have a car, there is a Thrift store that has a Target outlet in the basement and you can find some good deals there on (new) clothes, household items, etc. All in all, a nice place to stay if you are visiting MN

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
depotmgr, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thanks you for your nice comments and I'm sorry that we were not able to accommodate your request for a room with two beds. I would be happy to help you with this personally the next time that you stay with us. And, I will make sure that Randee (restaurant manager) and Chef Sam are thanked on your behalf. Michael

Been to The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel? Share your experiences!