“Nice for a short stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot

You added Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot to your Saves list
Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   225 S 3rd Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55401 (Formerly The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book early and save 20%!
Ranked #22 of 43 Hotels in Minneapolis
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice for a short stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed at the Depot for a conference and it was lovely. There is an old part and a new part of this hotel and both of them were fine (some of my friends stayed in the older part). The rooms were clean and large enough and the staff was very helpful. The only issue that I had was that I had requested a King bed and got a room with 2 doubles. When I checked in, I was told that I could call each day to see if a King room had opened up, but I’m not sure why I would need to do that since I had originally requested it in the first place. . .so, if you really want a specific type of room, you might be disappointed. Leaving that aside, the room I had was quiet and the bed was comfortable. I ate at the restaurant downstairs and the food was very good – especially the lunch buffet. The buffet included tacos, burritos, soup, and dessert and the price was very reasonable. There aren’t many restaurants nearby so if you are tight on time, you will be eating there. Fortunately it was good. If you have some time to walk around, there is a good Japanese restaurant (Origami) several blocks away. If you have a car, there is a Thrift store that has a Target outlet in the basement and you can find some good deals there on (new) clothes, household items, etc. All in all, a nice place to stay if you are visiting MN

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ferocity
depotmgr, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thanks you for your nice comments and I'm sorry that we were not able to accommodate your request for a room with two beds. I would be happy to help you with this personally the next time that you stay with us. And, I will make sure that Randee (restaurant manager) and Chef Sam are thanked on your behalf. Michael

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Pros: Small but fun waterpark, 10 minute walk to metro station, Clean rooms, Safe neighborhood (even at midnight with a 9 year old), great coffee house next to the hotel (coffee great, food items not so good)
Cons: Front staff was not helpful when asked about the surrounding area ("I'm not from the area" is not a sufficient response for any hotel front desk person), 20 minute walk to the heart of downtown (wish we stayed closer to the action), besides the coffee house there is no other restaurant or mini market near the hotel within a 20 minute walk, Strip club and erotic store a block from the hotel (may be fine for singles or couple, but being that I traveled with a family it wasn't great since these places must be passed when you walk to the metro).

Overall it's a nice hotel, but the lack of restaurants or convenience store made it hard to maneuver if you don't have a car.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
Liz K, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
NCNM1976,
Thank you for your review. I’m happy to hear you and your family had fun in the waterpark. I’m disappointed to hear about your experience with the front desk staff. At The Renaissance we encourage our staff to share their local recommendations with all of our guests. The type of response you received is unacceptable and was addressed with our staff. Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel.
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Front desk staff was very helpful in checking me in early. Place was nice and the room was OK except that the A/C was making a loud rattling noise keeping me up most of the night. The hotel was not connected to the sky way but only a couple of blocks away. Walking distance to the bus and train line.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Liz K, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review. I'm happy to hear the desk was helpful at check in. I would like to apologize for the loud noises you experienced from the A/C unit in your room and I will make sure that is looked into. Please come visit us again next time you are in town.
Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel only because it was the hosting place for the Twin Cities Marathon. I needed a good nights sleep...seeing I was going to run a marathon in the morning. I should have took note that that wouldn't happen after reading previous reviews. The room was LOUD...from outside noise...to even all the people walking in the halls. I would get up numerous times just to turn on the AC to try to drown out the racket...needless to say I slept like crap, even though the bed was very comfortable. Also, we could not get out of the parking ramp...we had the key card and the arm still would not go up...this was very upsetting seeing we needed to be at the start line of the marathon and not really knowing where to go! We kept buzzing the attendant and FINALLY they raised the arm up! I had to leave later that day due to an unexpected death in my family...I mistakenly took the parking key cards with me. When my friends tried to leave the next day they charged them again (after already paying!!!!) for parking because they didn't have the key cards (which got billed to my credit card!!!!!). Overall, not happy with this place at all. I will not be back...to many other GOOD options in the area. Oh, the bell boy was great...that was probably the best thing I can say about this hotel. And I'm NOT a negative person...all my reviews are usually "good" reviews.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Minnesota09
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. I can understand your frustrations especially when preparing for a marathon. I apologize that your experience was unpleasant due to noise from the street and hallway, the delay at the parking gate and the duplicate charge for parking. We will certainly use your review as an opportunity to improve. I again apologize for the unpleasant stay with us.
Palmer, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I had a great extended weekend stay at the Depot. The front desk staff was really helpful and friendly. With the exception of one waitress at the bar, all the restaurant staff earned large tips. The bar stays open late and had great ambiance; we felt like we were gathered in someone's study or library. The kitchen made great appetizers and the hotel had something for everyone. We never made it to the water park/pool, but walked through to meet up with other members of our part in the Residence Stay side. Really comfortable beds and quiet rooms. There's a coffee shop on the corner and it is just blocks from the blue line light rail, making it easy for those not renting a car. You could even walk to Nicollett Mall. The location was great for our group attending a wedding across the bridge. My only complaint: a charge for internet service. When paying top rates this service should be included.

Room Tip: All the rooms I visited were clean, comfortable, and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your wonderful review! It sounds like you had an enjoyable experience.
We certainly hope that you and your group will be back to visit us again in the future. Thank you for staying as our guest.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Very efficient and professional desk staff had us into our room within minutes of arrival. Very quiet room in a beautifully restored old building. Room was clean and beds were comfortable. The restaurant in the hotel has excellent food. There is a charge for internet service, but the service was quick and dependable. We'd definitely stay here again if we were in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm very happy that you enjoyed your experience at The Renaissance. I hope that your travels bring you back to the local area so you can enjoy it all over again. Thank you for staying with us!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel in general. The bed was exceptionally comfortable. I was traveling with my children and was upgraded to a suite which was lovely. The club floor was not open as it was a weekend and this was a bit disappointing, but the upgrade made up for it. Coffee was available in the lobby area starting at an early hour and that was a big help. Despite there being four weddings at the property the weekend we stayed the room was very quiet and we never encountered crowds of people. There is a water park on the property but we did not explore it. The lobby bar was well stocked and uncrowded. The staff was attentive and helpful. All in all a very good experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review. We are very glad that you had a comfortable stay while visiting our hotel. It's wonderful to hear that you were upgraded which allowed you to experience one of our Historic Suites. If you get the chance to come visit us again be sure to explore the water park- it's a hidden gem in the downtown area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minneapolis
Residence Inn at The Depot
Loews Minneapolis Hotel
#8 of 43 in Minneapolis
4.5 of 5 stars 1,280 reviews
Le Meridien Chambers Minneapolis

Been to Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot? Share your experiences!