“History buffs will like this” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel to your Saves list
The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   225 S 3rd Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55401 (Formerly Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #21 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Minnesota
“History buffs will like this”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is a new property located next to the old Soo Line Railway station in downtown Minneapolis.
The lobby is decorated with railroad memorabilia, which is nicely displayed with interesting labels, plus reproductions of historic railroad posters from the 1940s. The parking garage is an underground facility connected by elevators to the hotel so it was easy to access our car. The concierge was helpful, providing directions to a wonderful restaurant within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Darrynm, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for your review and for staying with us. We hope you discover us again when your travels find you in the area.

256 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is more like a mid-level Marriott or high end Courtyard in terms of room appearance especially for a downtown location. That being said the front desk, restaurant, and bar staff were great. They were helpful, professional, and friendly. It is on the northern most end of downtown compared to more of the heart like the downtown Residence Inn and Marriott. Still, I would say the Target Field (Twin’s baseball) and Target Center are within walking distance. 4+ bar/restaurants are within 3 blocks of the hotel.

This is hotel is adjacent to the Residence Inn Depot. Connecting hotels are part of a trend that allows customers to have a specific brand experience with amenities. It is most beneficial for those staying at the mid-brand or one that is not full service. An example, I recently stayed at the Courtyard connected to a Renaissance in Arlington, VA. This gave me access to a full restaurant and bar along with a much better workout facility. In this case, the Residence Inn folks get access to a restaurant and bar which is a plus. Typical Marriott/Courtyard rooms but I tend to expect a bit more from Renaissance.

I took advantage of a weekend special that included parking, waterpark access, arcade tokens, and dinner for four. A great value but be prepared for a hotel full of kids. I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite with a sofabed and refrigerator. Room service was available until 11pm which is a nice added convenience. Overall I can confidently recommend this hotel as long as the rate is $130 or less. Higher than that and I would check into comparable hotels and make a decision based on cost, location, and amenities. For example, Hilton (more central, close to the convention center, parking likely more expensive) or Residence Inn City center (skyway connections, central dtwn, but no pool) with the caveat that is has been over a year since I stayed at either.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Darrynm, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for your review. As you pointed out our Life Style brand is a little bit different than a Typical Renaissance. Being a Historical site we preserved the fell of how it would have been in 1930. This style lends itself to be more comfortable and elegant than upscale. We truly appreciate your feedback and hope you discover us again if your travels find you in our area.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

I was not blown away by anything here. The bartender was very friendly (Tony?) and became a staple for me each evening before heading out. I liked the local brews on tap.

Rooms are definitely in need of a more up to date motif and my room had a tiny sink and counter. If that is the norm for all rooms than its quite sad. I couldn't even fit my makeup bag on the counter with a brush.

The maids are obnoxious. I'm all for clean rooms, which they were. BUT even with a DND sign hanging on my door they knocked. I thought it odd but then saw that the sign had been slipped under my door. I would blame it on some kid but my brother a few doors down had a similar experience.

Hotel has only 2 elevators so I found myself waiting a lot. In fact at checkout time, I had to wait for 2 elevators before I found one with room to board.

Hotel also has a waterpark. Seems like a great idea for young kiddos. I did not check that out.

Near light rail but a far walk from any good restaurants and bars.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Darrynm, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m glad you enjoyed Tony one of our bartenders. If you thought he was a good bartender you should hear him sing. He’s an amazingly talented young man.
In your review you mentioned the sink area. Being a historical building we have many different sized rooms and different layouts to fit our guest’s needs. For instance, our historic rooms have very large bathroom some of which with deep soaking tubes and a few with spas.
I have forward your comments on being disturbed by the housekeeping staff to our Director of Style. We value our guests privacy and that should never happen.
I hope if your travels find you in the area again you will think of us first. Thank you for discovering us.
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on business. I stayed here weekly for 6 months back in 2010, and the experience is still consistently positive and what you would expect from this Marriott chain. My first choice is always the Grand (it's classy, well-located, and I like the free gym access); unfortunately, it was out of my company's price range for this trip.

Many will not like the location of this hotel. You're on the edge of the downtown area close to the river. However, I like not having to navigate the maze of one way streets, parking is easy (no garage, just a simple lot, $14 / day), and it's easy for me to get in and out of the city. The center of downtown and light rail is really not that far and I enjoy the short walk, even in winter.

The hotel features retro train / railroad decor, because the depot used to be a railroad station. The rooms are decent size. Mine was spotlessly clean. Wifi is available at a charge. Complimentary Aveda products are provided. My room was on the 5th floor along a side street. I did experience some noise from snow plows, so I would recommend earplugs if you are sensitive to that. The room was right by the elevator, but I did not experience any hallway noise.

The hotel has a nice bar area where you can drink and eat. There's a restaurant, but I did not use it. Room service has decent offerings, but the food was average. Like most Marriotts, there's a small "store" selling snacks and toiletries. There's a Subway and Caribou Coffee across the street.

Overall, no complaints. I'll continue to stay here when I can't stay at the Grand.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Darrynm, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for your review and feedback. You are correct on all counts, we are slightly on the outskirts of the center of the city but this lends itself to easy access in and out. You also pointed out the light rail station 3 blocks away. In a short walk you can be in the airport in 20 minutes and the Mall of America in 25 minutes. In addition to our ground lot we also have one of a few underground heated parking ramps in the city. The elevators from the parking go directly to your guest room floors. No need to step outside.

Again, thank you for discovering us and hope you stay again soon. Darryn Maloney
Victoria, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed as we had an event at the depot, we live in MN so are very framiliar with the area. The location isn't quite in the heart of everything but in the summer would be ok, in the winter I would choose another location.

The hotel and rooms are very outdated and need a good update! I was disappointed that this is a Renaissance! The service was good and helpful but it's a really weird lobby and your not quite sure where to go. Our room was TINY, especially for minneapolis, normally the rooms are larger, it also wasn't that clean and seemed dusty. Overall I was very disappointed in this hotel, stay somewhere else in minneapolis!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
First, I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value feedback that is positive or not so positive as it helps us improve. I truly apologize for the experience you had while staying with us. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our hotel and especially our rooms and you didn't expereince that. From your description you were in one of our standard rooms. Being a historic property, we have a number of rooms of different sizes and configurations. It Benefits the traveler as we can meet a wide range of needs.

If your travels find you in the area again I invite you to contact me personally to arrange for your accommodations. I will ensure you're stay is perfect. Darryn Maloney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

We arrived to a room that had torn walls or wall paper whichever is covering the wall. So that was the entrance to our room. I was also curious to the absolute cleanliness of the room as all of the complimentary toiletries were half gone or the boxes were badly beaten to the point it was obvious they had been gone through numerous times. We had checked in late and I had bought the family package deal which included a meal ticket so when we went down to the restaurant we were informed there that it was only good for the buffet which they were in the process of taking down for the night. The next day we went to the water park which was the main reason of why we were there and we were very disappointed that my 3 year old could hardly use it much less me. The water was so unbelievably cold it was hard to be in the water. We had enough of the water and went to the arcade and found that most of the games were either out of order or turned off! I guess to sum it up. We stayed here because we really felt that water park of America was to much for our 3 year old and we felt this was a much nicer place to stay. Plus we didn't mind having to drive because the water park was so neat and you are so affordable. I really felt that I got less than what I paid for. At this point I could not recommend you and I was hoping to, because no one has heard of you or your water park! I felt the package was a real waste of money because we hardly used the water park because the water was too cold and then no games were working in the arcade. I also believe in your family package the instructions could be more specific on what everything entails beforehand. Not as your walking into your restaurant etc.

• Stayed March 2013
I would like to apologize to you and your family for the experience you had while staying with us. Being a father of two young children I know how I would have felt if confronted with the issues you experienced. We take feedback serious and use it to provide a better experience for our our future guests. I will be discussing these issues with the supervisors in the those areas so these situations don't happen to other travelers . If you find yourself in the area again please contact me personally to arrange for your travel. I will ensure your stay is perfect. Darryn Maloney
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel was very large, so be prepared to do a lot of walking, just to get to your room. The rooms were nice and the front desk staff seemed busy, but knowledgeable.

The only problem I had with it was that it was quite a ways from both the downtown area and the skyway. You could reach the skyway after a couple of blocks, but most of the area was for businesses, so it was quite boring to walk. We got lost and never did make it to the downtown area. I really wish we would have taken a cab. This hotel does not offer a shuttle service either. It has a bar and restaurant although we did not use either. The bar seemed very popular.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Darrynm, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. You are correct that we are a couple blocks from the closest skyway entrance. For our guests convince we partner with a car service. For a nominal fee they can get you to we're your going quickly. We are also 3 blocks away from the light rail tran station. The light rail can take you directly into the airport or mall of America in under 30 minutes.

Thank you for Discovering us and hope to see you again.

Been to The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel? Share your experiences!