“Not the Best in Town, but Reliably Nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel to your Saves list
The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   225 S 3rd Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55401 (Formerly Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
North Carolina
“Not the Best in Town, but Reliably Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on business. I stayed here weekly for 6 months back in 2010, and the experience is still consistently positive and what you would expect from this Marriott chain. My first choice is always the Grand (it's classy, well-located, and I like the free gym access); unfortunately, it was out of my company's price range for this trip.

Many will not like the location of this hotel. You're on the edge of the downtown area close to the river. However, I like not having to navigate the maze of one way streets, parking is easy (no garage, just a simple lot, $14 / day), and it's easy for me to get in and out of the city. The center of downtown and light rail is really not that far and I enjoy the short walk, even in winter.

The hotel features retro train / railroad decor, because the depot used to be a railroad station. The rooms are decent size. Mine was spotlessly clean. Wifi is available at a charge. Complimentary Aveda products are provided. My room was on the 5th floor along a side street. I did experience some noise from snow plows, so I would recommend earplugs if you are sensitive to that. The room was right by the elevator, but I did not experience any hallway noise.

The hotel has a nice bar area where you can drink and eat. There's a restaurant, but I did not use it. Room service has decent offerings, but the food was average. Like most Marriotts, there's a small "store" selling snacks and toiletries. There's a Subway and Caribou Coffee across the street.

Overall, no complaints. I'll continue to stay here when I can't stay at the Grand.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Darrynm, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for your review and feedback. You are correct on all counts, we are slightly on the outskirts of the center of the city but this lends itself to easy access in and out. You also pointed out the light rail station 3 blocks away. In a short walk you can be in the airport in 20 minutes and the Mall of America in 25 minutes. In addition to our ground lot we also have one of a few underground heated parking ramps in the city. The elevators from the parking go directly to your guest room floors. No need to step outside.

Again, thank you for discovering us and hope you stay again soon. Darryn Maloney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Victoria, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed as we had an event at the depot, we live in MN so are very framiliar with the area. The location isn't quite in the heart of everything but in the summer would be ok, in the winter I would choose another location.

The hotel and rooms are very outdated and need a good update! I was disappointed that this is a Renaissance! The service was good and helpful but it's a really weird lobby and your not quite sure where to go. Our room was TINY, especially for minneapolis, normally the rooms are larger, it also wasn't that clean and seemed dusty. Overall I was very disappointed in this hotel, stay somewhere else in minneapolis!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
First, I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value feedback that is positive or not so positive as it helps us improve. I truly apologize for the experience you had while staying with us. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our hotel and especially our rooms and you didn't expereince that. From your description you were in one of our standard rooms. Being a historic property, we have a number of rooms of different sizes and configurations. It Benefits the traveler as we can meet a wide range of needs.

If your travels find you in the area again I invite you to contact me personally to arrange for your accommodations. I will ensure you're stay is perfect. Darryn Maloney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

We arrived to a room that had torn walls or wall paper whichever is covering the wall. So that was the entrance to our room. I was also curious to the absolute cleanliness of the room as all of the complimentary toiletries were half gone or the boxes were badly beaten to the point it was obvious they had been gone through numerous times. We had checked in late and I had bought the family package deal which included a meal ticket so when we went down to the restaurant we were informed there that it was only good for the buffet which they were in the process of taking down for the night. The next day we went to the water park which was the main reason of why we were there and we were very disappointed that my 3 year old could hardly use it much less me. The water was so unbelievably cold it was hard to be in the water. We had enough of the water and went to the arcade and found that most of the games were either out of order or turned off! I guess to sum it up. We stayed here because we really felt that water park of America was to much for our 3 year old and we felt this was a much nicer place to stay. Plus we didn't mind having to drive because the water park was so neat and you are so affordable. I really felt that I got less than what I paid for. At this point I could not recommend you and I was hoping to, because no one has heard of you or your water park! I felt the package was a real waste of money because we hardly used the water park because the water was too cold and then no games were working in the arcade. I also believe in your family package the instructions could be more specific on what everything entails beforehand. Not as your walking into your restaurant etc.

• Stayed March 2013
I would like to apologize to you and your family for the experience you had while staying with us. Being a father of two young children I know how I would have felt if confronted with the issues you experienced. We take feedback serious and use it to provide a better experience for our our future guests. I will be discussing these issues with the supervisors in the those areas so these situations don't happen to other travelers . If you find yourself in the area again please contact me personally to arrange for your travel. I will ensure your stay is perfect. Darryn Maloney
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel was very large, so be prepared to do a lot of walking, just to get to your room. The rooms were nice and the front desk staff seemed busy, but knowledgeable.

The only problem I had with it was that it was quite a ways from both the downtown area and the skyway. You could reach the skyway after a couple of blocks, but most of the area was for businesses, so it was quite boring to walk. We got lost and never did make it to the downtown area. I really wish we would have taken a cab. This hotel does not offer a shuttle service either. It has a bar and restaurant although we did not use either. The bar seemed very popular.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Darrynm, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. You are correct that we are a couple blocks from the closest skyway entrance. For our guests convince we partner with a car service. For a nominal fee they can get you to we're your going quickly. We are also 3 blocks away from the light rail tran station. The light rail can take you directly into the airport or mall of America in under 30 minutes.

Thank you for Discovering us and hope to see you again.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel on Feb 23 for one night and were pleased with the accommodations. I assume that the hotel was booked full as I was not offered a room upgrade, or any other amenities, based on elite status. It probably didn't matter as the club lounge was not opened on the weekend, the downtown Hilton does offer weekend service. The bed was very comfortable and the linens nice. Several suggestions that I would like to make are to please offer more that one cup of in-room coffee. Really, only one regular coffee pod and one decaf pod. Also, please put the sink in the bathroom where it belongs. A sink in the open carpeted area is very unsanitary.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Darrynm, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for your review. The Staff and I appreciate any and all feedback we get. I'm sorry that a couple items during your stay didn't meet your needs and weren't up to our standards. We are looking at the possibility of getting coffee 2 coffee pods in all our guest rooms. As a coffee drinker I understand your feelings when one cup just won’t start the day out right. It’s not as convenient but in our lobby we offer Dunn Brother’s coffee. It’s locally owned and operated here in Minnesota. In addition to that there is a Dunn Brother’s coffee shop right outside our front door. Again, I know that this isn’t as convenient but I guarantee it’s Delicious coffee.
Finally, Our Vanity sinks are outside of the main bathroom. Some really enjoy this feature of the room. It lends to a larger area to get dressed and ready for the day. We truly appreciate you and hope you discover us again in the future.
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

this historic hotel is set on an old rail station and you feel this historical touch throughout the hotel. the hotel is very modern in design, yet again has maintained the historical touch and feel all around including in the kids indoor watermark which was amazing. on the other side of the hotel is an indoor skating rink that converts to a convention hall as well. the food was excellent, the service was your traditional excellent Renaissance experience and if you have the chance to have a chat with the Bar and Restaurant Manager Randee, she's outstanding and even went out of her way to help me with a new booking returning a few days later that I wasn't able to do on my own since the hotel was full. Once she found out I wasn't able to make a new booking, she didn't accept that, so went to the Director of Services Liz and had it all fixed up without a hassle. Liz even come out and took time to chat with us and make our overall experience even more memorable. It didn't stop there, we also had the pleasure of interacting with Tony the bartender who was also fantastic. Really great attitude as well. Typically when you go to a bar or restaurant and ask for something and the place doesn't have it, they simply say "no, cant do". Not Tony. We wanted Strawberry Mojito's, but he didn't have the right mix to make the right kind of mojito we wanted, he only had for the traditional Mojito's so we accepted that no problem. Shortly after, Tony came to our table with Strawberry Mojito's!!. Don't know how, but he made it happen. The following morning we went to the skating rink and the kids and the adults (us) had just as much fun as we did at the waterpark. We booked one standard king room and one historic suite. both rooms very comfortable sizes and the suite really has a much more historic touch to it and has a sofa bed as well so is great for families (can comfortably fit 2 adults and 2 to 3 children). This was really a fantastic getaway and what made the whole experience first class was Randee, Liz and Tony and the other great associates. Look forward to my return again in a few days.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Darrynm, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for your review and all the discoveries you made while staying with us. We have a great staff as you found in Liz, Tony and Randee. I will pay all your great comments your way and make sure they know their efforts are appreciated. I’m glad that Liz and Randee could secure a room for you and that we’ll be seeing you again.
minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

A very nice get-a-way for a group of friends. The hotel was well full, but they were very diligent in placing us near each other. The hotel is nicely situated in downtown and within walking distance to several restaurants and bars. The rooms were tasteful and the staff were very pleasant in arranging to accommodate or requests.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Darrynm, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm happy to hear our staff could find rooms that fit your specific needs. Thank you for staying with us.

Been to The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel? Share your experiences!