“Nice room, but noisy” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel

You added The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel to your Saves list
The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   225 S 3rd Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55401 (Formerly Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Wisconsin
“Nice room, but noisy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The room itself is very nice, but the noise that came from the hallway and the street made for a poor night's sleep. I've stayed in dozens of hotels and this was one of the worst for sound proofing.
The sink is in the main part of the room, rather than with the toilet/shower, which I dislike unless I am the only one staying in the room. Parking is $15 for self park, though it is in a heated garage.
Internet is $9.95; I have a hard time understanding why one and two star hotels offer free Internet, yet better hotels charge for it.
On the plus side, the room was spacious and comfortable with a nice black-out shade. I stayed here because I went to a meeting held there. If you have to stay at this hotel, ask for a room on an upper floor near the end of the hallway.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Darrynm, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for your review and comments. I'm sorry for the noise level you experienced during your stay. Our goal is for every traveler to have a relaxful stay with us. We are very accommodating to requests for quiter sides and areas. Being a historic hotel we have many long hallways with twists and turns. We strive to locate the traveler in the location that best fits their needs.

Again, thank you for staying with us. We hope you'll discover us again if your travels find you in our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

I spent 6 nights over New Years at this hotel in one of the historic suites. The room was a nominal upcharge for the spectacular comfort. I had a jacuzzi tub, exquisite decor, and 12 foot ceilings. The bed was very comfortable and warm. The blackout curtains were perfect for this jetlagged traveler.

Room service was not good. I put my breakfast order out as I had a guest meeting me for breakfast one morning and the order never arrived. When I called down they told me they forgot about it and would be bringing up. After it finally got there, they took a whopping 10% off. I was not pleased. I ordered a hummus dish one evening that arrived on time and was tasty though.

There is a big alert that should be posted for the traveler without children... THIS HOTEL HAS LOTS OF KIDS. I was not bothered as the suites are cornered off. But getting to the lobby was like walking through an elementary school. Also, this hotel is very close to the stadium so it has lots of fans staying there on game weekends.

All in all a B+ experience.

• Stayed December 2012
Darrynm, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
We appreciate your review. I’m glad we could offer a great room for such an extended stay with us. The room you stayed in was once was the offices for the railroad and each one is unique. I am sorry to hear your room service order was missed. I have looked into the situation and can assure you this isn’t a normal occurrence.
You make a great point about the amount of children and families here over New Year’s Eve. This is not a typical period of time for our hotel. Holidays and weekends are very family friendly and we’re known for being a great staycation. On your stay we also had the Vikings versus Green Bay game which added to the family attraction. On the weekdays, we are business oriented. Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again when you’re in the area.
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

We arrived on Sun, Dec. 30 during a very busy time prior to the Vikings/ Packers game. We booked a regular room but asked to upgrade to the skating package. At first the woman helping us said that she didn't think we could upgrade because that needed to be booked in advance but she said she would check on it (and she actually did). She and another gentleman working the desk upgraded us to a package and sent us on our way. They were both so friendly, helpful and positive that I walked away and said to my husband 'best customer service ever!' The valet workers were also spot on so another added customer service bonus. Our room was comfortable, clean and nicely appointed. We didn't use the waterpark but did take advantage of the skating. The room package allowed the kids to come and go from skating as long as our stay lasted. There is a ballroom next to the rink that is absolutely stunning (doors were open so we took a peek). And the heated parking garage is an awesome perk during our frigi winters. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I’m glad our staff was quick to react and we were able to meet your family’s needs while you were here. One of the unique points of our property is you never know what you’re going to discover around the next corner. We hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again!
Minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Our family of 4 was here on a New Year's Eve package.We skated, dined, swam and did sone of the kids activities. It rook 3 requests to get extra towels + pillows (which should have been there anyway) and never got our Marriott Platinum perks cheese tray and bottled water. Lovely property in former Milwaukee rail depot, but elevators are few, small and slow.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. New Year’s Eve is an extremely busy time. We are the only hotel the features a true family getaway experience in Minneapolis. With the kids DJ, bouncy houses, rink, waterpark and game room we have a lot to monitor. Your comments will help us define staffing for next year’s celebration and make it a perfect experience for everyone. Again, thank you for staying with us and we do hope to see you on future stays.
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I were traveling with a 7-year old with plans to attend a Gopher hockey game.
We arrived late on a Friday night to check-in. Check-in went smoothly. Valet parking wasn't available so my husband parked our vehicle in the underground parking garage ($15/night). Underground parking is fabulous in the winter in Minnesota. We had a nice corner room on the 5th floor with two queen beds. The rooms aren't large, but they are comfortable and clean. The beds are comfy and the room included a small fridge, not much of a view. They also supply Aveda products (I always appreciate nice soap/shampoo/conditioner).

A few things worth noting if you're traveling with kids: The Depot ice skating rink is attached to the building. It's great. It costs extra (discounted to around $6/adult if you mention that you're staying at the hotel) but is totally worth it if you enjoying skating. It's a great way to burn off energy when it's too cold to be outside.
The water park is nice/clean with life guards and kept our child entertained for at least an hour. I did hear some parents say that once your kids have been to Wisconsin Dells and experienced the waterparks there, this one didn't seem like anything special. I'd say it's great for kids up to age 9 or 10, but kids older than that probably won't enjoy it as much.
There's also an arcade near the water park which was hit with my child.
Good coffee/lattes are available right next door at Dunn Brothers Coffee. It's within walking distance to Nicolet Mall. Short cab ride to Mariucci Arena. Good running down by the river just a few blocks away if it's not too cold outside.
After reading some of the reviews, our expectations weren't high. The staff and the hotel's accomodations exceeded our expectations in every way.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Darrynm, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Great review. As you said, our water park is perfect for the pre-teen and under but I've seen some adults having a great time as well. Thank you for staying with us.
Mendota Heights, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We spent 1 night for a little staycation with the kids before the holiday. We were not disappointed when we arrived to our rooms, they were nice, spacious, clean, well-decorated. The kids enjoyed the waterpark and games adjacent to the hotel - that was a big bonus! We enjoyed dinner a few blocks away at the Spaghetti Factory so great to be able to walk to a restaurant. What dissapointed us the most was breakfast - granted the hotel was not very busy but the staff was light and the service was nil. We arrived at the hotel restaurant, proceeded to wait and finally seated ourselved next to a table where staff were meeting. We continued to wait another 5-10 minutes while the staff did not help us at all. We then went to the buffet where we had to wait while the staff was first. My husband expressed his disappointment to the manager, and she was very apologetic even gave us free tickets to ice skating next door to "make it right" This was much appreciated, but good advice to the staff would be to take your name tags off first before you enjoy the hotel restaurant - service and the customer should come first.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I'm truly sorry that the staff made a negative impact on what sounded like a terrific stay. I have forwarded your comments on to our leadership team as this is not our standard. We appreciate you discovering us and hope you will again when in the area.
Fort Bragg, CA USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We spent 3 nights last month on a weekend at a family wedding and were most impressed with this hotel, it's Marriott staff, and it's really well thought out amenities. We stayed in a room that resembled a small suite with a couch and upholstered easy chair, great TV, good desk and chair with all up-to-date gadget necessities. Our room, and the whole hotel, is very well thought out and well designed and put together. Everything was fresh and new feeling and everything worked well such as the air conditioner, the nifty multiple curtains with blackout capabilities, the desk with fixtures and fittings for laptops, phones, other gadgets. We were impressed with the comfort and great design. The hotel was filled with families getting married apparently so there were lots of kids and families whooping it up but our room was totally silent. I totally agree with the other 4 and 5 star reviews on the charm and history of the place. It's unusually warm and inviting. Our only gripe is with all hotels that now use only duvets for the bed which are too warm for us in almost all weather conditions.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your great review. We appreciate you staying with us.

Been to The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel? Share your experiences!