“Comfortable and near theater district” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel

You added The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel to your Saves list
The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   225 S 3rd Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55401 (Formerly Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Eveleth, Minnesota
“Comfortable and near theater district”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Spent a girls weekend at Depot Renaissance. This hotel is clean and classy, not big on amenities but I LOVE the Marriott beds. Parking was not a problem and rates were reasonable. Our trip was planned to see a show in the theater district and we were within walking distance but not in the heart of downtown. Attached to water park which we did not check out. Overall out stay was very comfortable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Darrynm, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review. Sounds like you had a great weekend. Thank you for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at the Depot since we were involved in an event there. We wanted a convenient place to change clothes and crash after the event.

We reserved one of the junior "historic" suites. It was a very nice room indeed - a true suite (with a separate bedroom space), comfortable beds, and a nice bathroom.

We were just there the one evening, so it is hard to speak to any of the rest of the hotel's service. But maid service seemed to be decent, as was security.

I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Darrynm, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for your review. We have fantastic historic suites we're very proud of. They once served as the offices for the functioning Milwaukee Road Depot . All of them are unique and filled with historic memorabilia. Thank you for choosing us. We hope you experience us again.
Grand Forks, North Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stay at this hotel approximately 2-3 times yearly. It's easily accessed from I-94 and is close to public transportation. It was the host hotel for an event that was being held across the street. We usually have no problems at this hotel and recommend it to others. This time, however, we had a very disappointing experience.

The primary issue was having to wait 2.5 to three hours for our hotel room. We arrived at 2pm (which is an hour prior to check-in), and fortunately one of our rooms was ready (we reserved three). Given we were early, we had no problem waiting. We were informed by staff that they would call us when the other rooms were ready. So, we waited, waited, and waited some more. We ended up going down there three different times (we had somewhere to be by 5:30) to ask about the status of our room. The staff were not only unhelpful (we kept hearing "we asked housekeeping about the status and haven't heard back from them") they were dismissive.

Finally at about 4:45, I went down, and the woman assisting me says, "Yep, your room is ready. What? No one told you it was ready?" Ugh. I asked why it took so long, and she said it was because many people had an early check in. That didn't make any sense. What continued to not make sense was the fact that our rooms were right by the first room we got at 2pm. Given we were waiting up there, we were aware that housekeeping was done cleaning our rooms (as evidenced by the fact their carts were GONE) at about 3pm. Why it took over another hour to get our rooms is beyond me. I also question when we would have been informed that our rooms were ready...despite I repeatedly checked and they had two cell phone numbers to call and inform us (that they NEVER called).

I understand that things take time and waiting needs to happen sometimes, especially when a hotel is busy. However, I am incredibly disappointed by the lack of communication between staff and the dismissiveness with which this was all handled. In fact, none of the staff even so much as apologized. That is incredibly unfortunate. I would have been much less upset had they apologized and at least acted like the fact I was waiting for so long was annoying and quite an inconvenience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and for staying with us. I truly appoligize for the issues you experienced at check in. We strive to ensure no one has to wait for a regardless of the number of rooms or the time of check in. We are dedicated to our guests and hope that this doesn't persuade you from staying with us in the future. Thank you for discovering us,
Kenosha, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We were in town for a wedding. The location is excellant, you are just a few blocks away from the river walk, designed around the flour mill history of Minneapolis that also includes a museum. Cross the river and you have your choice of any number of places to eat. The room was very comfortable, clean and well maintained. I agree with Pam T, it would have been nice to have more coffee options available in the room or hotel, but there is a coffee shop just two doors down. If your doing anything in town, wedding, ball games, etc. this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river on the fourth floor or higher.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review of The Depot Renassance Hotel Minneapolis. You hit on a number of key features that make our hotel truly unique. You mentioned the Dunn Bros coffee shop next door to us. Did you notice it's the original frieght house building of the railroad. It's an amazing building inside and out. Thank you for staying with us.
Gold Canyon, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Checking in was great! Our room was beautiful and very comfortable. I wish they would provide more coffee in the room - or at least somewhere for the hotel guests. After 1 cup for each of us - that was it, and none available in the lobby. Had to purchase it we wanted more.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Darrynm, Manager at The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for your review and kind comments. I will be sure to pass them on to our associates. As a coffee drinker myself I understand your feelings and will look for solutions. As we strive for locally grown and indigenous items we serve Dunn Bros coffee in all our restaurants and banquet space. This allows us to serve the best coffee we can source.
Again, thank you for your review and we hope you come back and see us soon.
Jersey City, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed in one of the historic suites for 6 nights this summer with my husband and our 3 yr old son. Overall I was very happy with our choice. The hotel is beautiful and historic and there was lots of train paraphernalia for our son to enjoy. Some described the neighborhood as a little off the beaten track, but we loved that about it. It's within walking distance to pretty much anything you would need downtown and has the advantage of being right near the Mill Ruins and bridge, which are so interesting! It's also very easy to hop on 35W. The suite itself was reminiscent of days of yore, but was up to date, comfortable, and well-appointed. Huge bedroom, living room, and bathroom. We could not have been more delighted with the suite! We requested a mini fridge (there was no mini bar) and it was in our room when we arrived. We had a lot of fun at the indoor waterpark one of the days...and I guess we lucked out because it wasn't crowded at all.

I would have given this place 5 stars, but was disappointed by the customer service in some areas. The wireless fee doesn't cover 24 hrs from the time you purchase it and this isn't transparent. It goes from noon to noon, so I ordered it at 10am and then was prompted to pay again at 12:30pm. When I called the front desk to ask that the charge be reversed, they were adamant about not reversing it and suggested I instead go to the lobby where I could enjoy free wireless during my entire stay. Meanwhile, I have a toddler I need to take care of in our room. We were spending a lot of money on a suite for 6 nights and they couldn't reverse a nominal fee? We called the internet provider who then called the hotel who then reversed the charge. Second, the room service folks don't exactly give you the heads up that an 18% service charge is already included, so we wayyyy over-tipped a couple of times before figuring it out. This is something we should have looked out for I suppose, but it would have been a common courtesy for the staff to point out we'd tipped 40% on a bill. I'm a stickler for great service when traveling. It doesn't take a lot and people will return if you go the extra step.

All that said, I'd give them another try when visiting Minneapolis again because the facilities and location are top-notch.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We strive to give the best possible service to our guests. I have made a note of the items you pointed out and will be addressing them.
I truly appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We hope to see you again in the future.
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Our organization just had a meeting of about 160 at the Depot and it was as good as any I have ever attended. Meeting rooms were excellent and the spaces flowed together well. Service was teriffic; truly an outstanding staff! Rooms were very comfortable. The food was ok but not up the the standard of everything else. (If you stay at Marriotts you will understand. Food looks good but most of it has little flavor.) We had some events in special locations nearby which were very attractive and easy to walk to. The location near the river offered nice walks and scenery. I would strongly recommend this property for any kind of meeting or to anyone going to Twin Cities.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words. I hope you discover us again when your travels find you in our area.

Been to The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel? Share your experiences!