“Best Pick for Mini Get Away.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel

You added The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel to your Saves list
The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   225 S 3rd Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55401 (Formerly Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Best Pick for Mini Get Away.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel 5 times now and I've stayed at every other major hotel in Minneapolis and this is the one to book! It is somewhere between a boutique and regular hotel feel. So yes there isn't 20 people waiting to unload your car hounding you for a tip and sometimes you need to wait your turn at the front desk. However once it is your turn they take care of their customers.

Service: As a mother of a 1 year old, I am usually left waiting in my room for extra pillows, a packn'play and blankets to arrive. With some hotels, I wait almost the whole day as I hold my screaming cranky kid. Here, if I didn't already have it in my room, it was brought up within 5 minutes. They serve cookies and fresh citrus water in the lobby and the front desk carries all the things you forgot. (like dress pins!)

Rooms: Space of the regular rooms are comparable or sometimes larger then the other hotels. However Stay in the Historical Suites. They are amazing and each one is different. They are worth the price to upgrade as they usually have more then one room. We did stay in their Largest room last time: The Milwaukee Suite. It has it's own kitchen, dining room, living room, a bathroom big enough to be another bed room, and a huge bedroom. I held my sons Birthday party there and it held 10 adults and 3 kids comfortably. All rooms were so clean, and they do well with early check in. I always call a head to make sure the rooms are ready for us to go in and so far I noticed that they are ready by 12. (just call a head)

Location: It's close to everywhere you want to be. Stadium is in walking distance and with many bars to choose from on the way, but to be honest I love their cozy bar in the hotel! Check it out! It caters beyond the usual bud, bud light, and miller lite (though they have that too)

Food: Yes they are a bit expensive for room service and breakfast. If that is an issue I would recommend planning a head and bringing donuts for the family to eat. Though I got chicken fingers in the bar and it could serve a 1-3 people.

Things to do: The water park is so much for kids. I never had issues with the water being too cold. I swear kids never care anyways. The ice skating rink is a blast, but the space is used for a lot of events and may be closed down. Best to check ahead if it has been booked before your trip.

Room Tip: Historical suites are worth the upgrade. They are in a quiet wing. I did not like the whirl pool sui...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

This is a hotel that thinks it's better than it is, merely because it has a nice checkin area, a nice bar, and is in an old building.

What they fail to recognize is that ultimately it's the room that matters, and that was severely lacking. Having paid $199 per night, I expect a room with a bit of space, but that is simply not the case. The work area was pretty pathetic, and the couch and coffee table crammed in such that there was little room to move about. Another downside to the work area was their expectation that you would pay $10 per day for internet. How come Courtyard gives that for free, but the supposed "higher end" (and higher price) properties in the chain don't. Thankfully I have a wireless card - I refuse to pay for internet anymore.

The room had a nice bed, and the better bedding that they use in the higher end properties, though a good nights sleep wast possible due to the poor sound insulation making any and every noise from outside seem amplified.

The bathroom was straight out of a Courtyard, with the thin towels and poor quality soaps and shampoos that you expect from Courtyard. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually a big fan of the Courtyard chain, but wouldn't pay $199 for it.

On the plus side, it is an interesting old building, and the bar area was very nice. The fitness centre is small, but well enough equipped (and it's so out of the way I can't imagine it getting especially busy).

One final rip off comes from the parking. $28 per day that cost me. Sheesh!

Room Tip: You can find good rooms in other hotels!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Grand Forks, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

My husband and I stay here 2-3 times yearly. It's our go-to hotel in the area given it's reason able price and good location (walking distance to the T and easy skyway access). Due to bad weather, we decided last minute to take Amtrak to Minneapolis, which meant we'd be getting in at 8am. We contacted the hotel the day prior for early check in, which they were able to give to us. We also reguarly order room service. The food is good and reasonably priced. The rooms are comfortable.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Amherst
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

Stayed at The Depot earlier this month, and upon entering the front door, I thought, 'wow...cool'. The lobby and bar area are newly renovated, and beautiful! Dark wood, marble...cozy seating around a fireplace in the bar...NICE! Once we arrived in our room, however...it was a Courtyard...same room layout, same bath products, same thin towels, same bed. Not a Rennaissance quality hotel! I am a Marriott Gold member, and I was placed in a street level, mediocre room that was SO LOUD, I didn't get any sleep. Right acorss the street from a bus stop, so I heard the busses idling all night long...argh! Also, internet in this hotel is awful! My husband and I were there on business, and needed the internet connection. The internet dropped the connection 28 times the first night, and the second night, I stopped counting at 30...so aggravating. When I called the front desk, I was told there was 'no problem' and it must be my computer. However, when I pulled out my wireless card, I had no problems. Pros for this property: nice folks, great bar, decent food. Cons: It's a Courtyard charging Rennaissance rates, bad internet, terrible location for a quiet stay.

Room Tip: Any room NOT facing the bus stop
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Had another wonderful stay at the Depot. We always enjoy the comfortable rooms, great service and convenient location to Downtown.

• Stayed February 2012
Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Depot Renaissance with our two children. We were not aware that there was a waterpark as my 3 year old just wanted to swim in a pool. A life guard stopped us and asked if we had wrist bands, we did not. She instructed me that we needed to purchase wrist bands at the front desk for $10.00 per person, including my 3 year old son. Even though I would be holding onto my 6 month old inside the water park, I still needed a wrist band. $10.00.
The only part of the water park that we could stay in was the over 3 feet deep, therefore we had to hold our 3 year old in the pool. The other water park pool areas were far too cold for young children to play in. My son was not able to enjoy the one water slide they offer as he was under 48'' tall.

Our room was absolutely gorgeous, I have to complaints about that. Very clean, just gorgeous all around!

The front desk staff were not attentive when I was waiting for assistance, I had to wait each time which was very annoying since I had a baby with me.
We very disappointed to hear that there was no (free continental) breakfast offered to guests. We were to purchase a continental breakfast for $11.00 per person which consisted of juice and muffins. The breakfast meals were rediculously over priced, we ended up eating breakfast elsewhere.
The waterpark did not open until 9:00am but we were not able to swim since our 3 year old was hungry. For a hotel who "caters" to children, there should be a FREE continental breakfast offered.

Parking is insane! 15.00 to park for all guests. Your $129.00 a night stay turns into over $200.00.

We will not be staying at this hotel in the future. We very disappointed!.

Room Tip: Don't stay near elevator, it dings (loud) when arriving to a floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I had a really enjoyable stay, in particular because of the "above and beyond" service that I received from Thea. I had a truck outside my room window with the engine running for a few hours. Thea updated me on why that was there and offered to move me down the corridor to a quieter side of the hotel. Efficient and effective problem solving and excellent service.

The only issue I had was that this hotel charges for Internet access!!

Rooms were very nice. Restaurant was disappointing but read my review on that.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel? Share your experiences!