“Nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel to your Saves list
The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   225 S 3rd Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55401 (Formerly Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #21 of 48 hotels in Minneapolis
Minnesota
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

This place is nice, clean and updated. Had a nice view. Beds were great ,firm w/ just enough cushion. They supply Aveda products. Self park weekends is $15 overnight w/in and out privledges. Valet is steep at $28. Dont do valet, self park is very easy and very close to the building entrance on the back side. Check in woman was very nice and didnt get down on me for early check in which was really nice. Im from Minneapolis and have stayed at many downtown hotels. This is my favorite

Room Tip: If you are with your family ask for a room close to the waterpark if possible
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

266 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Miamisburg, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

We stayed at the hotel in May. I am a Platinum Marriott guest so called ahead 3 times to ask for an upgrade to a large room. I was told that I would have one of the larger rooms. When we checked in we had the smallest room in the place. We could not even find the room at first as you had to go thru a door, then another door to get to your room. There were two room doors after you got thru the first door. And if the people in the other room had decided to put the double lock bar on the outside door, we could not have accessed our room. Very strange configuration. In addition, I had requested a refrigerator in the room, but they did not bring it until we arrived in the room and had to call and remind them. I tried to make the best of it. Took a nice relaxing bath using a "sugar scrub" lotion. I use this scrub frequently while travelling. When I got up early the next morning there were about a thousand ants all over the tub. The room was on the fourth floor so the entire hotel must be crawling with ants. I called and they finally decided to give me a larger room! We moved to the room ourselves which was quite a ways down the hall in the newer addition. When we got all settled I spoke with the manager and she was agreeable that we had not been treated as a valued guest. She did give us dinner that night and also some additional Marriott points. The Marriott usually makes things right when they make a mistake. However I do want to make people aware of the possiblity of ants that are crawling thru the walls. I was worried that they were in our clothes and suitcases. Hopefully the hotel has been properly exterminated at this point, but I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room in the new addition as they are larger.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights for a weekend visit. The hotel is in a gorgeous historic train depot and they do a great job of playing off that theme for the decor. Comfortable bed and we slept well. The problems came when we were both trying to get ready. There is one sink with zero counter space. There is no other mirror (no full length mirror, no mirror near a light) where a second person can get ready. There is one chair you can sit in, so if two people want to watch TV, the bed is the only option for sitting. This is a room for one person. Also valet parking ($28 per day) is NOT 24 hour. When we were leaving @ 5am, we found out that valet didn't start until 6am so we were escorted to our car in the garage. Oh well. Last but not least, the hotel ran out of coffee for the in-room coffee service. Really?? How does that happen. So we wanted to make coffee for our early AM departure but, no such luck. So next time, we will probably try somewhere else in downtown MSP.

• Stayed October 2011
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Just attending a wedding here. The place is great. the winter garden is a beautiful place for a wedding. Nice hotel for people with kids to come because of the water park. Rooms were nice. This is a huge place so will have to walk a little. Service was very good.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Liverpool, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I spent 3 nights at the Depot on business. The hotel was clean, comfortable and quite. The food was very good. We also visited the bar, very nice and the staff was outstanding!

Room Tip: Rooms are large. Quitter if not facing the street or courtyard :)
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

I come here often for business and the service keeps me coming back. Rooms are nothing special, but are clean and comfortable. Staff is very attentive. Lobby bar is very good.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Cable, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Although this is a beautiful hotel, I probably wouldn't stay again.

I was going to the cities for a weekend, and wanted to stay right downtown. I called to book my reservation, and asked the norm:

Is there a mini fridge?
Is there a microwave?
Can I get a King room?
Can I pay in cash when I get there?
Do you have parking?

Yes to all of these questions.

Well... $135.00 plus tax charged to my credit card, there goes paying cash out the window to start with. Followed by showing up only to find out that, sure... there's parking... valet even... for a $28.00 fee. Got to my room with food in hand only to find out that there was no fridge. No microwave. No King bed.

When I went to complain, they were not helpful at all.

I work at a resort, and it is my JOB to be accommodating to everyone... and they were not.

The only good part about this stay was the bartender. He was great. And he even let us purchase a bottle of wine and gave us a bucket with ice and two glasses to take up to our room since he was closing for the night.

Needless to say... this was a not-so-thrilling stay. For that, I should have stayed at the Super 8 down the street.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel? Share your experiences!