“Looking for a reason to return!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

Booking.com Expedia.com
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Offers & Announcements
2014 FREE Valet Parking
Ranked #4 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Pulaski, Wisconsin
“Looking for a reason to return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

I had the pleasure of staying here last month while in Minneapolis for work. This is absolutely a 4 star hotel. Everything about it was awesome from the staff to the room and amenities.
I was traveling with a group of 11 including myself. Due to the start times of our conference we all arrived before check-in. The staff took our bags for us and put everything in the concierge room.
When I returned later that afternoon, I was given my room key, and asked if I wanted a newspaper and if so which one (I think the choices were the Star-Tribune, the NY Times or USA Today.) I loved that. How often have you gone to a hotel and not been asked only to throw the paper out.
Once in my room I was in absolute awe! I opened the door to find the bed turned down, soft music playing on the radio, a comfy bathrobe on the bed and soft lighting. Also, the front desk staff had called the room and asked if the room met my expectations.
The bed was huge and one of the plushest I have slept on. Plenty of pillows and the linens were crisp.
My favorite part of the room was the bathroom. IT WAS HUGE! I think the biggest hotel bathroom I've ever seen! The tub has it's own area with a TV so you can soak in the tub and catch the news. In it's own "room" behind a clear class door was the toilet. The shower was a dual head shower that was all gigantic. The soaps and lotions were nicely scented and plentiful.
The hotel was quiet, if it was full I never knew it. I didn't hear any sounds from any of the rooms around me. Another rare thing when staying at a hotel.
I found it's location to be central to many things. And being downtown everything fun was within walking distance. I do know that parking was at a premium and had we driven, we would have had to pay to park. This is no different than any other big city downtown hotel I've stayed in.
I absolutely want to return and next time bring my husband. Stay here! You won't regret it!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

448 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Turkish first
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

We just got back from a 5 night stay and absolutely loved this hotel. Great clean comfortable rooms, the A/C unit was awesome. The location and small size of the hotel makes it super easy to walk to anywhere in the city. Was traveling with a three year old and a two month old and was helped out every day by the bellmen with our strollers. Would definetly recommend staying if you can afford it.

Only negatives, the hotel does not list on it's web page where the valet is located, we had a hard time finding it the first day to park our car. Also the T.V.'s have no children's channels and although they are HD TV's do not have an HD signal. Other then that this is a great hotel. Would definetly recommend.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

The Grand offers a truly superior room experience for business hotels. Renovated, comfortable, no 10 minute walks from the elevator, etc.

The balance is a mixed bag.

The hotel is "full" service but shuts down many of its services early and on the weekend. Who has heard of a hotel gym closed at 9:30 p.m.? Excessive and early closings mar the other "full" services at well.

The valet parking is not in front of the hotel, but around the block (and requires that one drive several blocks to get there to manage traffic). There is no bellman stationed at the valet; they are happy for you to grab your bags.

Did not use the business center or WiFi (although told WiFi was free; a nice touch). While the property does have widescreen TVs they are NOT properly provisioned or configured -- no HD television stations and the SD television stations are all stretched rather than displayed in proper aspect ratio. That was amateurish in 2007 and is unacceptable in 2010.

A nice touch is the free coffee service at your room every morning.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

Yet another great stay at the Grand Hotel. Within walking distance to Block E. Highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

This place was so gorgeous! The room was amazing. TV in the bathtub! Super comfy bed and heavenly robes.

The only thing is there is no coffee pot in the room so be prepared to travel for coffee... or get room service.
AND there is free wi fi which is very unusual these days.

Check in and out was simple. The staff was so nice. GREAT GREAT HOTEL! Would highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

This is the third time I've stayed at the Grand on business and it is always a pleasure. The rooms have everything I need, room service and food quality is great. I especially love the downtown location, and the free access to the Minneapolis Athletic Club (full gym and large swimming pool, with a steam room and sauna in the locker room). Business center has private rooms for the public-access computers. I travel often on business, and this hotel is one of the best I've found in the United States.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Flyover County
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

My wife and I stayed at The Grand for a weekend getaway. The "Grand" is appropriately named. We were treated great, the rooms were comfortable, the downtown location was perfect. Their weekend rates are surprisingly affordable.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!