“Great Weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Offers & Announcements
2014 FREE Valet Parking
Ranked #4 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Flyover County
“Great Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

My wife and I stayed at The Grand for a weekend getaway. The "Grand" is appropriately named. We were treated great, the rooms were comfortable, the downtown location was perfect. Their weekend rates are surprisingly affordable.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

448 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Turkish first
New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

Stayed here one night with my husband while I was on a business trip. Booked the trip through Orbitz and got a fair deal on the price and a free room upgrade. Arrived at the hotel and parked the car across the street at the parking garage they recommended on the phone. Asked for a voucher to park in the garage across the street but we were told they were out of vouchers for the night... so the gentleman proceeded to tell us about other options for parking. We are not from MN let alone Minneapolis but he just chatted right along about how to get to other parking garages/lots-- much like a robot! Of course we lost him after the 3rd take a left across from the (?) building... Decided to keep the car across the street. As we were leaving the garage in the evening for dinner we mentioned to the garage attendant that we were staying at the Grand Hotel across the street and that they were out of vouchers for the night/in and out privileges... the attendant seemed like this has happened before and had the manager come and help. The manager phoned the hotel and looked and sounded like he was annoyed with the hotel by this problem as he had just called them one hour ago about this same issue. The garage manager took our room # and let us depart. The garage attendant and manager were very helpful!
If we were staying here for more than one night I would have asked for a different room, but seeing it was nighttime and we were heading out the next morning I didn't... the room was on the 6th floor and had the smallest window tucked into a corner of the room with a view of the brick walls-- much like a basement window. Upgrade? I would have loved to see the original room! The bathroom was nice, very large. The bed was quite comfortable!
When checking out the next morning the 2 women there were very nice and helpful... quite the contrast to the robot of the day prior!
There looks to be many other options in the downtown area of the city that I would go to next time!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Blaine, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

I have nothing but praise for The Grand Hotel, Minneapolis. The decor is warm and classic elegance. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. All of our requests were met effortlessly. Our room was comfortable and immaculate with everything in perfect working order. We enjoyed the lounge as well as breakfast in the restaurant the next morning.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Rockford, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

This hotel is definately worth every penny!! I will stay here EVERY time I travel to MN!! Never was one thing out of place here. It was by far the cleanest place I have ever stayed at and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The bed was so comfortable, we slept like babies! The fitness center is the BEST! We were truly impressed by everything here!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

My boyfriend and I recently had a child. I decided to quit my job to take care of our new- born. So rewarding, yet, so stressful!. I'm sure all mother's can relate:) My boyfriend said that he wanted me to come with him downtown to a "workplace" event, with a smirk. When he pulled up to "Grand Hotel Valet", almost cried:)

I didn't even know there was a "Grand Hotel". Well, don't really know what there is downtown anymore because it has been so long.

As soon as we walked in the door, there was a most friendly older gentleman, with a very sincere and kind welcome. Wonderful first impression! Yet, only got better from there. From check-in on, every person my boyfriend and I interacted with seemed like they truly "cared" and were going to make sure we had a great time.

Such a classy hotel and great service!!!!!

Almost forgot, woke up in the morning because I was told they had a great health club inside the hotel. I walked into the gym and could not believe how amazing their fitness center was:)

All and all, a wonderful and much needed surprise and relaxing weekend. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
CorporateHotelier, Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2010
Dear cbenton,

Thank you so much your kind words about our hotel. The gratitude we receive from reviews like yours are the very reason that most of us choose to work in hospitality. It was truly our pleasure to accommodate your stay, and we look forward to your return!

The Grand Hotel Team
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

Some time ago, we won a "romantic weekend package" to stay at the Grand Hotel in Minneapolis (615 2nd Avenue South). Because of family health issues, we actually asked for and were approved to extend the deadline for using our gift package (twice)! Kim Nevins, Sales and Catering, was most understanding and helpful. We were finally able to book our stay for last weekend (Jan. 8 and 9). I requested assistance in ordering flowers only hours before we were to check in. Molly was able to make special arrangements with Bachman's and the flowers I'd ordered awaited us upon our arrival. When we checked in, we were immpediately assisted by Angela, provided a gift card for breakfast and given a good briefing on hotel amenities. Our room was wonderful. All amenities were in tip top shape. The bed was very comfortable. Great bath facilities. And our shoes were shined, ready for us in the a.m. Our Saturday morning breakfast in bed was very enjoyable. We simply couldn't recall enjoying Saturday morning with breakfast in bed. Great food, the newspaper, and a most relaxing time. After the Dog Show in St. Paul and shopping in Minneapolis, we had a nice dinner out on the town. We returned to champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. Every time we needed assistance from check-in to check-out, the Grand Hotel staff was there to meet our every need. We enjoyed the food. The bell men, valet service and outstanding customer service overall...every aspect of our stay was enjoyable. All couples should have a weekend away like ours. To Kim, Molly, Angela and the entire staff, thank you for making our stay at the Grand Hotel such a GRAND experience. We hope to be back for our next special occasion.

Bob and Sarah Gustafson
Plymouth, MN 55447

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

My wife and I stayed at this hotel New Year's Eve. It may sound silly but my wife's strongest desire was to spend much of the evening swimming at the pool. I specifically asked during the reservation if the pool would be open. They said yes. Upon arrival we find out the pool is closed "due to the holiday". We were both very dissapointed concerning the lack of communication.
The hotel itself is nice but there are a few signs it is showing its age.
The room was clean but the HVAC fan was very noisy, even on the low setting.
Parking is around $20/night depending upon which ramp you stay in.
The hotel itself is passable but was a dissapointing experience.
There are too many other better choices with greater value in downtown Mpls.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
CorporateHotelier, Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2010
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis puts great pride, effort and expense in keeping our hotel in brand-new physical condition, and makes every effort to communicate all hotel information completely and accurately to our guests. We have made repeated efforts to contact this guest in order to see where a communication breakdown may have occured and to garner more information on what the guest specifically meant by, "there are a few signs it is showing its age." Unfortunately this guest has not responded, and therefore we have no way to address these misunderstandings so that we can make good by him.

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!