“Wonderful hotel, wonderful memories!!!"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Special Offer
2014 FREE Valet Parking
Ranked #4 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
minneapolis
“Wonderful hotel, wonderful memories!!!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

My boyfriend and I recently had a child. I decided to quit my job to take care of our new- born. So rewarding, yet, so stressful!. I'm sure all mother's can relate:) My boyfriend said that he wanted me to come with him downtown to a "workplace" event, with a smirk. When he pulled up to "Grand Hotel Valet", almost cried:)

I didn't even know there was a "Grand Hotel". Well, don't really know what there is downtown anymore because it has been so long.

As soon as we walked in the door, there was a most friendly older gentleman, with a very sincere and kind welcome. Wonderful first impression! Yet, only got better from there. From check-in on, every person my boyfriend and I interacted with seemed like they truly "cared" and were going to make sure we had a great time.

Such a classy hotel and great service!!!!!

Almost forgot, woke up in the morning because I was told they had a great health club inside the hotel. I walked into the gym and could not believe how amazing their fitness center was:)

All and all, a wonderful and much needed surprise and relaxing weekend. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
CorporateHotelier, Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2010
Dear cbenton,

Thank you so much your kind words about our hotel. The gratitude we receive from reviews like yours are the very reason that most of us choose to work in hospitality. It was truly our pleasure to accommodate your stay, and we look forward to your return!

The Grand Hotel Team

470 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

Some time ago, we won a "romantic weekend package" to stay at the Grand Hotel in Minneapolis (615 2nd Avenue South). Because of family health issues, we actually asked for and were approved to extend the deadline for using our gift package (twice)! Kim Nevins, Sales and Catering, was most understanding and helpful. We were finally able to book our stay for last weekend (Jan. 8 and 9). I requested assistance in ordering flowers only hours before we were to check in. Molly was able to make special arrangements with Bachman's and the flowers I'd ordered awaited us upon our arrival. When we checked in, we were immpediately assisted by Angela, provided a gift card for breakfast and given a good briefing on hotel amenities. Our room was wonderful. All amenities were in tip top shape. The bed was very comfortable. Great bath facilities. And our shoes were shined, ready for us in the a.m. Our Saturday morning breakfast in bed was very enjoyable. We simply couldn't recall enjoying Saturday morning with breakfast in bed. Great food, the newspaper, and a most relaxing time. After the Dog Show in St. Paul and shopping in Minneapolis, we had a nice dinner out on the town. We returned to champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. Every time we needed assistance from check-in to check-out, the Grand Hotel staff was there to meet our every need. We enjoyed the food. The bell men, valet service and outstanding customer service overall...every aspect of our stay was enjoyable. All couples should have a weekend away like ours. To Kim, Molly, Angela and the entire staff, thank you for making our stay at the Grand Hotel such a GRAND experience. We hope to be back for our next special occasion.

Bob and Sarah Gustafson
Plymouth, MN 55447

Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

My wife and I stayed at this hotel New Year's Eve. It may sound silly but my wife's strongest desire was to spend much of the evening swimming at the pool. I specifically asked during the reservation if the pool would be open. They said yes. Upon arrival we find out the pool is closed "due to the holiday". We were both very dissapointed concerning the lack of communication.
The hotel itself is nice but there are a few signs it is showing its age.
The room was clean but the HVAC fan was very noisy, even on the low setting.
Parking is around $20/night depending upon which ramp you stay in.
The hotel itself is passable but was a dissapointing experience.
There are too many other better choices with greater value in downtown Mpls.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
CorporateHotelier, Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2010
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis puts great pride, effort and expense in keeping our hotel in brand-new physical condition, and makes every effort to communicate all hotel information completely and accurately to our guests. We have made repeated efforts to contact this guest in order to see where a communication breakdown may have occured and to garner more information on what the guest specifically meant by, "there are a few signs it is showing its age." Unfortunately this guest has not responded, and therefore we have no way to address these misunderstandings so that we can make good by him.
Madison, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

My husband and I visited the Grand Hotel for New Years and our first honeymoon. Since we are grad students, we wanted a honeymoon that would be inexpensive but relaxing. The Grand Hotel could not have been more perfect. When we checked in, they upgraded our hotel room to one with a view after we explained that this was our honeymoon. All of the staff were excellent and accommodating, and the room was unbelievably relaxing. The separate bath and enormous shower (with perfect water pressure) were complimented by very nice bath products. Even the coffee in the lounge in the mornings was quite good (and I'm a coffee snob)! Plus, the workout facilities and pool/sauna/steam room are 100% worth the cost itself - what a beautiful health club! By staying there in January (which, due to skywalk access, we never had to go outside to walk around downtown), we got a wonderful deal on this beautiful luxury hotel, and we would stay there again in a heartbeat!!

Laois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

the hotel cant be faulted great detail and comfort all round nice and confortable.. Hotel staff need to take notice of the "DO Not Disturb" signs however and do not know peoples do0rs when displaying this!!!
After that cant fault it

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

I have been traveling to Minneapolis for business for the last 5+ years, and no matter how many other hotels I try in that area, The Grand remains my favorite.

It's a very traditionally-styled hotel, so if you're looking for trendy, look elsewhere. In that vein, the staff is so polite and wonderful that I never hesitate to ask for anything. The rooms are all different and interesting in their own way, and the bathrooms are extremely luxurious, especially if you get a room with the deep-soaking tub.

They always have plenty of amenities, and if you stay more than one night, they give you new, full containers of everything. They have lovely plush robes, turn-down service (complete with chocolates on your pillow), and complimentary morning wake-up coffee service with your choice of newspaper.

And if you're a gym-rat, or if you like to work out at all while you travel, The Grand has the best hotel gym in Minneapolis. It's truly enormous, with countless cardio machines, squash courts, classes, etc. It's a Lifetime Fitness gym, and staffed with trainers so you're never in there alone. A lot of people who are not staying at the hotel have memberships here, and it gets busy around 6:30AM every morning. But it is one of the main reasons I love The Grand so much - I never have to worry about my workout.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Bronx, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

I stayed at this hotel during Thanksgiving weekend with my boyfriend. We've become spoiled in terms of hotels...we both like traveling on a budget but traveling well. The Grand was actually offered at a ridiculously low price so we booked. It was definitely one of the best hotels I've stayed at, especially in Minneapolis. We were traveling to another city and stayed in the Four Seasons for a couple of days after...although the atmosphere at the Four Seasons was better, I ended up missing the rooms at the Grand (they were nicer/offered more amenities). I especially liked the chocolates during turn down service, the plush beds, and all of the toiletries the hotel provided. Also, the location is right by the light rail which is extremely convenient, and connects to the skyway.
The only cons were their restaurant which seemed too trendy but expensive, their lack of free parking, and the fact their bar was closed during Thanksgiving.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!