“Really is Grand” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Offers & Announcements
20% Off + Dining Credit
Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in Minneapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Really is Grand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I've stayed in hundreds of hotels but this place really was special. Upon arrival and check in I was offered a complimentary glass of wine, (nice touch), the check in desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The room I stayed in was 1st Class, very well furnished with a mini bar, dressing gowns, slippers and lots of nice complimentary items in the bathroom. I used the restaurant for breakfast and enjoyed the unlimited coffee and juice along with a multiple choice menu and the food was freshly cooked. Finally I made use of the pool and changing areas, all included and it was pleasant and relaxing experience. I hope to go back again on my next trip to Minneapolis.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Turkish first
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I stayed at the Grand Hotel for a business meeting. Loved it! The location is fantastic, the decor is unique and fun, room was luxurious...all good. As other reviewers mentioned the staff is the best. We all loved Big Dave in the bar!..he made us feel like friends at a party. I had a room facing the courtyard so a little darker but very quiet so perfect. The room doesn't have an in room coffee maker as there's free coffee in the lobby, but all you have to do is call the front desk and viola..a coffee maker is delivered. Can't wait to get dressed and go downstairs for my coffee fix. The gym is unbelievable..huge! and there is a pool. I look forward to staying at The Grand Hotel again!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Ladera Ranch, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

My first time to this hotel since others were sold out. Boy, was I impressed! Upon entry I was greeted friendly with two gentlemen that opened to doors for me. This is always a nice touch since carrying luggage is painful. They offered to help. The lobby was clean. The person that checked me in was kind and helpful. He explained that there was a free happy hour from 5-6. Who does not like Free HAPPY HOUR? He got me into room 1401 which was a corner room so it had windows all around which is very nice. The hotel is an older building but had been upgraded to chic contemporary interiors. The room was full of snacks and I was able to use a 10 dollar credit because I signed up for the Kimpton Karma Rewards. Since I hopped on a plane at 745 from California by the time I got to MN I was starving. The "free" snack was perfect. The bathroom was large with marble and nice touches throughout. Shower was great. Bathtub was outstanding. I took a picture of that. I ordered room service and the gentleman that brought me my food was on point and very helpful. He was professional and prompt! The food was large enough to feed a family. The portions were so big that I could not eat it all. I ordered the Kimpton salad and chicken fingers and it was great! It honestly was a mound of food. I suggest you ask for a corner room. A few of us headed to the lobby bar for some pre dinner cocktails. The service was fine but the two gentlemen seemed a bit overwhelmed with us. I understand there was 30 of us so I get it but maybe a little more friendly. He snapped at my VP when she made a joke about a "to-go" cup. All in all it was "fine" service.
This by far was one of the better hotels I have stayed in. It was quiet and spacious. Upon checking out, I was able to print my boarding pass and head out. I had no issues while here at your lovely hotel. I also heard your gym was top notch. I didn't visit but heard from 3 others that it was fantastic! We will be back...

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Sandy Springs, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I visit the twin cities often and usually have to be in Saint Paul. This trip was sold out in Saint Paul so I stayed at the Grand Hotel in Minneapolis. A group I was traveling with chose it and it is great. The hotel is in the old Minneapolis Athletic Club and they've done a perfect job converting it to a hotel. I only saw my room but I expect that the rooms are all unique. The room was huge and incredibly quiet. They place items for sale in the room such as forgotten toothpaste, shaving supplies, and other things that I frequently forget or have confiscated by TSA. Very convenient.

The staff was extremely nice and professional and what I've found to be typical of Minnesotans. The hotel has easy access to the skyway although our weather was perfect and I used the sidewalk outside. Room service breakfast was expensive but excellent and tight on time. The lobby bar is very comfortable and perfect for the minimal lobby inside the Grand. Again- great service there. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant but will definitely visit again and will do so. I give two thumbs up.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear GoStreaking,

Thank you for this fantastic review! I'm so glad that you had an opportunity to experience The Grand. Thank you for the compliments about the staff and service. We have a wonderful group of people representing the hotel and providing exceptional service is their priority.

Thank you for mentioning the spaciousness of our rooms. They are unusually large for a downtown hotel. Each room is indeed unique. There are no two rooms that are configured the same and we have twelve different room types to choose from.

I appreciate you staying with us and hope you'll be back in the future, even if the Saint Paul hotels have availability!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I celebrated our first anniversary by going on a road trip to Minneapolis. After reading the reviews we decided to stay at The Grand Hotel, and it didn't disappoint. First of all the Hotel did everything to make our stay memorable. I got an email asking me for any special request and as I am already a member they already had my preferences, a corner room and feather pillows. I replied that I needed a hair Dryer since I forgot mine at home and we were already driving. We got there and immediately were congratulated on our anniversary. Without asking they upgraded our stay and gave us a room on the top floor with a beautiful view of the city. We got to the room and there was a bottle of champagne and a handwritten note congratulating us. It made our anniversary even more special. The room was spacious and nicely decorated. The hotel, overall, it really eclectic. We certainly loved it. The staff was friendly and always ready to help. Second it was the perfect location. It is right in the heart of the city and close to everything. We went to a handful of the restaurants on the trip advisor "Best of Minneapolis" list and all were 10-15 min away by car. The valet warned us that it would take around 15 min to get our car so we always called ahead of time and our car was waiting for us when we came down. It was and excellent experience and we will most definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are quieter and sunny
Green Features: Green Hotel: If you decided not to change your towels they will give you a credit.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear DYocco,

I'm so happy that you fell in love with The Grand! Thank you for this lovely review! It's so heartwarming that our staff helped to make your anniversary so special. They always jump at the opportunity to make a connection and enhance our guests experience. I hope that you'll visit us again for future anniversary celebrations. Thank you for taking the time to write about us!

Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The check-in process was not as easy as some hotels, but certainly not bad. The rooms were clean. Ours was cramped and was not a good option to sit and read, but there was great seating in the lobby, so it did not really matter. They have a terrific excercise area, so if that is important, this is a great hotel in a great location. The fan in the room was quite loud - it did not work for white noise. You can, however, turn it off completely.

Room Tip: There are inside rooms that look out onto a closed area. These rooms are dark, but probably quieter...
Green Features: Lighting in the bathroom is not conducive to applying makeup. Not enough light.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Youneke,

Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to write about your experience. I'm sorry that your guest room felt a bit cramped. Most of our rooms are very spacious, but there are a handful of queen deluxe type rooms that are a bit smaller than most. Please always feel free to contact us prior to arrival to request a larger room. If available, we are always eager to honor requests.

Thank you for mentioning the cleanliness of the rooms! It is so important and our housekeeping team takes so much pride in their work. I hope you'll come visit us again next time you are in Minnie!

colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My boyfriend and I stayed two weekends in a row, before and after a surgery. The room was fantastic and we enjoyed the Six15 Room happy hour and the salmon in Rare. The best perk is the staff. Always very kind and most helpful. The gym is fantastic. The second stay was on our way home from surgery at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. My boyfriend contracted a very high fever the first night and at 4:30 am called down to the front desk to get a car to drive us to the hospital ER. Four hours later they picked us up and had already serviced the room. It was 9 am and I asked if they had any soup, they did not as breakfast was being served. Voila! Within 20 minutes there was a knock at the door and Charles in room service sent up a delicious bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup. Such kind actions! Thanks Grand Hotel!

Room Tip: Upper floor
Green Features: Ceramic coffee cups at morning coffee bar are an excellent idea.
Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear sallyColorado,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Thank you for the kind comments about our team! I am lucky to have such a caring and attentive people representing The Grand. I'm sure that it was a stressful trip, so I am so glad that you felt well taken care of by the staff. I hope that you can be our guest again under different circumstances. We'd love to see you again. Thank you!

Hayden Lingerfelt

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!