“why would you NOT stay here? treat yourself to an EVENT, a HAPPENING, a TREAT.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

There are places where the rooms are nice, the drinks are great, and the staff is mediocre or snooty. There are places where the situation is exactly reversed. Then there is the Grand Hotel Minneapolis. sigh. makes me want to go back right now. I know, you are thinking, Minneapolis? in the winter? are you crazed? no. it's the sheets, the bathrooms, the staff, the food, the SERVICE, the warmth both of staff who help you without being asked AND the decor. the fireplace in the lobby. the laughter of patrons. spacious, charming, crystal clean, worth the money, and not that much. here's the thing. in the lobby? at the back? coffee, decaf, hot tea, and HOT CHOCOLATE. with chocolate chips to stir in AND MARSHMALLOWS. for FREE. i love this place. it is right downtown, valet parking, heated pool, all the amenities, and did I mention the staff? loved them. made us feel so welcome, and that, my friends, coming from the hospitable South? is saying something. also, right around the corner from the HEN HOUSE. breakfast on stools with stout.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Turkish first
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is smack dab right in the middle of downtown. There is also a light rail station two blocks away if you need to take for the Airport, Gopher Stadium, or Mall of America.

The hotel itself is beautiful and well kept. It is a Kimpton Hotel and keeps the same quirky theme as other Kimptoms. There is a wine reception nightly in the lounge. The room was very clean and with a great view of downtown. There are some fun nightlight spots and restaurants within walking distance.

The only negative experience we had was with room service. While the service was excellent, the food was not very good. I would not recommend it.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The suite was lovely overall. Nice sized living room area with a seating area with a TV, bar area, & a big closet.
The bedroom was accessed from the living room by a small opening between the 2 rooms, with the bathroom off the bedroom. Lovely oversized bathroom with a tub/shower, storage cabinet.
The only closet was in the living room so that was a bit awkward and the extra toilet paper was stored in that closet! Tip to hotel...can't you store the toilet paper in the storage cabinet in the bathroom where it's needed? The extra pillow & blanket stored in the closet was nice at nap time!

• Stayed December 2014
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed for five nights and was very impressed. This is a boutique hotel with lots of character and local flavor. Although the price was a little higher than other hotels it was a great value. The hotel includes a full gym membership, a nice happy hour with non-alcoholic choices, great coffee and hot chocolate in the morning, is on the skyway so you don't have to go outside, offers a lounge coupon for every day you opt out of housekeeping, and has a upscale restaurant with great happy hour sushi specials. I would definitely stay here again. Great value!

Wausau, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here for business for two nights and had a wonderful stay. Check-in was a breeze and my room was very spacious. For whatever reason, I was given an ADA room so it was HUGE. One drawback was I had no view at all but this did cut down on street noise so for that I was happy. The bed was so comfy and I slept great both nights. For breakfast we headed to Rare Steak & Sushi located on the second floor of the hotel. This was probably our most unpleasant experience though for both times we ate there for breakfast we had terrible service. The best perk about staying at a Kimpton Hotel is their rewards program. I stayed at the hotel one day before my birthday and at Kimpton, they offer a "birthday treat" if you stay during your birthday month. However, upon check-in, I was informed that because I booked before my birthday I would not be eligible for the treat. This didn't bother me so I just went on my way. On my second night however, I returned to my room to find a bottle of champagne with a Birthday card from the staff! IT was such a nice surprise to come "home" to after a long day of work. Kimpton Hotels always go above & beyond and this hotel was no exception. Will definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for one away from 2nd Ave as street noise can be bothersome.
Green Features: AWESOME! You get a $5/night voucher to use in the hotel restaurant for each day you decline housekeeping.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear AlwaysOnTheGo,

I'm so glad that you had a wonderful stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to write about it. From your description, I conclude that you stayed in one of our atrium ADA rooms. As you mentioned, they do lack a view, but they are super quiet and great for a good night's sleep. I am terribly sorry about your experience at Rare. They are actually owned and operated by Lifetime Fitness, the gym in the hotel. I urge you to contact me at the hotel so that I can put you in touch with their management team to discuss your experience and reimbursement. I apologize about the confusion with the birthday treat. It's strange that we would have told you you weren't eligible. I'll follow-up on that. I'm relieved that we ended up sending you some bubbly! Thank you for mentioning the Karma rewards program. It is free to join and there are an array of perks! Thanks again for staying with us and sharing your experience!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

A HUGE thank you to Brianna Hansen, Brandon Naylor, Paolo Calayag and Geoff Roether for making my parents stay the best one yet! I travel with them every December for the annual shopping trip, but was not able to make it this year. Last year we had a blast at The Grand and this year I got so many updates every day about how awesome the service was, how OUTSTANDING the welcome amenities were, how full the wine hours were and the people they met during the wine hours. I am so glad that so all the staff at The Grand make a huge difference for all travelers that stay in Minneapolis. There isn't a chance that we would ever stay elsewhere and it is because of the incredible service and friendliness that each and every person on duty at The Grand exudes! Thanks again for another awesome stay!!!

Dear ChicagoCody,

Wow, what a terrific review! I have a huge smile on my face. Truly heartwarming! Thank you so much for the kind words about Brianna, Brandon, Paolo and Geoff. I am so fortunate to have such amazing people representing The Grand. I assure you that they will be rewarded. I am so delighted that your folks enjoyed their time with us. Hopefully you can accompany them on their Minnie trip next December. Thank you so much for taking the time to share their experience!

Rochester, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed one night on the 15th floor of this nice hotel. 30th Anniversary! Staff was friendly at the door and a little aloof at the check in. Parking was across the street which was found to be linked underground but you would have to be a mole to know it ahead of time. Room was safe, as access was key entry. Bed was nice and was high class Kimpton style.Shower lovely. Toilet separate. Bath funny with an old tv tucked in the wall for viewing. We noticed that the bedroom windows viewed one another and that unless ALL curtains were pulled you had no real privacy. Wifi seemed complicated so we used our 4g. We traveled indoors to the theater many blocks away via the skyway. Very difficult if you were new to city or if you were in a wheelchair. But warm. When we returned to the hotel after the evening show we had to travel outdoors. It was ccccold. (A blizzard was on its way.) To our chagrin, the warm drinks in the menu of the open hotel bar were not being served "until after Thanksgiving." Yo Yo Yo! This is MN.

Room Tip: I am not aware of how to do this
Green Features: oh, they give you options on towels and such. This is MN guy, we all recycle here.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Robin M,

Happy belated 30th Anniversary! I appreciate you choosing The Grand for your celebration stay. I'm delighted that you found the bed to be comfy and luxurious. Based on your description, I suspect that you stayed in one of our interior rooms that have windows facing the atrium. I apologize that you felt it lacked privacy. I suggest booking an exterior premier room when you stay with us again. They're more private. However, the atrium rooms are very quiet. There is a parking garage across the street that can be accessed by tunnel or skyway, but we offer convenient valet parking. We are not affiliated with the garage across the street. I agree that the skyway can be a bit confusing. The front desk has skyway maps and are always happy to direct guests. We even offer what we call The Skyway Rescue Service, which means you can call the front desk when lost in the skyway and we'll send someone to rescue you! Thanks again for staying with us and taking the time to write about your experience!

Hayden Lingerfelt

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!