“An anniversary delight!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
“An anniversary delight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

The staff of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis went above and beyond in making our 25th anniversary extra special. From a magnificent room upgrade to wine and cheese, this hotel made our night amazing. Everyone we came in contact at the hotel really went the extra mile for us. Beautiful lobby, rooms and people! Thanks for making our anniversary special.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Ann H,

Happy belated 25th Anniversary!! Thank you for choosing The Grand for your celebration. I'm so happy that our lovely staff made you feel pampered. I appreciate you sharing your experience and hope to see you again next year to celebrate your 26th!

Hayden Lingerfelt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Turkish first
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I stayed here for one night and I found the experience great. The staff were friendly and the restaurant/bar on the first level is nice as well. My only grouse with this place was that they didn't have the default Airport transfers many other hotels in the Downtown area provide.

Room Tip: Try getting rooms above the 7th floor. That's where you get the best view of Minneapolis downtow...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear itsmeritesh,

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us! Thank you for taking the time to write about it. I appreciate you spending some time with our fantastic bar staff in The SIX15 Room. They make some tasty craft cocktails and the inviting atmosphere is worth mentioning too! We indeed do not have a shuttle to/from the airport, but if you call the hotel we are always happy to schedule a town car to transport you. Thanks again for this lovely review! I hope you'll be back.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

My husband and I decided to head downtown for our anniversary and booked a room at The Grand Hotel for one night. We had researched hotels on the internet and this one seemed to fit the bill of "more romantic than business oriented".

This hotel is able to check off a lot of categories:

clean - check
good service - check
lobby ambience - check
good downtown location - check

Where it failed was in areas that are hard to define. For example, the bar is tiny and the night we were there the bartender seemed overwhelmed and undertrained - the drinks were sloppy. Not sloppy enough to send them back, but not worth the price either. The bar was crowded in a very uncomfortable way. We sat at the bar, fortunately, because people at the tables had to wait a long time for service. So much so that some patrons came up to the bar to pay because they got tired of waiting for their bill.

It also had no place for breakfast. We knew this going in, it was no secret. But we never realized what an inconvenience that would be until the next morning when we would have given anything for an elevator ride down to breakfast for a sit down coffee, paper, and a bite to eat. But what we failed to foresee was that there was no place close by to get a good breakfast. We ended up going across the street to some kind of business lobby where there was basically a food court along with its food court like atmosphere. Totally killed the ambience.

We were expecting it to be along the lines of The Driskill Hotel in Austin or The Arctic Club in Seattle; it failed on both accounts.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Pilar C,

I appreciate you taking the time to write about your stay with us. I'm disappointed that you were dissatisfied. I assure you that your experience at the bar is not typical. I don't know what day of the week you stayed with us, but we usually staff two bartenders with the exception of some Sunday and Monday nights, which are traditionally slower. I'm sorry that the bartender was overwhelmed and service was compromised. In regards to serving breakfast, we do actually have a restaurant on the second floor called Rare that serves breakfast every day starting at 7:00am. Please feel free to contact me if you'd like to discuss your experience. I appreciate the feedback.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

The rooms in this hotel are nicely sized and the bathroom has a separate shower and tub. The closet was quite large and contained a safe and bathrobes to use.

This is a solidly constructed older building so I had no noise issues from other rooms or the hallways. There is of course, some city noise from the streets below, but certainly within reason.

There is a great fitness center here and that alone can make it worthwhile to stay here, but my favorite thing is the extremely comfortable bed. It's always very nice to find a hotel that knows how to make a bed properly and uses quality sheets and bedding.

I will certainly return for another stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear MNSQ575,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! I'm glad that you were happy with the accommodations. Thank you for commenting on our comfy beds! A good night's sleep can be hard to come by when traveling. I will share your feedback about making the bed properly with our housekeeping team. They take so much pride in their work and will appreciate your comments. Thanks so much and come see us again!

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I booked this hotel at my client's recommendation. I stayed 4 nights and my room charges were paid in advance, which was around $1,200. I arrived at the hotel (11:30 PM) very late due to flight delays. First issue - head's up to debit card users - upon arriving I presented my debit card for incidentals, surprisingly the hotel required $70 per day up front ($300 total.) I do not carry a large balance on my card and so instead of just charging me for one day (like most hotels do) I had to transfer money or I would have not had continued access to my room. Second issue, as I mentioned I got in late and had not eaten dinner but I was told the bar / café was open till 1:00 AM. After finally getting into my room and came back down at 12:00 I could not get any food as the bartender was closing early because "it was slow". There were 5 other customers in the bar! Third issue - yes there is room service available 24 hours and I was starving in the morning so ordered breakfast. My coffee was left off the order. Fourth issue - my room card was deactivated before I checked out so could not get back into my room in the morning after getting coffee. Had to go back downstairs and wait in line to reactivate my card. I had to show my ID to do so.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Susan C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We do indeed take an authorization of $75 per night for potential incidental charges. All hotels do this. It is necessary because there are so many charges that we allow to be billed to the room for convenience, such as restaurant, bar, spa, in-room dining, honor bar, etc. I apologize for the inconvenience of the bar closing early and I assure you that it's been addressed with all bar staff. They are supposed to remain open until our posted closing time. I'm sorry that our in-room dining attendant made a mistake and forgot your coffee. Please let me know if you were charged for it and I will of course reimburse you. I apologize for the inconvenience with your key card. For our guests safety, it is crucial that we ask to see ID. We certainly wouldn't want to issue a key to anyone that isn't registered on the reservation. Please feel free to contact me if you'd like to discuss your experience. Thank you.

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I travel to Minneapolis on a regular basis and, if a room is available, I stay here. The bar has great cocktails (and card games), the rooms are big and uniquely decorated (I always hope for a room with a stump). Easy skywalk access and free wifi make this a no-brainer.

Room Tip: If you get a stump in your room, you win.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear bsmacdonald,

Thank you for making The Grand your home away from home when you're in Minneapolis! I am so grateful for your loyalty! I'm glad that you are a fan of our bar, The SIX15 Room. Our engaging bartenders, delicious cocktails and food and unique decor make it such a fun place to hang out. Thanks for mentioning the stumps near the chairs in the guest rooms. I love them too! Our design team did a phenomenal job selecting some really attractive and unusual pieces. Thank you for writing about us. I'd love to meet you next time you're in town!

Elmhurst, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Very comfortable stay - felt like I was at home - only better - I didn't have to clean! Staff was great and the Lifetime Fitness access, valet service, and the restaurant for dinner - Rare - were all fantastic. We visited Rare (see my Rare review) twice during our 4 night stay. Never had breakfast there so can't comment.

Although this has absolutely nothing to do with The Grand - be certain to visit the food trucks - they are simply amazing. Get Sauced had the best pulled pork with award winning BBQ sauce. The cupcake truck about two blocks away was great. The Moral Omnivore had hands down the best "Beef Wellington Sliders" imaginable. I'd suggest hitting the trucks as close to 11 as possible as many are running out of food (because it's so darn good) by 12:30-1:00.

Room Tip: Not sure about other rooms, but ours was on the 8th floor and access to any rooms on 8 or above requ...
Green Features: Environmentally friendly reminders all around - options for declining room cleaning with a $5 credit and the usual towel/bedding environmentally friendly options.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear seaotter301,

I am so pleased that you felt at home at The Grand! That is always our goal. Thank you for the fantastic comments about the service, Lifetime and Rare. We are so lucky to have such an amazing athletic club in the hotel for our guests use! You are so right about the food trucks. I recommend Vellee Deli in addition to the others you mentioned. Thank you for taking the time to write about us. We'll see you next time you're in Minnie!

Hayden Lingerfelt

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!