“Awesome hotel in the Kimpton family” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Awesome hotel in the Kimpton family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

This is one of my favorite Kimpton properties. The rooms are spacious, the location is convenient and the gym/health club in the lower level is better than any other hotel gym I have been to. It is definitely worth staying here when you find yourself traveling to Minneapolis!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear John R,

I just love that The Grand is one of your favorite Kimpton properties! That is quite the compliment since we have such an amazing collection of hotels. Wow, thank you! Our rooms are unusually large for a downtown hotel and we are so fortunate to have Lifetime Fitness on property. I agree that it has to be the best hotel fitness facility I've seen. Thanks so much for your fantastic comments and your loyalty to Kimpton Hotels!

Hayden Lingerfelt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Booked this hotel for my birthday weekend and the Bears vs. Vikings football game. I emailed Hayden, the General Manager, and requested a specific room upgrade. She was incredibly nice and pre-booked my upgraded room, which was a corner Premier King room on a high floor.

This was my first Kimpton hotel stay, and I'm currently an Inner Circle member in their loyalty program. I must say that this hotel really spoiled me. Service was top notch, room was clean, bathroom was spacious and perks were awesome. As an Inner Circle member, you get to list your favorite drink, sweet treat, snack and other favorites on the Kimpton website. I put down SmartWater, Ferrero Rocher and cute kittens. So what did they give me? SmartWater, Ferrero Rocher, a handwritten card filled with cute kitten pictures, chips, Snickers, nuts, popcorn, M&M's and a granola-like crispy bar. I could have fainted from happiness.

Even if you are not an Inner Circle, you can join their free loyalty program to become an InTouch member to get awesome perks, such as complimentary WiFi, $10 credit for the in-room mini-bar and $30 in-room spa credit. This hotel also offers complimentary access to the Life Time gym and evening wine reception starting at 5:00 p.m.

I came during the winter, so it was snowing and freezing outside. This hotel is connected to the downtown Minneapolis Skyway system, which is a network of enclosed walkways that connects buildings throughout downtown. I decided to use the Skyway to avoid the cold but ended up getting lost. If you're an out-of-town visitor with little sense of direction like me, I would not recommend using this Skyway system. It's very, very confusing and much easier and faster to just walk outside. Plus, the businesses inside the Skyway seem to only come to life during the weekdays.

If you visit Minneapolis or live there and just want a weekend getaway, I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Corner room on a high floor is the way to go.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BigOreo,

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and were happy with the room I chose for you! In my opinion, it is one of the best rooms in the hotel. I appreciate the mention of the fun amenity we sent. Our Kimpton In Touch Champion, Christie put it together. She comes up with some of the cutest, most thoughtful things to send guests. I shared your kind comments with her. Thank you for writing about the Kimpton In Touch program. Anyone that stays at Kimpton Hotels needs to sign up. It's free to join and in addition to the free wifi and Raid the Bar credit, you get to select your room preferences, which I assure you we pay attention to. The skyway can indeed be confusing if you aren't familiar with it. Our front desk team sometimes refers to themselves as the "Skyway Rescue Team". Guests lost in the skyway can call us and we'll come find them and lead them back to the hotel. We actually have Skyway Rescue Team t-shirts. Too funny! Thank you so much for this stellar review and let me know when you'll be in Minneapolis next. I'd love to meet you in person!

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Two phones and one TV not working in room. Staff unable to fix either and front desk staff provided us with a very condescending attitude of, "nothing we can do, have a good night!" I can get that can of service and response at a $50 a night motel. Expected better at this hotel, particularly as I am frequent user. Staff needs training in communications, room service needs to work at better preparing rooms for customers.

Room Tip: If your looking for service this hotel fall short
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear Randy S,

I believe that you've already spoken with our assistant general manager, but please contact me at the hotel at your convenience. The phone number is 612-288-8888.

Ellendale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We spent a weekend in Minneapolis & stayed at the Grand for a couple days. I love being downtown and we absolutely loved the decor of the hotel. The fitness center was nice (huge & confusing too) but the staff was super helpful.
The only drawback for me was that our room didn't have a window looking outside - just looked at a brick wall. Other than that I can't say anything bad about our stay. I used an app called Hotel Tonight & got an awesome rate. If you use my promo code: APHOENIX you can also get $25 off your first booking.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear eekle,

I'm so glad that you had a wonderful weekend with us! Thank you for the comments about the hotel's decor, convenient downtown location and the amazing Lifetime fitness! It is by far the best hotel fitness facility I've come across. Sorry it was a bit confusing to navigate around. I'm pleased that the staff assisted you. Based on your description of the room you stayed in, I suspect you booked one of our Atrium King rooms. While they tend to be very quiet rooms, they are on the interior of the building, so they don't receive the natural light that the exterior rooms do. Next time you book with us, I suggest selecting the King Premier room type. Please feel free to call us before you arrive and request a room that meets your preferences. We are always happy to accommodate special requests! Thanks so much for this fantastic feedback!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

The Grand hotel and staff gave us a top notch experience! I stayed here with some friends for a girls night and we enjoyed our time so much. There was a wine social hour which was awesome and allowed us to mingle in the fancy lobby/check-in/bar area. There is no shortage of hospitable, friendly staff who truly made us feel special and important. The rooms are beautiful and came with yoga mats, which we used. The feel of the hotel was fancy and modern, yet I didn't feel like I didn't belong there or fit in. We loved it and would highly recommend!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Erica D,

I'm so glad that you and the girls enjoyed your evening with us! Thank you for mentioning our friendly staff. They love connecting with our guests and making them feel welcome, comfortable and pampered. The yoga mats in the rooms are so much fun! We actually have a yoga channel, so you can do yoga in the comfort of your room. If you're looking to do another girls night out, we have a package called Grand Girls Getaway that includes discounted rates, spa credits and pink champagne delivered to the room. We'd love to have you back! I appreciate this awesome review!

Chanhassen, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I loved the lobby social hour when you came in, it was such a treat! The staff is amazing and very helpful. The rooms are awesome, and everything was just beautiful. I would recommend to anyone! I loved the colors and the feel of the hotel. The rooms were just that right touch of modern and comfortable. Although we didn't use it, we tour the gym that was completed and it was amazing! Made me wish I was staying longer.

Green Features: All the staff was very friendly! Felt like I could ask anyone for anything.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kimberly S,

Thank you for this lovely review! I'm glad you made it to our nightly wine reception. It's a pretty nice perk of Kimpton Hotels. I'm pleased that you loved the ambiance and decor. We hired the most talented design team when we did a complete renovation. They did an amazing job preserving the classic and historic feel while incorporating the modern and colorful Kimpton flair. I hope you had time to check out our lounge, The SIX15 Room. The design in there is so much fun! Thanks so much for staying with us! Come see us again, stay a little longer and take advantage of the impressive Lifetime Gym!

Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for her birthday this past weekend. Although we did not get the champagne and chocolates everyone raves about, I am still giving this hotel a High Five. This review will be long, but you need to read it. I tend to be often disappointed, but this hotel WOWED me.

My wife and I travel all over the country and all over the world, and we can not say enough about the QUALITY of this hotel. Location, amenities, staff, rooms, restaurants, it is all tremendous.

Life Spa- AMAZING!! I booked a 2 1/2 hour package for my wife. We were 1/2 hour late due to weather. The pedicure tech waited anyway...even though her daughter had to be there because school had been canceled and she had to be at work with her! Who does that? And not only did my wife get her full treatment....they EXTENDED it 1/2 hour. She LOVED the quality and attention shown by the pedicure, nail and massage techs and was so relaxed she could hardly believe it. But wait. When I came to pay my wife's bill while her massage was being finished, the gentleman taking care of me (his name is Michael, but he goes by BAL) asked what we were doing for the evening. I explained that we wanted to go to a nice restaurant for dinner. He became my private consierge, and within minutes had booked a table at an amazing Mexican restaurant for us. He also gave me a VIP tour of the health club facilities, and actually offered to walk us to our restaurant if we wanted. This sort of service is mind boggling and seen nowhere...other than the Grand Hotel I guess. Oh, and by the way...I researched the spas rated above Life Spa in the YELP ratings....they charge less on average for their services. If this could get a sixth star, I would give it.

Rooms- Ridiculous. We paid $116.00 per night for a King room. Plush robes. Bathroom with separate soaking tub and floor to ceiling shower.Television above the tub. Crazy comfortable bed. BIG room. Fine linens and Mahogany (real or faux :) everywhere!

Amenities- You get FULL access to a country club quality fitness center. Sauna (steam and dry), workout facilities, classes, full basketball court, racquetball courts, Olympic sized lap pool, you name it. As part of your stay!!

Restaurants- We ate at Rare and had a tremendous meal. Two drinks each (four total), a sashimi appetizer, a filet with two sides,a bison steak with two sides. $94.00 Very reasonable for the quality and portions. I will admit that the food and price saved the day here, because the service was quite poor. The food was superb.

Parking is $32.00 per night. So don't pay it. There is all kinds of parking around this hotel. The staff are very friendly, and the free wine hour is lovely. The doormen try so hard. This is the toughest job. Nobody wants to let them help because they don't want to have to tip. Sucks. But these doormen have a great spirit and do their job. I carried my own bags and still gave the guy $5.00 he was so nice!! :)

In short, if you put this hotel anywhere in the world, I would stay in it. Thanks for making my wife's birthday amazing.

Room Tip: We were on floor six. Rooms on floors seven and above needed a room key for the elevator. Maybe try...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear molelinkluck,

I can't thank you enough for this awesome review! I'm so thrilled that we wowed you! Happy belated birthday to your wife! I've shared your comments about the spa, gym and restaurant with the folks at Lifespa, Lifetime and Rare. We are so fortunate to have such top notch facilities in the hotel. I love that you took advantage and enjoyed. I really appreciate your kind words about our doormen. They are such amazing representatives of the hotel and it just wouldn't be the same without them. One of our doormen has worked in the building for nearly fifty years! Now that's dedication! Thanks so much for this fantastic write-up. I'd love to meet you when you stay with us again. Maybe you'll return for your birthday!

Hayden Lingerfelt

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!