“Wonderful Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mobile, Alabama, United States
“Wonderful Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I was very impressed with this hotel. The rooms are beautiful and if you join the Kimpton rewards program you instantly get free wifi and a $10 credit to use with the self serve mini bar. The hotel is located in a convenient area downtown and easily accessible tot he overhead crosswalks. I loved the huge tub with the TV and the king sized bed.

Green Features: The hotel will give you instant credit if you refuse housekeeping each day and re-use towels.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Melissa C: I'm so pleased that you had a wonderful stay! Thank you for mentioning our loyalty program, Kimpton In Touch. In addition to the benefits of free wifi and voucher towards the mini bar, members now have the choice to use the voucher for a cocktail in the bar. We have some amazing bartenders that can whip up some of the most delicious craft cocktails I've ever tasted! I'm so glad you had a chance to use the relaxing soaking tub. Thanks so much for taking the time to write about us. I trust we'll see you again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I absolutely loved this hotel! The staff was very friendly.

Many celebs were hanging around.

The bathroom actually had a tub with a TV, along with a separate, large glassed shower, great towels, very nice bathrobes too. (Large bathroom.)
The hotel ties into the mall, wine tasting everyday at 5:00, fantastic workout area! We even played racquetball!!

The linens were A+. The bed was very comfortable.. Great stay!

Stayed November 2013
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Sue C: Thanks a bunch for this gleaming review!! I'm so glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience at The Grand. Many of our rooms have the impressive upgraded bathrooms with the tubs and TVs. It's so nice to take a soak and watch your favorite show. We offer the luxurious C.O. Bigelow bath/shower gel in each room which works great as bubble bath! Thanks for visiting us at our nightly wine hour. We enjoy hosting it because we get the opportunity to visit with our guests and see how we can enhance their experience. Thanks so much for this A+ review! See you next time.
Bloomington, Minnesota, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed at the Grand for a special weekend getaway. They do a great job. We liked the style of our room and we enjoyed our stay. Something's to be aware of:
Pros-
Convenient to all DT Mpls bars, restaurants, venues.
Great staff
Nice bar-6-1-5
Great gym, pool, and spa
Town car service
On site sushi place called Rare.

Cons-
Poor pillows considering price point
Loose sink handle, no bathroom exhaust fan
No access to skyways from the hotel
Parking overnight $32

We don't want the "Cons" to deter anyone. This place is stylish and chic. You get a full level of amenities. We would come back!

Thanks to the staff for sending us champagne for our STAYCATION!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear DSWeimar: Thank you for choosing us for your special weekend getaway! I appreciate you taking the time to write about us. Thanks for mentioning all of the amenities we have to offer. It's great that you had time to visit the gym, Rare, and The Six15 Room. I hope you enjoyed some yummy snacks and delicious craft cocktails! Just to clarify, the hotel is actually connected to the city's skyway. There is an entrance directly to the left of the elevator banks. You can get to pretty much any downtown location without ever going outside. Also, please note that we offer both foam and feather pillows and you are welcome to request your preference. Just let us know and we'll take care of it. Thanks again for choosing us for your staycation. Please come see us again when you have an excuse for another getaway!
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed originally at The Grand well over a year ago and have been back half a dozen times or more since then. It's so convenient to work when I'm in town that no place else can even compare. The staff is always helpful and great... particularly if I need to move more than one building away in the skyway - they always help me figure out how I move through there. I've never used the gym facilities, but I've peaked inside and it's amazing! If you're a sometimes gym person (guilty here) or a hard core every day one, the facilities here should be just what you need. The rooms vary in size and layout. On my most recent trip, I was in 901. It was the best so far. I only had one wish and that would have been to have a king bed rather than two beds, but since it was just me, it was all good. I love Kimptons and stay at them whenever I can when I travel. The Grand is certainly one of the best and I highly recommend it for your stay in the Twin Cities!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear xerk: Thank you for your loyalty to The Grand! I'm so glad that you found us and we are a perfect fit for your needs. We recently started referring to our front desk team as "The Skyway Rescue Team". We added hotline number to the skyway maps we provide so that guests can call us for skyway directions and we will guide you over the phone. We just thought it was a cute idea! I'm so pleased that you find the staff helpful and accommodations comfortable. Thank you for always choosing The Grand when you are in Minneapolis. We appreciate you!
Winona, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The room was very nice, clean, and big. The bathroom was very big and elegant. Room service for ordering food, was very fast, and they give you alot of food. Beware of the snacks, and beverages in the room, they are not complimentary. The chairs in the room are usable, but not very comfy.

The people at the front desk, tried to be helpful, but when asked about entertainment in the area, appeared not to know too much. When I cheked in, the clerk, said I had to either pay for valet, or park in a ramp and pay. I said, you cannot give me a voucher to park, he proceeded to complain to me about having to pay for his own parking for working there.

If your looking to use the spa there, I would suggest making your appointment a couple days in advance. I could not get everything done, that I wanted to, because they were all booked up.

Room Tip: The atrium King room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Karen F: I'm so glad that you found all aspects of the room pleasing! Our rooms and bathrooms are incredibly spacious, especially for a downtown hotel. We have a stellar housekeeping team that takes great pride in their work. I too wish that we were able to offer complimentary parking, but it is just not an option in downtown Minneapolis. We do not have our own parking garage and renting parking spaces in the city is incredibly expensive. Our parking rates are in line with all other Minneapolis hotels. Thank you for the note about booking spa appointments in advance. Lifespa is on the smaller side and they have a great reputation, so it is a good idea to call ahead. Thanks again and I hope you'll be back next time you're in the city!
Hilliard, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I love stately old hotels and this place was all that. We were fortunate enough to get a corner room on the top floor affording us of a great downtown view! The rooms had a few flaws and was HUGE but the bed was awesome, room service food very good. 2 areas for concern. 1-my husband struggles with steps and wears oxygen. To reach the top floor requires you to leave the elevator and climb about 8 steps to reach the top. That wasn't expected. Also, sticker shock for parking. A $32 a night parking garage across the street and valet. I was informed of that on checkout. I think there may have been a couple options but I wasnt aware of them.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear pizzagirl542: Thank you for commenting on the historic charm of The Grand! The building is almost 100 years old and used to be the Minneapolis Athletic Club. When we took over ownership a few years ago, we did a complete renovation. The designers did an amazing job! I agree that the beds are super comfy. We replaced the mattresses with the renovation, but kept the beautiful dark wood headboards and footboards. In fact, they are the one item in the rooms that weren't replaced. They represent the masculinity of the old Minneapolis Athletic Club. Sorry about the inconvenience with the stairs on the 15th floor. It is the only floor with stairs. When you return, just let the front desk agent know that you do not want to be on the 15th floor. We are always happy to accommodate our guests preferences and needs! I know the price for parking seems spendy, but I assure you that the fee is in line with all other downtown hotels. Thanks again for this lovely review!
denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed at the Grand for 3 nights. We upgraded to a suite which while not the largest suite we have ever had, was more than adequate. We enjoyed the hotel and the location in the heart of downtown. We loved that they served complimentary coffee in the lobby until 9 am (most hotels remove free coffee much earlier) and free wine between 5-6 pm. Both nice touches. Although the hotel has dark paneling and feels a bit dark, the furniture and decor are updated and stylish. One of the best features is the fantastic health club that is in the hotel. It is also free for guests and has awesome equipment and a fabulous fitness class I took on Saturday morning. We left early Sunday morning and they put free coffee outside our room and left the Sunday NY Times. Only negative as mentioned by other reviewers is the soap, shampoo wall dispensers. I know this is PC but we prefer soap bars and small containers of shampoos, etc. Minneapolis is a delightful city and the Grand Hotel made it even more enjoyable!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JWRDenver: Thanks so much for the fantastic review! I'm so glad that you enjoyed Minneapolis and The Grand. Thanks for mentioning our convenient location. We are also connected to the city's skyway, so you can get around the entire city in the winter without stepping foot outside in the chilly temperatures. It is so nice that you had a chance to take advantage of Lifetime Fitness. It's such an excellent perk for our guests. We use the bathroom amenity dispensers due to our dedication to the environment. They significantly reduce the amount of waste because we are not discarding partially used small bottles. However, I understand that it is a matter of preference. Thanks again for writing about us! We hope to see you again next time you're in town!

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!