“Relax...they got it. ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Offers & Announcements
2014 FREE Valet Parking
Ranked #3 of 48 hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bloomington, Minnesota, Usa
“Relax...they got it. ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed at the Grand for a special weekend getaway. They do a great job. We liked the style of our room and we enjoyed our stay. Something's to be aware of:
Pros-
Convenient to all DT Mpls bars, restaurants, venues.
Great staff
Nice bar-6-1-5
Great gym, pool, and spa
Town car service
On site sushi place called Rare.

Cons-
Poor pillows considering price point
Loose sink handle, no bathroom exhaust fan
No access to skyways from the hotel
Parking overnight $32

We don't want the "Cons" to deter anyone. This place is stylish and chic. You get a full level of amenities. We would come back!

Thanks to the staff for sending us champagne for our STAYCATION!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear DSWeimar: Thank you for choosing us for your special weekend getaway! I appreciate you taking the time to write about us. Thanks for mentioning all of the amenities we have to offer. It's great that you had time to visit the gym, Rare, and The Six15 Room. I hope you enjoyed some yummy snacks and delicious craft cocktails! Just to clarify, the hotel is actually connected to the city's skyway. There is an entrance directly to the left of the elevator banks. You can get to pretty much any downtown location without ever going outside. Also, please note that we offer both foam and feather pillows and you are welcome to request your preference. Just let us know and we'll take care of it. Thanks again for choosing us for your staycation. Please come see us again when you have an excuse for another getaway!

487 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed originally at The Grand well over a year ago and have been back half a dozen times or more since then. It's so convenient to work when I'm in town that no place else can even compare. The staff is always helpful and great... particularly if I need to move more than one building away in the skyway - they always help me figure out how I move through there. I've never used the gym facilities, but I've peaked inside and it's amazing! If you're a sometimes gym person (guilty here) or a hard core every day one, the facilities here should be just what you need. The rooms vary in size and layout. On my most recent trip, I was in 901. It was the best so far. I only had one wish and that would have been to have a king bed rather than two beds, but since it was just me, it was all good. I love Kimptons and stay at them whenever I can when I travel. The Grand is certainly one of the best and I highly recommend it for your stay in the Twin Cities!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear xerk: Thank you for your loyalty to The Grand! I'm so glad that you found us and we are a perfect fit for your needs. We recently started referring to our front desk team as "The Skyway Rescue Team". We added hotline number to the skyway maps we provide so that guests can call us for skyway directions and we will guide you over the phone. We just thought it was a cute idea! I'm so pleased that you find the staff helpful and accommodations comfortable. Thank you for always choosing The Grand when you are in Minneapolis. We appreciate you!
Winona, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The room was very nice, clean, and big. The bathroom was very big and elegant. Room service for ordering food, was very fast, and they give you alot of food. Beware of the snacks, and beverages in the room, they are not complimentary. The chairs in the room are usable, but not very comfy.

The people at the front desk, tried to be helpful, but when asked about entertainment in the area, appeared not to know too much. When I cheked in, the clerk, said I had to either pay for valet, or park in a ramp and pay. I said, you cannot give me a voucher to park, he proceeded to complain to me about having to pay for his own parking for working there.

If your looking to use the spa there, I would suggest making your appointment a couple days in advance. I could not get everything done, that I wanted to, because they were all booked up.

Room Tip: The atrium King room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Karen F: I'm so glad that you found all aspects of the room pleasing! Our rooms and bathrooms are incredibly spacious, especially for a downtown hotel. We have a stellar housekeeping team that takes great pride in their work. I too wish that we were able to offer complimentary parking, but it is just not an option in downtown Minneapolis. We do not have our own parking garage and renting parking spaces in the city is incredibly expensive. Our parking rates are in line with all other Minneapolis hotels. Thank you for the note about booking spa appointments in advance. Lifespa is on the smaller side and they have a great reputation, so it is a good idea to call ahead. Thanks again and I hope you'll be back next time you're in the city!
Hilliard, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I love stately old hotels and this place was all that. We were fortunate enough to get a corner room on the top floor affording us of a great downtown view! The rooms had a few flaws and was HUGE but the bed was awesome, room service food very good. 2 areas for concern. 1-my husband struggles with steps and wears oxygen. To reach the top floor requires you to leave the elevator and climb about 8 steps to reach the top. That wasn't expected. Also, sticker shock for parking. A $32 a night parking garage across the street and valet. I was informed of that on checkout. I think there may have been a couple options but I wasnt aware of them.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear pizzagirl542: Thank you for commenting on the historic charm of The Grand! The building is almost 100 years old and used to be the Minneapolis Athletic Club. When we took over ownership a few years ago, we did a complete renovation. The designers did an amazing job! I agree that the beds are super comfy. We replaced the mattresses with the renovation, but kept the beautiful dark wood headboards and footboards. In fact, they are the one item in the rooms that weren't replaced. They represent the masculinity of the old Minneapolis Athletic Club. Sorry about the inconvenience with the stairs on the 15th floor. It is the only floor with stairs. When you return, just let the front desk agent know that you do not want to be on the 15th floor. We are always happy to accommodate our guests preferences and needs! I know the price for parking seems spendy, but I assure you that the fee is in line with all other downtown hotels. Thanks again for this lovely review!
denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed at the Grand for 3 nights. We upgraded to a suite which while not the largest suite we have ever had, was more than adequate. We enjoyed the hotel and the location in the heart of downtown. We loved that they served complimentary coffee in the lobby until 9 am (most hotels remove free coffee much earlier) and free wine between 5-6 pm. Both nice touches. Although the hotel has dark paneling and feels a bit dark, the furniture and decor are updated and stylish. One of the best features is the fantastic health club that is in the hotel. It is also free for guests and has awesome equipment and a fabulous fitness class I took on Saturday morning. We left early Sunday morning and they put free coffee outside our room and left the Sunday NY Times. Only negative as mentioned by other reviewers is the soap, shampoo wall dispensers. I know this is PC but we prefer soap bars and small containers of shampoos, etc. Minneapolis is a delightful city and the Grand Hotel made it even more enjoyable!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JWRDenver: Thanks so much for the fantastic review! I'm so glad that you enjoyed Minneapolis and The Grand. Thanks for mentioning our convenient location. We are also connected to the city's skyway, so you can get around the entire city in the winter without stepping foot outside in the chilly temperatures. It is so nice that you had a chance to take advantage of Lifetime Fitness. It's such an excellent perk for our guests. We use the bathroom amenity dispensers due to our dedication to the environment. They significantly reduce the amount of waste because we are not discarding partially used small bottles. However, I understand that it is a matter of preference. Thanks again for writing about us! We hope to see you again next time you're in town!
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Stayed for two nights in a Luxury Suite. All the staff (doorman, valet, front desk, and housekeeping) were top notch and genuinely did everything they could to make our stay memorable. The hotel is nicely decorated and offers great use of an attached fitness center. The room we stayed in was nice, but seemed a little old, dark, and dated. The bedroom seemed small for the price. The bathroom was large, well lit, and offered both a soaking tub and shower. We love Kimpton properties...with a little updating to the rooms, I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear polar556: I love that the staff helped to make your stay memorable! We truly have some of the best people in the business representing The Grand! Isn't Lifetime Fitness an amazing facility? We are so fortunate to have such an impressive health club in the hotel. We completely renovated the hotel just a few years ago and we are so pleased with the designers choices. The carpet, wall coverings, draperies, furniture, etc. in every guest room was replaced. Because our historic building used to be the Minneapolis Athletic Club, the designers tried to preserve the classic and somewhat masculine feel while adding some fun Kimpton flair. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and thank you for your loyalty to Kimpton!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Rooms are very large and very comfortable. Bathrooms are the best! Very large, very good lighting. Rooms are well spaced so you don't hear any noise from hallway or nearby rooms.

Bell service isn't consistent so if no one is there, you have to lug your own suitcase up a few stairs to get to the hotel lobby. Charging restaurant to your room can be a bit of an issue as there is some connectivity limitation between the two. Other than that, staff is very accommodating and professional.

Room Tip: You really can't go wrong. All rooms are great. Hotel is surrounded by tall buildings so don...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear TA_3163: Thanks so much for taking the time to write this note. I agree, we do have the best bathrooms! They are large and luxurious! I'm so pleased that you found the room quiet, as that is sometimes difficult to find in downtown hotels. If you are super sensitive to noise, our atrium king rooms and suites will suit you well. I appreciate the feedback about the arrival experience and assure you that we are making some exciting changes to enhance it. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience. I hope you'll be back!

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!