“Enjoyable Downtown Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Special Offer
Pet Package
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cleveland, Ohio
“Enjoyable Downtown Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Unfortunately I was only able to stay here one night. Room 1013 was dreamy, too bad I wasn't able to enjoy it longer. Three TVs, a gorgeous bed, nice layout, great decor. Very tastefully decorated, loved the colors. The bathroom was large enough to hold a party.
Service is top-notch. Everyone encountered was just too nice. Professional. Helpful.
The complimentary wine hour is always enjoyed. This hotel had a large lobby but limited seating compared to other Kimpton hotels.
Had a meeting and the room was perfect, the cookies served were award-worthy.
The gentleman at the lobby bar was super nice and very proud that he was serving local craft brews. That's a great touch.

The only cons are: steps at the front door and nobody to help with luggage and the on-site restaurant, Rare, for breakfast was blah. Service was non-existent, very slow, egg white omelette was really greasy. Prices were fair.

Room Tip: Upgrade, the room is awesome.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Terriv: Thank you for taking the time to write about us. I wish you could have stayed longer too! I agree, room 1013 is dreamy! It's one of my favorites. Thank you for commenting on the decor. The design team we hired when we completely renovated did a phenomenal job! We are so proud of our beautiful little hotel. I love that you had a chance to visit the Six15 Room and meet one of our talented bartenders. They are so friendly, and love recommending local craft brews and mixing up craft cocktails. I'm disappointed to read about your breakfast experience and I've shared your comments with the owner and operator of Rare. Thanks again for sharing your experience. See you next time your in Minneapolis!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Turkish first
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This hotel is very centrally located, and rooms are well appointed. Beds are comfortable, rooms are spacious and very clean. We stayed for four nights, and we were able to enjoy live music and a complimentary glass of wine before dinner in the lobby each evening.

The hotel staff were friendly and helpful, and greeted us whenever we entered the lobby.

Valet parking is reasonably priced, but there is more economical parking in the parking garage across the street. Loading and unloading is a bit awkward, since the area in front of the hotel is a bus lane with no stopping allowed. Instead, the valet parking and guest loading area is around the corner, but once you get to the hotel entrance, you will have to drive around the block to get to it.

There are stairs from the lobby to access the pedestrian mall that connects various buildings in the downtown, with access to lots of great shopping. The weather was fine when we were there, but in winter, this series of bridges and passageways would allow you to wander the downtown without worrying about inclement weather.

The restaurant in the hotel has an excellent varied dinner menu including some excellent sushi choices, and there are lots of other options within easy walking distance from the hotel.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear HarlanRegina_Ca...: Thank you for this fantastic review! I'm pleased that you found the room comfy, clean and spacious. Thanks for praising our staff. They are so attentive and friendly and jump at the opportunity to help. Just to clarify about valet, we do actually have a zone directly in front of the hotel for loading and unloading. We just ask that you check in with our valet attendants at the corner of 2nd and 7th first. If the zone in front of the hotel is clear, they will instruct you to pull around the corner to unload. There are less expensive self-parking options in the area, but they don't extend the in and out privledges like our valet. In addition, we have some super friendly valet attendants that are always willing to help and give recommendations of what to do while your visiting our lovely city. Thanks again for this excellent review!
Blacksburg, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We booked our first two nights of a two week trip at this lovely hotel at a great rate, then joined the Kimpton rewards program. First they upgraded us to a larger room, then we enjoyed a glass of wine in the lobby and headed out to dinner. There are lots of restaurant choices within walking distance and we were given very good directions.

The room was quite spacious, with a very comfortable bed. Everything was spotlessly clean and the room was very quiet. We will definitely stay there again when we return to Minneapolis.

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor and it was very quiet. We had a view of an office building, but that was...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear LittleSpeckledTrout: I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us! Thanks for joining the Kimpton In Touch loyalty program. If you haven't yet, be sure to indicate your preferences in your profile. It will help us to personalize your future stays at all Kimpton hotels. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the Minneapolis restaurant scene! We have some amazing restaurants within walking distance. I know how important a good night's sleep is when you're traveling, so it's wonderful that the room was quiet and the bed was comfy! A quiet hotel room and comfy bed can be hard to find. Thanks so much for this fantastic review!
Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel is amazing! Absolutely perfect for anyone looking to stay at a location that is in the heart of downtown! The rooms were clean, spacious and very well decorated. The beds were very comfortable. The staff has excellent customer service!! (Kudos to the management team for training and maintaining a top of the line staff). We were in town for a girls bachelorette weekend and we couldn't have asked for a better experience!! I HIGHLY Recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Jacklyn A: Thank YOU for this absolutely wonderful review! You covered it all. I appreciate the mention of our prime location, clean, comfy, spacious and stylish rooms, and of course the fantastic staff representing the hotel! We are so fortunate to have an ownership group that enables us to keep the hotel in top notch shape and embraces the Kimpton culture of hiring the most genuine people! I'm so glad that the bachelorette weekend was a success. Congrats to the wedding couple! I trust we'll see you next time you need a place to stay in Minnie!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

What a stay, this property and it staff is second to none! I was traveling with my daughter who was competing at the University of Minnesota and I was blown away by the staff knowing the days she competed and more importantly having their whole team make and sign a good luck postee which was delivered to our room the day of her competition. It is the small stuff that makes a big difference and the staff could not have been nicer. Additionally the property and rooms are great! I will definitely be going back and would recommend this as a great location!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Tim B: This is so cool! I can't thank you enough for sharing this. We empower our team to make these kind of connections with our guests and they always jump at the opportunity to do so. The more we know about why you're here, the better! It helps us to personalize your stay. I've shared your review with the staff and several of them have commented about how much they enjoyed meeting you and rooting for your daughter! So neat! We look forward to your return!
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Uniquely styled hotel in beautiful clean Minneapolis. Great location. Rooms were clean and had slightly masculine and eclectic flavor. Staff was friendly and there was a great mix of people staying here. Bed was very comfortable. Had a lovely facial at the spa. There is a bar off the lobby and a restaurant on site upstairs, neither of which I had a chance to try. Luxurious touches throughout. Will stay again. Love the uniqueness and helpful staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Monarch8: I love that you appreciate our unique style! The design team hired to do our renovation did a fantastic job preserving the historic feel of the old Minneapolis Athletic Club while adding some colorful Kimpton style. I'm glad you got a good nights sleep in our comfy bed! You definitely need to check out our lounge, The Six15 Room next time you're here. You'll be greeted by our friendly bartenders eager to mix a craft cocktail! They are truly delicious. Thanks so much for this lovely review!
washington, dc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This Kimpton property is exactly what you expect, stylish interiors, large, well-appointed rooms, and fun perks. Because I'm a member of their loyalty program, they gave me a $5 upgrade; the room was huge--I think the bathroom was larger than my (admittedly small) kitchen, there were three tv's including one in the bathroom (although that one didn't work). Unfortunately, the service was not up to par for Kimpton. I was pleased that they made sure my room was available early since I had a sort of strange travel schedule, but they were not very helpful otherwise. I was in town for a particular function, but asked about ways to occupy my time beforehand, and they really were not able to offer any suggestions; when I asked about a a good place to get coffee, I was directed to the nearest Caribou Coffee; when I asked for the best way to get to my function, I was handed a map; when I asked how much before my flight I should plan to arrive at the airport, the receptionist told me she hadn't flown recently. The worst part was I had asked about getting a taxi very early in the morning and was told that they could call me one; then, in the morning it ended up being a car service, which I didn't realize was going to cost me an extra $10. Apparently you have to specify if you want a cab and not a town car. They did make it right though; I called after returning home to let the manager know that I thought the staff should have been more communicative about the price difference, and he took $10 off my bill.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear asmartgirl: I'm glad you enjoyed the spaciousness of the room and bathroom. Our rooms are unusually large, especially for a downtown hotel. It's great that we were able to get you checked-in early, but regret that we didn't have better suggestions as to what you could do with your free time. I will certainly follow-up. Our bellmen tend to recommend town cars over cabs because the town car drivers allow us to book transportation at a specific time, the service is far better and they are more reliable. However, it's all about a guests preference, so if you asked for a cab, we should have gotten you a cab. I'm relieved that we compensated you for the difference. Thanks for letting us know about this. I appreciate the feedback!