“Absolute Dream” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Offers & Announcements
2014 FREE Valet Parking
Ranked #3 of 48 hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Martinez, California
“Absolute Dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

From the moment we checked in we were so delighted. The desk staff were friendly, efficient and polite. We got to our room and couldn't believe our eyes. A spacious room, beautifully decorated with a wonderful king bed and still plenty of room. Lighted closet complete with robes, socks, ironing board, iron and even a YOGA MAT. The bathroom with dual sinks had a deep tub (with TV niche) plus a huge shower stall and a separate toilet enclosure. The bathroom was nearly as big as the room itself.
The room was immaculately clean with plenty of towels and in-place toiletries in the shower and at the sink. We would not hesitate to come back! It is just 3 blocks walk from the convenient light rail from the airport (a bargain at $1.75 for regular passengers). Easy walk to the vibrant Hennepin Theater area, many fine restaurants and 2 blocks to the Nicolette Mall for shopping - Saks and Macy's along with other quality retailers. We didn't have time to check out the spa but we passed many relaxed patrons in the hall and in the elevator.

Room Tip: We thought the Atrium King was fabulous.
Green Features: Many options, you can bypass daily maid service and earn restaurant credits. They have a towel re-use policy. I liked that they had pump toiletries, avoiding the throw away mini-bottles. The shampoo and conditioner were of very good quality.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Operagal 94553: I'm thrilled that you loved the staff, your room and our convenient location! Thank you for taking the time to tell everyone about your pleasant experience. Our rooms and bathrooms are hands down some of the best I've encountered. When we renovated, the designers did a fantastic job preserving the history of the building while adding some fun Kimpton flair. Aren't those yoga mats so cool? You can actually call the front desk for yoga roll out service and we offer a yoga channel to guide you through your workout. I'm glad you found our location convenient to the light rail, shopping and restaurants. It's so nice to be connected to the city skyway in the winter when walking outside is sometimes unbearable. We can't wait for you to return!

485 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Turkish first
Portsmouth, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Hotel last weekend and had the usual fantastic Kimpton experience. We always seek our their hotels because they are a great value for a great experience. Our room was large, comfortable with a great bed and even a view of downtown. The bathroom was spotless as was the sleeping area. I particularly noticed that the sheets were so comfortable and inviting. We love the wine hour in the evening .and the free coffee in the morning. All in all, a great place to stay and so well located for shopping.

Room Tip: Upgrade for the extra $10- it is worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear cleats 126: There is a smile on my face too because reading your review was such a pleasure! Thank you for being a loyal fan of Kimpton! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the spacious and comfy room. The luxurious sheets are brand new and everyone seems to love them. Thanks for joining us a wine hour. We have so much fun pouring wine each evening and chatting with our guests! I hope you enjoyed our lounge, The Six15 Room too. If you want something other than wine, our creative bartenders are so talented at making the most delicious craft cocktails. I hope you'll have a reason to visit Minneapolis again and return to The Grand. Thanks so much for this fantastic review!
Burnsville, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a short get-away for our 10-year wedding anniversary and we found The Grand Hotel Minneapolis online. It was located central to where we wanted to dine and had a Spa, which were truly there primary reasons we chose the hotel when I originally booked online.

We were welcomed by the front desk staff and asked why we were visiting. Upon telling him that we were celebrating our anniversary he upgraded our room and booked us in the room that was our anniversary date. And they continued to excel from the front door staff who directed us, the valet, the Spa staff (amazing massages), to the Assistant General Manager who actually personally responded to my survey within an hour of me completing it.

I've stayed at many hotels around the world, including The Ritz, Four Seasons and the like. I've got to say, from a service perspective, this staff has truly impressed me. WOW.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear cguarrero: Wow, what an amazing review! Happy Anniversary, by the way! I remember receiving your guest satisfaction survey in my inbox and it absolutely made my day. It is so cool that our front desk agent gave you a room with the number of your anniversary date. I checked your reservation and it was Brandon that checked you in. His is such an asset to The Grand and I assure you he's been awarded! Thank you for taking the time to share this wonderful experience with everyone! See you next time!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Great hotel in downtown Minneapolis from this eclectic chain. So much better than the Hiltons/Marriots/Starwoods you might be used to. Make sure you're a (free) intouch member for wifi & minibar credit. Turn down (sorry, bad pun) maid service for vouchers to use in their small bar. Nice unique decor and cool touches like a tv in the bathroom.

They really looked after us on our anniversary this last week. The Oakland A's were staying at the same time to roundly trash the Twins so that only added to the fun!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dan B: Thank you for this wonderful review! I'm thrilled that you noticed our eclectic style and truly genuine staff, and prefer us to the larger chains. Because we are so small, we have the advantage of connecting with each and every guest. I've worked for Kimpton for nearly seven years because of this. It doesn't get any better. Thank you for mentioning the Kimpton In Touch loyalty program. It's free to join and there are tons of perks. I love that you took advantage of our Choose to Conserve program. We are committed to preserving the environment, so we provide $5 vouchers that can be used in the bar or for in-room dining if you opt out of housekeeping service. I hope you had a chance to meet our amazing bartenders at The Six15 Room. Happy belated Anniversary!
World citizen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I go out of my way to stay at Kimpton properties, and not because In Touch membership offers all that much; free WiFi in your room and a $10 credit at the mini-bar. I go for the accomodating staff, quirky design aesethetic, and comfy beds. All that was in the Grand as expected, but this stay had two huge issues that can't be ignored. First, if you've got more than a carry on bag, be prepared for a slog from the valet stand way around the corner. I was traveling with a bicycle and gear and unloading and putting together a bike in the street with buses and cars inches away is a daunting, unpleasant task. This property has no circle drive to pull in to and even at the canopy there's no unloading because of construction. Once inside, the next hurdle is a bank of stairs to navigate with no one insite to open the first or the second set of doors. (The valets are around the corner half a block away). Sure, you could use the valets each time you're in and out, but add those tips to the daily $32 valet rate and well, you're looking at $45 or $50 a day if you don't carry your own bags, gear and bikes. And while the lobby was well maintained, the room was not. Yes, it was clean and stylish, but the huge foot board looked like it had been chopped at with blunt objects by a hoard of 8 year olds, it was that beat up, each divot white against the dark stain. This could be quickly fixed with some touch up. LOVED the knock-off Womb chair in faux crocodile vinyl knowing it was clean and would stay that way since vinyl doesn't stain the way the typical umholstered furniture does. And the good size flat screen t.v. was just right for the room and HBO standard. Also, although I had a nice handwritten note from a housekeeper, I came back to my room after being gone from 10am to 1am only to find my door open! Not good. It seems that door needs adjusting and doesn't close itself fully. Thank god I was at the end of a hallway and no thiefs walked down that hall, or my valuables would have been long gone. That shouldn't happen. Since I like to bike the chain o' lakes when in town and bring my bike, I probably won't stay here again for the hassle and cost of getting in and out. Also the in-room WiFi was hard to access and only worked 1 of 3 nights, despite calls to the desk, who's response was - "I'm having trouble too".

Room Tip: ask for what you want.
Green Features: I reuse my towels and asked for only one out of three days of housekeeping
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Skarzan: We appreciate your loyalty to Kimpton Hotels! We are growing quickly, so keep your eyes peeled for Kimpton's in new cities very soon. I regret that you were inconvenienced upon arrival. Since your stay, we've completed the construction in front of the hotel and we now have a valet drop-off and pick-up zone at the entrance. It's really simplified the arrival and departure experience. Since there are stairs upon entry to the hotel, we have a lift and our bellmen are always happy to load guest belongings on the lift and send them up. They'd prefer to assist so that you don't have to worry about lugging anything. The overnight parking rate is $32, which is in line with all other downtown parking rates. Minneapolis parking is on the pricey side. In regards to the footboard in the room, we are currently working on a project to refinish all of them. It just takes time to get through all of the rooms. In regards to your door not latching, I am also so relieved that nothing happened. I completely agree that it is inexcusable and I assure you we've reminded all staff members to check every door upon exiting the rooms. I hope you'll give us another shot when you return to Minneapolis. I promise we'll take care of transporting your belongings in and out so that you aren't inconvenienced. Please feel free to contact me when you know you'll be in town. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience!
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is beautiful!! The whole hotel has been renovated. They have the nicest touches like bikes to borrow in the lobby and yoga videos and mats in the rooms. The whole hotel has an eclectic feel. I really loved our room. It was huge! The bathroom had a huge soaking tub with a TV and a separate walk in shower. I wished we were staying longer than one night! We were there for our 20th wedding anniversary and Carly, from the front desk, surprised us by delivering a complimentary bottle of champagne on ice, chocolate covered strawberries and a personal greeting card. They made our night very special. I will definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel to my friends!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Premier King room and it was very large, with a big bedroom and bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Keely15: I'm thrilled that you had a wonderful stay! Yes, we renovated all areas of the hotel and the design team did a phenomenal job. Aren't the bathrooms the best? The majority of them are super spacious and it's pretty neat to be able to watch TV while soaking in the tub! Happy Anniversary, by the way! I'm so glad that Carly recognized your special day and sent you some treats. She's pretty awesome. Maybe we'll see you next year for your anniversary celebration. Thanks so much for this lovely review!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Native Minneapolitan who at the last minute wanted a special Date Night with my wife and decided to stay at the Kimpton Grand Hotel and everything was fabulous about our stay. Josh at the Front desk was very professional and welcoming,management very engaging with the guests,room was immaculate and premium ammenities.Complimentary wine between 5-6pm.24 hour room service.So proud to say Minneapolis finally has the Kimpton Brand in this city.When checking out Kyle said Come stay with us again and my response was "Yoe can count on it". 5 Star baby

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Debby C: I appreciate you choosing The Grand for your downtown date night! Isn't it wonderful that Kimpton finally has a presence in Minneapolis? We will actually be expanding all over the Midwest very soon. Thank you for noticing the cleanliness of our luxurious rooms! Our housekeeping team takes such pride in the hotel. I'm glad you had a chance to meet Josh and Kyle. They are so friendly and love their jobs! Kyle, Josh and the rest of us look forward to seeing you again on your next date night!

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!