“HIgh style, well trained staff, some problems.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Special Offer
2014 FREE Valet Parking
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
World citizen
“HIgh style, well trained staff, some problems.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I go out of my way to stay at Kimpton properties, and not because In Touch membership offers all that much; free WiFi in your room and a $10 credit at the mini-bar. I go for the accomodating staff, quirky design aesethetic, and comfy beds. All that was in the Grand as expected, but this stay had two huge issues that can't be ignored. First, if you've got more than a carry on bag, be prepared for a slog from the valet stand way around the corner. I was traveling with a bicycle and gear and unloading and putting together a bike in the street with buses and cars inches away is a daunting, unpleasant task. This property has no circle drive to pull in to and even at the canopy there's no unloading because of construction. Once inside, the next hurdle is a bank of stairs to navigate with no one insite to open the first or the second set of doors. (The valets are around the corner half a block away). Sure, you could use the valets each time you're in and out, but add those tips to the daily $32 valet rate and well, you're looking at $45 or $50 a day if you don't carry your own bags, gear and bikes. And while the lobby was well maintained, the room was not. Yes, it was clean and stylish, but the huge foot board looked like it had been chopped at with blunt objects by a hoard of 8 year olds, it was that beat up, each divot white against the dark stain. This could be quickly fixed with some touch up. LOVED the knock-off Womb chair in faux crocodile vinyl knowing it was clean and would stay that way since vinyl doesn't stain the way the typical umholstered furniture does. And the good size flat screen t.v. was just right for the room and HBO standard. Also, although I had a nice handwritten note from a housekeeper, I came back to my room after being gone from 10am to 1am only to find my door open! Not good. It seems that door needs adjusting and doesn't close itself fully. Thank god I was at the end of a hallway and no thiefs walked down that hall, or my valuables would have been long gone. That shouldn't happen. Since I like to bike the chain o' lakes when in town and bring my bike, I probably won't stay here again for the hassle and cost of getting in and out. Also the in-room WiFi was hard to access and only worked 1 of 3 nights, despite calls to the desk, who's response was - "I'm having trouble too".

Room Tip: ask for what you want.
Green Features: I reuse my towels and asked for only one out of three days of housekeeping
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Skarzan: We appreciate your loyalty to Kimpton Hotels! We are growing quickly, so keep your eyes peeled for Kimpton's in new cities very soon. I regret that you were inconvenienced upon arrival. Since your stay, we've completed the construction in front of the hotel and we now have a valet drop-off and pick-up zone at the entrance. It's really simplified the arrival and departure experience. Since there are stairs upon entry to the hotel, we have a lift and our bellmen are always happy to load guest belongings on the lift and send them up. They'd prefer to assist so that you don't have to worry about lugging anything. The overnight parking rate is $32, which is in line with all other downtown parking rates. Minneapolis parking is on the pricey side. In regards to the footboard in the room, we are currently working on a project to refinish all of them. It just takes time to get through all of the rooms. In regards to your door not latching, I am also so relieved that nothing happened. I completely agree that it is inexcusable and I assure you we've reminded all staff members to check every door upon exiting the rooms. I hope you'll give us another shot when you return to Minneapolis. I promise we'll take care of transporting your belongings in and out so that you aren't inconvenienced. Please feel free to contact me when you know you'll be in town. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is beautiful!! The whole hotel has been renovated. They have the nicest touches like bikes to borrow in the lobby and yoga videos and mats in the rooms. The whole hotel has an eclectic feel. I really loved our room. It was huge! The bathroom had a huge soaking tub with a TV and a separate walk in shower. I wished we were staying longer than one night! We were there for our 20th wedding anniversary and Carly, from the front desk, surprised us by delivering a complimentary bottle of champagne on ice, chocolate covered strawberries and a personal greeting card. They made our night very special. I will definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel to my friends!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Premier King room and it was very large, with a big bedroom and bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Keely15: I'm thrilled that you had a wonderful stay! Yes, we renovated all areas of the hotel and the design team did a phenomenal job. Aren't the bathrooms the best? The majority of them are super spacious and it's pretty neat to be able to watch TV while soaking in the tub! Happy Anniversary, by the way! I'm so glad that Carly recognized your special day and sent you some treats. She's pretty awesome. Maybe we'll see you next year for your anniversary celebration. Thanks so much for this lovely review!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Native Minneapolitan who at the last minute wanted a special Date Night with my wife and decided to stay at the Kimpton Grand Hotel and everything was fabulous about our stay. Josh at the Front desk was very professional and welcoming,management very engaging with the guests,room was immaculate and premium ammenities.Complimentary wine between 5-6pm.24 hour room service.So proud to say Minneapolis finally has the Kimpton Brand in this city.When checking out Kyle said Come stay with us again and my response was "Yoe can count on it". 5 Star baby

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Debby C: I appreciate you choosing The Grand for your downtown date night! Isn't it wonderful that Kimpton finally has a presence in Minneapolis? We will actually be expanding all over the Midwest very soon. Thank you for noticing the cleanliness of our luxurious rooms! Our housekeeping team takes such pride in the hotel. I'm glad you had a chance to meet Josh and Kyle. They are so friendly and love their jobs! Kyle, Josh and the rest of us look forward to seeing you again on your next date night!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

You wouldn't know by the outside facade, but this hotel is wonderful. Great rooms, nice downtown location! The in hotel restaurants are just o.k., but there are other great choices in downtown MN.

The rooms are spacious. If you upgrade to a suite, downright huge. All rooms are nicely appointed and modern.

Pros: great staff, rooms, bar area, fitness centers.
Cons: restaurants just ok, rewards program does not have points.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Chuck M: Thanks so much for taking the time to write about The Grand! It's fantastic that the hotel suited your needs and you enjoyed your time with us. The building opened as The Minneapolis Athletic Club a hundred years ago and was later converted into a hotel. We took over in late 2010 and our owners generously put millions of dollars into updating both the appearance and functioning of everything in the building. The rooms definitely are spacious. That's one of the many benefits of the historic building. I trust we'll see you again. Thanks so much!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Someone else made reservations and this was an excellent spot. The entire staff was friendly and helpful, especially the front desk people. The room was comfortable, well appointed and restful. It manages to keep a combination of modern conveniences and older charm. Would definitely recommend and re-visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Simon B: Thank you for the excellent comments! I appreciate you mentioning how the hotel is a combo of modern conveniences and older charm. I couldn't have said it better. Outside of our phenomenal employees, the modern, yet classic feel is our greatest asset. I'm glad that you enjoyed your interactions with the staff. I am so lucky to have them representing The Grand! So glad you had a great time and we look forward to your return!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am typically a Starwood guy, but all properties were sold out or outrageously priced, so I ended up here. I think it is a very nice business hotel, the restaurant was good and the room was spacious. It is an older building and some some rooms show wear (my tub faucet flew off), but overall would go again.

Room Tip: If you are facing the crowne plaza - your room is subject to bright lights and you will need to clos...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear CHD3: Thank you for trying The Grand out! I'm pleased that the hotel suited your needs. You may have already done this, but if not, you should sign up for our loyalty program, Kimpton In Touch. There are some excellent benefit, such as credit toward the honor bar, free wifi, credit towards future free stays, etc. I know that you typically stay with a different chain, but we'd love to make you a Kimptonite! I hope you'll be back.
Carver, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Staying in this hotel is a wonderful experience. The top notch service and upscale atmosphere is to be expected. The staff is accommodating and professional, and makes you feel like an honored guest. The hotel bar is a nice place to grab a drink and unwind, or get started for an evening out. The rooms are clean, neat, with a bit of a masculine feel with the dark woods. The bathrooms are very nice, I'm picky on the cleanliness and set up of hotel bathrooms, and I have zero complaints on any level for this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear K M: Thank you for this top notch review! It was such a pleasure to read. I'm thrilled that the staff made you feel honored. When guests leave the hotel feeling that way, we've met our goal. I'm glad you loved our bar, The Six15 Room. From the friendly bartenders and inviting atmosphere to the tasty cocktails and food, it's such a great place to gather. It's so nice that you enjoyed the guest room as well. When we renovated, the design team succeeded in preserving the masculine feel of the old Minneapolis Athletic Club while incorporating some fun Kimpton flair. I appreciate the comments about cleanliness. I am also very picky about that and proud to share that we have the best housekeeping team I've ever worked with. Thanks again for this stellar review. Please come see us again!

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!