“Classy Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Special Offer
2014 FREE Valet Parking
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Classy Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Native Minneapolitan who at the last minute wanted a special Date Night with my wife and decided to stay at the Kimpton Grand Hotel and everything was fabulous about our stay. Josh at the Front desk was very professional and welcoming,management very engaging with the guests,room was immaculate and premium ammenities.Complimentary wine between 5-6pm.24 hour room service.So proud to say Minneapolis finally has the Kimpton Brand in this city.When checking out Kyle said Come stay with us again and my response was "Yoe can count on it". 5 Star baby

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Debby C: I appreciate you choosing The Grand for your downtown date night! Isn't it wonderful that Kimpton finally has a presence in Minneapolis? We will actually be expanding all over the Midwest very soon. Thank you for noticing the cleanliness of our luxurious rooms! Our housekeeping team takes such pride in the hotel. I'm glad you had a chance to meet Josh and Kyle. They are so friendly and love their jobs! Kyle, Josh and the rest of us look forward to seeing you again on your next date night!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

You wouldn't know by the outside facade, but this hotel is wonderful. Great rooms, nice downtown location! The in hotel restaurants are just o.k., but there are other great choices in downtown MN.

The rooms are spacious. If you upgrade to a suite, downright huge. All rooms are nicely appointed and modern.

Pros: great staff, rooms, bar area, fitness centers.
Cons: restaurants just ok, rewards program does not have points.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Chuck M: Thanks so much for taking the time to write about The Grand! It's fantastic that the hotel suited your needs and you enjoyed your time with us. The building opened as The Minneapolis Athletic Club a hundred years ago and was later converted into a hotel. We took over in late 2010 and our owners generously put millions of dollars into updating both the appearance and functioning of everything in the building. The rooms definitely are spacious. That's one of the many benefits of the historic building. I trust we'll see you again. Thanks so much!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Someone else made reservations and this was an excellent spot. The entire staff was friendly and helpful, especially the front desk people. The room was comfortable, well appointed and restful. It manages to keep a combination of modern conveniences and older charm. Would definitely recommend and re-visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Simon B: Thank you for the excellent comments! I appreciate you mentioning how the hotel is a combo of modern conveniences and older charm. I couldn't have said it better. Outside of our phenomenal employees, the modern, yet classic feel is our greatest asset. I'm glad that you enjoyed your interactions with the staff. I am so lucky to have them representing The Grand! So glad you had a great time and we look forward to your return!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am typically a Starwood guy, but all properties were sold out or outrageously priced, so I ended up here. I think it is a very nice business hotel, the restaurant was good and the room was spacious. It is an older building and some some rooms show wear (my tub faucet flew off), but overall would go again.

Room Tip: If you are facing the crowne plaza - your room is subject to bright lights and you will need to clos...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear CHD3: Thank you for trying The Grand out! I'm pleased that the hotel suited your needs. You may have already done this, but if not, you should sign up for our loyalty program, Kimpton In Touch. There are some excellent benefit, such as credit toward the honor bar, free wifi, credit towards future free stays, etc. I know that you typically stay with a different chain, but we'd love to make you a Kimptonite! I hope you'll be back.
Carver, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Staying in this hotel is a wonderful experience. The top notch service and upscale atmosphere is to be expected. The staff is accommodating and professional, and makes you feel like an honored guest. The hotel bar is a nice place to grab a drink and unwind, or get started for an evening out. The rooms are clean, neat, with a bit of a masculine feel with the dark woods. The bathrooms are very nice, I'm picky on the cleanliness and set up of hotel bathrooms, and I have zero complaints on any level for this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear K M: Thank you for this top notch review! It was such a pleasure to read. I'm thrilled that the staff made you feel honored. When guests leave the hotel feeling that way, we've met our goal. I'm glad you loved our bar, The Six15 Room. From the friendly bartenders and inviting atmosphere to the tasty cocktails and food, it's such a great place to gather. It's so nice that you enjoyed the guest room as well. When we renovated, the design team succeeded in preserving the masculine feel of the old Minneapolis Athletic Club while incorporating some fun Kimpton flair. I appreciate the comments about cleanliness. I am also very picky about that and proud to share that we have the best housekeeping team I've ever worked with. Thanks again for this stellar review. Please come see us again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Whenever I go to Minneapolis I like to stay at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis. Service is always excellent, the rooms are comfortable, and the bar does a great Jamie Ginger at a fantastic price! I also love that it's part of the Kimpton family. With my last stay, I arrived late in the evening and room service was just ending but the person who checked me in went out of his way to grab the menu from the bar and let me place my order while I was checking in to ensure I was able to get something to eat and that it would be delivered to my room. The hotel is in a fantastic location downtown and walking distance to the metro, dining, and shopping.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear bettyboopsf1: Thank you for staying with us every time you're in town! We appreciate your loyalty. The bartenders in The Six15 Room are so talented! They come up with some of the most delicious craft cocktails that I've ever tasted. I'm glad you love them too! I appreciate you mentioning your experience at check-in. That made my day. It's so nice to hear about my team going above and beyond. Thanks again and we'll see you next time you're in Minnie!
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The Grand Hotel is in a great location that is very close to everything to do downtown. It's a very unique hotel that maintains it's older charm but is very modern.

What really makes the hotel is its consistent customer service. From the valets, check-in, concierge, and bartenders, they really make it a home away from home. We live in the Minneapolis suburbs and at least 2 times a year go downtown for the weekend. We've tried just about every hotel and this has been our favorite and only hotel since going there two years ago.

Note: The hotel room suites can vary in size and layout due to this being a historic building. The bathrooms in particular vary in size. If for some reason you have issues with the first room you're assigned, ask at the front desk if they have something different. They will try very hard to get you a room that fits your needs.

Favorite features: Fast Wi-fi, Lobby Bar, Complimentary Wine at 5pm, Coffee Service in the Morning.

Room Tip: Valet parking is on the side of the hotel on 7th Street. You can't pull up to the hotel on 2nd...
Green Features: Very eco-concious. You can opt to skip the room cleaning.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mjfulke: Thank you for making The Grand your choice staycation hotel! I appreciate you mentioning the hotels uniqueness and charm. When we renovated the property, the design team did a stellar job preserving the history of the hotel while adding modern and fun flair. I'm so glad that you love our staff! I do too. They are truly the best. All of them are dedicated to making each guests stay memorable. Thanks so much for this fantastic review! We'll see you on your next staycation.

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!