“Great Business Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Business Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel was extremely convienent to my business meetings but also close to shopping and restaurants. The room was exceptionally clean and the staff were beyond welcoming. I had a little trouble finding the valet parking and ended up parking in the garage across the street however that didnt affect my stay. I will stay here again.

Green Features: You can save money off the room if you choose to save your towels/linens. Great program!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Msjerrae: Thank you for the five star rating! I'm glad you found us conveniently located for your needs. If you return in the winter, the hotel is attached to the skyway, so you can get everywhere you need to go without stepping outside. It's ideal when it's super frigid out! Thanks for commenting on the cleanliness of our rooms. We have the most amazing and dedicated housekeeping team. They take so much pride in the hotel, and due to that, we have some of the highest cleanliness scores in the company. In regards to valet parking, we are actually getting a zone directly in front of the hotel. It will be ready in about a week! Guests will still need to pull up to drop off their vehicles on the corner of 7th Street and 2nd Avenue, but when they call to retrieve the vehicle, we will pull it right up front. This will be so nice on those cold days. Thanks again and hopefully we will see you next time you're traveling on business in Minnie!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Turkish first
Treasure Coast, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stayed at this Kimpton in late July 2013 after a fantastic experience at Hotel Monaco (also a Kimpton) in Portland earlier that month. We were in Minnesota to visit family and extended our stay for two nights to explore Minneapolis.

I chuckled as I read the first couple pages of reviews of the Grand Hotel because every one mentions the valet location. It is awkward, no doubt. Eight directions of one-ways and a corner stop that is no where near the front entrance. It kind of made sense after I realized the street side in front of the hotel was a huge metro-transit stop. Either way,the valet guys were super nice. I asked them for a bellman and he was there with a cart in two seconds.

The lobby is typical Kimpton style - which I admire. We booked a luxury suite which I thought was huge for the price as well as huge for a downtown metropolitan area. The location was great. We had dinner with several friends at Sea Change (outstanding!) which was maybe a $5 cab ride from the hotel. We cabbed back toward the hotel but got out for a pit stop which turned into a couple of great pit stops on the walk back. On our second night we walked to Target Field to catch a Twins game. It was a 10 minute (max) walk to the main gate of the ball field. That stadium is amazing. Those points being said, I felt that the location of The Grand Hotel along with price and luxury was pretty awesome.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear LtCheeseWhiz: I'm so pleased that you decided to check out The Grand after visiting The Portland Monaco. Hopefully you are a lifelong Kimpton fan now! I am so happy to share that we will soon have a valet drop off zone directly in front of the hotel! The work started August 1st and will be ready before we know it. We are so excited. I'm glad you got the "Kimpton feel" when entering the lobby. When Kimpton took over management of The Grand, our owners were so generous to renovate the entire property. They hired a design team that's decorated several Kimpton hotels, so they really have a way of incorporating the quirky Kimpton flair! Thank you for the excellent review and I hope you'll be back.
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My wife and I come down often from Duluth and stay downtown for the sports, arts and shopping. We both agreed that this hotel is now our favorite and will only stay here from now on. I could go on and on about the great amenities and such but what really impressed us were the personal touches by the staff at the Grand. When checking in with our two children we mentioned we were down for a long weekend and it was our daughters 6th birthday. When we arrived later the room our daughter and son were very excited over a plate of fresh cookies and milk left inside our room. Along with the cookies was a personally signed birthday card from the staff. This made my kids feel special and was a very kind and thoughtful gesture. Thank You!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear David N: I'm thrilled that you tried us out and now we're your favorite downtown hotel! It's so neat that your children felt pampered too. All of our employees are encouraged to make personal and genuine connections with our guests and they jump at every opportunity to do so. I just love hearing stories about the fun things they come up with! We have a wonderful team that truly loves creating memorable experiences. Thank you for sharing your experience. We can't wait to see you again next time your down from Duluth!
Palm Coast, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our hotel stay at the Grand. We had a corner room with very large windows. The room décor was great from the unique chair to the beautiful bed. And, I LOVED the animal striped bath robe - how fun!! The room was clean - which is most important. And the service was impeccable. As the bellman was leaving our room after delivering our luggage, my husband commented to that he was going to find an ice machine. He didn't ask the bellman to do it, he was on his way out the door. A few minutes later before my husband left, there was a knock at the door- it was the bellman with an ice bucket full of ice! Great service at the front desk too. Seriously, this hotel should be rated #1 in Minneapolis!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MyraVergani: Your comments put a huge smile on my face! I can't thank you enough! I'm thrilled that you loved the decor of our rooms. The designers put so much thought into everything when we renovated. They brought fun and chic together with classic style. The one item we didn't change in the rooms with the renovation is the beautiful head and foot boards. It would have been a crime to get rid of them. They are just too lovely! Thank you for the comments about impeccable service. I'm so glad that our bellman anticipated your needs. We are so fortunate to have such amazing people representing The Grand. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Hopefully we can meet next time you visit us!
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This hotel is one of the best i've ever been, the rooms are nicely decorated, bathroom is enormous with a seperate shower and bath. There was even a tv above the bath. Bed was very good, other type pillows were delivered to my room within 10 minutes after asking for it.

The use of the swimming pool in the basement (athletics club) is complimentary.

Room service menu is also fine, reasonable prices and delivery fast delivery. Would really recommend this hotel when you are in the twin cities area.

I had a room that only had a window that was facing the atrium, not much daylight came in which made the room a bit dark.

Location is superb, downtown, near all the restaurants and offices and 2 block from the train which brings you to the airport.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a window that is facing the street, it will give you daylight when compared...
Green Features: You can request to skip the daily room cleaning, which is a nice feature.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear nicadago: I was elated to read your fantastic comments! Thank you kindly! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the room decor and our spacious, luxurious bathrooms. We completed an extensive renovation to the entire hotel a few years back and couldn't be happier with the outcome. It's great that you had a chance to take advantage of the Lifetime Fitness and enjoy some delicious food in the comfort of your room. I hope you had a chance to visit our bar, The Six15 Room and try some of our bartenders creative concoctions. If not, maybe next time. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We can't wait for you to return!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We traveled to Minneapolis for a friend's wedding. Having never been to the city, we were grateful for the Grand's central location so that we could explore the downtown area. The hotel was a quick walk to shopping, restaurants, and the river. I ran from the hotel to a trail along the Mississippi River on Saturday morning of our stay then hopped in the spa for a great 1 hour massage. It was easy to schedule and the therapist was very good and very professional. The room itself was nice, not your cookie cutter decor and the black outs curtains were a nice touch. The lobby is interesting, very trendy, although my guess is that they'll have to redecorate often to not appear dated. Our only snag was that when we arrived early on Friday they didn't have any rooms ready. There were quite a few of us who arrived at the same time, and it was before check in time, so it was understandable. They took our name and cell phone numbers and promised to call in the order we arrived when rooms were available. A fair system in theory, although they forgot to add us to the list because a computer was down and they gave rooms to a few people who walked in after us just because their timing was lucky. The Houston Astros were in town and staying at the Grand so I am wondering if that's why we waiting so long. Lastly, the gym next store that is available for hotel guests is gorgeous. It has a beautiful pool, full basketball court and your standard gym equipment, plus a healthy snack bar.

Room Tip: The hotel is across the street from another tall building so it blocks a lot of the sunlight--at lea...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear travelmum21: I loved that you noticed and appreciated our dedication to wellness! We try to make it convenient for travelers to stay healthy while away from home. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the comfort and decor of the hotel. We completely renovated just a few years ago, replacing everything in the guest rooms, meeting rooms, all public space, lobby and bar. The design team did a phenomenal job creating the quirky Kimpton feel while maintaining the history of the building. We try to accommodate early arrivals whenever possible, but the challenge tends to be guests staying late, guest coming in early and having specific room requests and the logistics of moving guests through the hotel. Thanks so much for writing about us and we hope to see you again next time you're in Minneapolis!
austin, texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

So I love Kimpton Hotels. I have stayed in multiple Kimptons in DC, one In Portland, and one in Denver. To be honest, the Grand does not have their act together. There is little “funky” about this hotel. They offer $5 vouchers for electing not to have your room cleaned, making you feel like you are paying $5 to have your room cleaned. Feels really weird. Also, vacuuming the halls at 9:30 in the morning: is this really necessary? I happened to be “home” when the woman came to check the mini-bar and when I opened the door she literaly scurried away and I had to call after her to find out why she wanted in to the room. The front desk knows ZILCH about local eating. I looked up good places on Yelp and Eater, then sought their opinion. They had never heard of James Beard award winning restaurants that are literally within 3 blocks of the hotel. There is a door-man, but he does not EVER open the door. I had a package waiting at the front desk that was not delivered to my room until I requested them to check to see if I had any mail. At least a quarter of the rooms do not have windows to a street, but rather look into a narrow courtyard with rather icky lighting. Also, you have to lug your suitcase up a flight of stairs when you arrive, with NO ONE to help you. What sort of Kimpton is this? Clearly these people need some education on what it means to be a part of this chain. My room happened to be mostly lovely. Some essential things were errant, like really treacherous footboard posts that jump out to bruise your thighs when you walk around the foot of the bed, combined with NO nightstand table next to the near side of the bed, so that you must walk around the bed every time you want to set something on the nightstand. The split shower and bath in the bathroom were nice. Oh my goodness, I nearly forgot: no dresser, no drawers, no space to unpack your folded clothes. The closet has hangers, sure, but the shelf in the closet is occupied by a large folded blanket. There is also a small tree trunk shaped “table”, though it could serve as a stool. Anyway, I had to move it to make space to do yoga in the room. Oh my goodness, talk about plastic fumes. It is awful. Absolutely awful. It is apparently an extruded plastic stool painted silver and all those vapors are festering in there, so how many nasty vapors are we breathing because of this nasty stool/table thing? YUCK. Really, you think I am over reacting, but it was gagging. For more than a day afer I moved it, when I would lie down to do shivasana, I could smell the nasty nasty uber-plasticy smell. I would check out the Ivy or one of the other more elite hotels here, even though I love the Kimpton. The service just is not available here. I did not use their awesome looking gym or the overpriced spa (comment based on Yelping other local spa prices).

Room Tip: ask for a room "with an outside window" or you will be stuck staring at your neighbors acr...
Green Features: Kimpton hearts the environment, one of the main reasons I choose Kimpton. That and civil rights! Hurrah Kimpton!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Zuuel: Thanks for the feedback regarding your stay with us this week. We really appreciate your mention of our Choose to Conserve program, as we think it's a great way for our guests to save money while helping to protect the environment, too. A helpful tip for next time you visit might be to try and upgrade to one of our Premier rooms, as they tend to have better city views and more space for yoga! Which reminds me...Lifetime Fitness runs our gym and they offer free yoga classes to our hotel guests (not to mention spinning and aerobic classes, all held in the best hotel gym you'll likely ever see anywhere). Again, thanks for your review, and we hope to see you next time you visit Minneapolis.

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!