“Not the greatest 'Pet Friendly' Kimpton Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Offers & Announcements
2014 FREE Valet Parking
Ranked #4 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Not the greatest 'Pet Friendly' Kimpton Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

While the hotel is " grand" I found the amenities to be a bit lacking. Clean, centrally located, friendly staff....all true. The suite has oodles of space, but it is setup in an awkward manner. In order to get to the closet You must walk through the living area....awkward. However: The suite does not have a decent place to apply makeup as all of the mirrors produced shadows. The dog biscuit jar was empty for our entire three day stay, we had to ask for a dog bed 3 times and when it arrived, it was too small for our dog. We also had to ask several people for the closest park to walk the dog. Enjoyed the Portland Monaco Kimpton Hotel much more.

Room Tip: Women should bring their own makeup mirror
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear TLo57: Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review. July has been our highest pet occupancy month. We had more pets in house the week of July 4th than we've seen in a long time, so we did run out of dog bowls and beds. In fact, we went out and bought a few more dog beds to accommodate all of the requests. We've also since ordered more pet amenities to insure we aren't short again. I regret that you were inconvenienced. There are a few nearby parks to walk your dog, so I will be sure that our newest front desk agents are aware of this. Hopefully you'll return with your dog in the future and give us another shot! Thank you for sharing your experience.

448 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I just got back from Minneapolis where I was traveling on business and the Grand Hotel is where I called home for 3 nights. I was greeted as I emerged from my taxi by the bellman who welcomed me to the hotel and assisted me inside with my bags. The hotel room wasn't ready as I arrived quite early but they took my phone number and called me as soon as the room was ready which was still earlier than regular check-in time. I must say, my room was absolutely GORGEOUS! I was beyond impressed with the layout, decor and special touches throughout the room. The staff were friendly & helpful and the location was fantastic. I was attending a conference at the Hyatt Regency as well as a convention at the Convention Centre and both were within a 10-15 minute walk. It was also nice to have the main shopping/dining strip of 7th ave just short 2 blocks away. What a beautiful city, fantastic hotel, wonderful service and overall amazing trip. I would 100% recommend the Grand Hotel Minneapolis to anyone traveling for business or pleasure!

Room Tip: Request to be away from the elevator if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Gabrielle P: Thank you for these amazing comments! I’m thrilled that you are now a fan of The Grand! I’m glad the hotel, location and friendly staff perfectly fit your needs. Since you were on business this past visit, hopefully you’ll have a reason to visit us again on pleasure. We’d love to give you some recommendations for some fun local activities and visit with you at wine hour! Thanks so much for this complimentary review! Come see us again!
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Just back from Minneapolis and a stay at the Grand Hotel. Even before we arrived, I received a confirmation of my request for a higher floor room and wasn't disappointed when we saw it. Check in was very swift and really friendly. The hotel itself is probably one of the city's grand old dames given a very modern and stylish interior workover. Some might find it a little idiosyncratic and quirky but I liked it because it seemed to work. I loved my room - it was tasteful, quiet, and spacious with a work desk and an leather arm chair and foot stool. Furnishings were tasteful and the bed was hard to get out of..it was so comfortable. One of the most impressive things about the Grand (and I guess Kimpton) is its serious efforts at being green. the refillable toiletries, the $5 off for not having housekeeping do your room and so on. There was everything we needed thoughtfully included - iphone dock, an iron, umbrella, keurig coffee maker.. My other favourite thing were the free bikes from the lobby. The gentleman at reception was kind enough to adjust the bikes for us and showed us a good route around very bikeable Minneapolis. That was terrific! Saw a lot more of the city than if we had gone on foot or cab..and enjoyed it tremendously. Didn't check out the room service or bar so can't comment. I would certainly recommend The Grand if you do stay in Downtown Minneapolis. Location wise it was close to the light rail stops, and walking / easy biking distance to heaps of things.

Room Tip: We requested and got a high floor - 10th, big, quiet and bright room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear seanbeaver: Your feedback makes me so proud to represent this lovely hotel! I love that you noticed our quirkiness. When renovating, we tried to maintain the historic feel of the building while adding a bit of Kimpton flair. Thank you for the comments about our eco-friendly practices. It’s incredibly important to us. I’m glad that you made use of our bikes. I hope you got to use the brand new red custom Kimpton bikes. They are so much fun! Be sure to check out our bar, The Six15 Room next time you’re here. We recently updated the menu and there are some delicious specialty cocktails that you have to try. Thanks so much for this fantastic review!
Mpls
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I took a weekend staycation to celebrate our anniversary. Everything was perfect. The room and hotel were gorgeous. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The location was close to everything. Loved nightly wine social hour, and the Lifetime Fitness that was available (Note: we took a Saturday morning Spin class together. You have to sign up ahead of time. If they run out of bikes and a member wants to take the class, they warn you that you will have to give up your bike). Had Dinner at Rare in the hotel and it was great.

We would definitely come back again! Thank you for a lovely weekend!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear MelMpls: Happy belated Anniversary! I'm so pleased that your celebratory weekend at The Grand was so lovely! It's great that you had time to take advantage of wine hour, Lifetime and Rare. Hopefully you'll make The Grand your Anniversary hotel. We'd love to be part of your tradition. Thank you for the feedback!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The front desk clerk was very friendly and competent. She provided us with our keys promptly and informed us that wine was being served for about an hour. She asked us about our trip and what we were planning to do in Minneapolis. We asked for a room away from the elevator, in a high floor, in a quiet location. They hit the mark. The room was roomy and the bed was one of the most comfortable that I have ever slept in. We also received a complimentary bottle of water. The restroom was attractive and had nice toiletries. When I realized that I had forgotten to pack my shaving cream, they provided that free of charge. Given our experience with another Kimpton hotel (albeit in Chicago) this room met our heightened expectations. When it rained the next day, they provided us with complimentary use of hotel umbrellas which we used for two days. While we were there, the Boston Red Sox were staying there. In spite of this, the hotel staff still attended to our needs. When it was time for us to leave, check out was very smooth. The door man saw me going to the exit with my and my wife's luggage and he and a porter helped me get it out the door. I appreciated the fact that the door man offered to get me a cab even though I was waiting for my wife to bring the rental car around.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators and in a quiet area.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear CalAlum Traveler: I'm thrilled that you felt well taken care of at The Grand! It's our priority to connect with each guest, anticipate your needs and continually make sure that you are enjoying yourself. I'm glad that you took advantage of our nightly complimentary wine hour. It's a great way to unwind from a busy work day or a day of sightseeing. Thank you for mentioning the complimentary shaving cream. We have a neat program called Forgot It We Got It where guests can request items they forgot to pack. It's super convenient! I hope you'll come back and do it all over again! Thank you for the excellent review!
Minnetonka, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I stayed here for a wedding that was held here, an old-fashioned downtown elegant wedding that the Grand staff pulled off perfectly. I couldn't have been more impressed. The room was roomy and well appointed, all staff were friendly. The bed was comfortable, the towels were plump, the shampoo and conditioner were high quality. The pool connected to the club was a great thing - I got in some swims to minimize the extra calories from the wedding. The location couldn't be better - Nicollet Mall is right there, Hennepin is close, the river, Guthrie and stone arch bridge are all just blocks away - yet at night it was very quiet in the room. I had a dog who was in the wedding in my room, and I got special bowls and a mat for him. The government center park next door is perfect if you have a dog, by the way! Check in and out took seconds - literally. This isn't a big hotel so you get a lot of personal attention. I was impressed. It was a great wedding and I can't imagine it happening at any other hotel other than this one. It is over 100 years old and the connection with the past is immortalized in many old photographs. This is the perfect place for anything you need to be in Minneapolis for - trust me.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Jeff M: Wow, what a lovely review! I'm so pleased that the wedding and hotel in general impressed you so much! Thank you for mentioning that we are a small hotel and therefore able to give each guest the personal attention they deserve. Everyone that works here makes a point to connect with each guest and it is so rewarding! I hope the pooch that was in the wedding enjoyed his stay too! Thank you for this gleaming review and I hope you'll come see us again!
Narrabeen, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

This was probably the best hotel I have ever stayed in.

It was a beautiful hotel, the staff were great and the room was lovely. I stayed for 4 nights for a conference and it was about a 10 minute walk to the convention centre, but it was easy enough because it was all flat.

Very helpful staff, easy check-in. They have lots of extra features for guests - wine tasting, free bicycles to ride around town.

There room was spacious and had all the creature comforts of home. I received a little note from the lady who attended to my room, with a bottle of water as a gift - very nice, personal touch.

I loved staying in this hotel so much, I tried to stay at other Kimpton hotels on my trip, but I had already booked hotels. If you join their loyalty club you get free wifi in the rooms too.

Highly recommend and would stay again - and at other Kimpton Hotels!

Green Features: I love that they have recycling bins available. Also, if you chose to not have your room cleaned, you can put a little note on the door and they will give you $5 credit for the restaurant/in-room dining. I didn't see that til the last day, and I definitely would have used that feature!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Lauren C: I can't thank you enough for this marvelous review! I really appreciate all of your comments highlighting The Grand. I hope you'll have the need to return to Minneapolis and be our guest again. Sounds like Kimpton gained another loyal guest! Feel free to call me at the hotel and I'll be happy to tell you more about Kimpton and all of our other properties. Thank you so much!

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!