“Not up to expectations” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Offers & Announcements
2014 FREE Valet Parking
Ranked #4 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nepal
“Not up to expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I was quite disappointed by the dismal darkness in the room. I thought the window (one) would be overlooking the city as the website promised but all I could look out to was an enclosed balcony with no access. The lights had to be turned on throughout the day..another negative for me since I adore natural lighting. The air conditioning was noisy and there is nothing 'complimentary' in the room except for the internet that you can access if you become an 'intouch' member. Most hotels at this price at least have a tea and coffee maker but this hotel does not even give you bottled water for free which was very disappointing indeed. The room service has a 19% tax and 3% service charge and the 'classic eggs benedict' was not even worth all that money. However I enjoyed the bar in Six15 Room and thanked God for the good, friendly and helpful staff who made my stay tolerable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear anpas: I can't say for sure, but it's likely that you stayed in one of our interior atrium type rooms that look out to the atrium in the center of the building. I assure you that the exterior rooms do provide excellent natural light, especially the corner rooms. You are always welcome to request corner rooms, high floors, etc. and we do everything in our power to honor guest requests. We don't want to clutter the rooms, but we do offer Keurig coffee makers upon request. You can request them when you make your reservation or when you get here. In addition to the complimentary wifi for Kimpton In Touch members, we also offer a $10 credit to the honor bar per stay, so you can grab a snack or beverage on us. I'm glad you enjoyed the Six15 Room and the friendlienss of the staff. Hopefully you'll return and give us another shot. Thank you for the review.

476 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Turkish first
Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I'm a Kimpton fan generally but a huge fan of this Kimpton in particular. This was my third stay at the Grand, and I can't imagine staying anywhere else when I visit the Twin Cities. It's cozy and intimate without being too small, the rooms are modern but won't offend those with classic tastes, and the location is great whether you're visiting on business or pleasure. If it happens to be snowing in April (which it was last month, sigh), the skyways connecting the Grand to nearby office buildings allow you to get coffee, meals, and other sundries without ever having to brave the elements.

Note: it may be worth confirming, but I was told on my last trip (4/13) that the parking garage attached to the Crowne Plaza no longer offers in/out privileges, so self-parking is no longer the $20/day flat fee it used to be. The parking situation is really the only downside to the Grand, but it won't keep me from returning again and again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Amanda G: I appreciate your loyalty to Kimpton and The Grand Hotel! I bet you're already a member, but if not, you must sign up for the Kimpton In Touch loyalty program. I love your description of the feel of the hotel. I couldn't have written it better! Unfortunately, that is true about the parking at the Crowne garage. I know we'll see you again either way, but we are working on a plan that will make valet far more convenient for our guests. See you soon!
Aspen, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My wife and I spent a weekend in Minneapolis and stayed at the Grand Hotel upon advice of a colleague of mine. We found the hotel to be perfectly located in the center of downtown (Tip - use the Skyways to walk everywhere downtown!). Rooms were spacious and well appointed, staff was friendly and helpful. We traveled with a baby and the crip provided was high quality and clean.

Be aware that if you drive you need to drop your car at the valet on 7th St, not on 2nd Ave. where the main entrance is. A bit confusing but once you check in you'll be happy you're there!

Room Tip: We choose the "Luxury Suite with King Bed" and it was huge! Plenty of room for us and our...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear HotelAspen: I'm thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your visit with us! You and I have already communicated via email, but I just wanted to post a quick note thanking you for this lovely review. Come see us again when you're in town! -Hayden
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I will say this is not the same hotel I remember from 10 years ago. Looked as if there are new owners perhaps. Still a nice hotel and enjoyed my stay. Room was much different than I recall but the bathroom was still spectacular. Great water pressure in the showers, which is one of my pet peeves when it is absent.

Had a chance to enjoy room service. It was excellent and arrived promptly. The hotel is located in the central business area, but not the centre of the entertainment area. Personally, I prefer my hotel to be in a quiet area and this hotel meets that standard. My only issue was being told to have the valet assist with taxi service. What made that an issue is the valet is on corner of the building and it was January in Minneapolis. Not a pleasant experience and we ended up sorting this out ourselves. Or, maybe it was just a clever strategy by the bellman to avoid the cold as well. If that was the case, kudos lad. I don't blame you for that at all.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear BPreston310: Thanks so much for your comments. You are correct, The Grand is under new ownership as of September of 2010 and is now a Kimpton Hotel. If you're not familiar with Kimpton, we are a boutique hotel restaurant company with about sixty properties across the US. We are a different kind of hotel company, in a great way! The Grand was completely renovated when we took over and you can definitely see the Kimpton flair in the design. The valet is located on the corner of the block, but we are working on a plan that will be far more convenient for our guests.
Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My daughter and I were visiting colleges in the area and I booked this room because it was a Kimpton property.

On the plus side: The room was large and clean. The beds were very comfortable! The staff was friendly and polite.

However, I was disappointed with the quality of the accommodations. Starting with the valet parking situation - it was around the corner from the main entrance of the hotel and not clearly marked. I had to enter the hotel to ask the front desk person where to park. We had a late-night check-in, but the 24-hour valet was unmanned when I actually figured out how to get back to the valet station with all of the frustrating one-way and turn restricted streets of Minneapolis.

The flooring in our room was a strange rough and unattractive carpet. And all of the bathroom fixtures were loose. So when you turned the faucets on, the handle and stem wiggled considerably in the wall and counter - faucet fixtures felt cheap. Even the toilet handle felt like it was about to fall off.

The friendly late night staff misstated the hours of breakfast service for Saturday morning, so we were surprised and disappointed to see that the restaurant serving breakfast was not to open until 10 am (we were checking out at 8 am).

I want to say these inconveniences were magnified by a long day with a late-night-check-in (11 pm). But I purposefully chose this hotel because we were on a tight schedule and didn't want to deal with any "motel-like" surprises or disappointments. I just wanted to check-in, shower, sleep, eat and continue with our trip well-rested.

I must say, we did not have time to check out anything other than the room and lobby. However, overall, I was not impressed and will not assume that the Kimpton stamp means top notch accommodations.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear NJGardenGirl: Thanks for the note about the spacious, tidy rooms and comfy beds! We have the best housekeepers and they are committed to perfection. I love our beds too! I'd move into the hotel if I could. Yes, the valet set-up can be a little confusing at times since the street in front of the hotel is a bus only zone, but I assure you that we are working on a plan to improve it. The note about the fixtures surprised me and I assure you it's not typical. In regards to the restaurant hours, they are supposed to open at 9am on the weekends, so I'm not sure what the deal was that day, but I'll address it with Lifetime Fitness, their owner. Hopefully you will return in the future when you have a bit more time and take advantage of our complimentary nightly wine hour, The Six15 Room lounge and the huge Lifetime Fitness facility. Thanks for the feedback.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Can't say enough good about this place. Its small enough to feel homey and special, but large enough to have everything I need. Friendly staff, commentary wine/salmon, spotless room and good value for luxury accommodations with high quality sheets/towels. Loved taking a hot bath while watching a TV built in the wall in front of me. Plenty of shelves, drawers, closets...tile and granite, etc. We ordered coffee and it was delivered in less than 5 minutes! What was missing in the bathroom, however, was a basket of lotions, bath salts, etc. as there was shampoo, conditioner and body wash provided in the shower. Ahhh...I WILL be back for more pampering next time!

• Stayed April 2013
Dear HHS71: I love that you appreciated the intimate feel of the hotel. With only 140 rooms, our staff is able to focus on each guest and make genuine connections. Our frequent guests often tell me that they feel at home here. That's exactly what we are going for! I'm glad you felt that too. I'm so glad that the room was perfectly suited to your needs. Isn't saoking in the tub while watching your favorite show the best? Thanks for the suggestion about the basket of salts and lotions. We'll see you next time! Let us know if we can help you with a massage appointment at Lifespa in the hotel. They're pretty darn good at pampering!
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My daughter and I were in Minneapolis attending a dance convention. The location is great and the staff is outstanding. They were very helpful in giving us suggestions on what to do in the city during our free time. Free coffee and newspapers are always a bonus for me. Thanks for a fantastic week end

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lisa M: Your are very welcome! Thanks for being our guest. I appreciate the kind comments about the staff. I agree, they are outstanding and always have the best local recommendations. Most of them have lived here much of their lives, so they know the city like the back of their hand. We look forward to welcoming you back! Thanks for the review.

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!