“Ny quality boutique hotel and minneapolis price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Offers & Announcements
Get A Double Upgrade!
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lake Grove, New York
“Ny quality boutique hotel and minneapolis price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Luxurious ny style boutique hotel at a minneapolis price. All the amenities. The gym is out of this world. Great location right on the skyway. Can walk to any of the local favorites in this midwestern gem

• Stayed March 2013
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear mkphi75: Thank you for comparing us to a luxurious NY hotel! That is quite a compliment and we'll take it. We definitely do have a lot going for us, from the impressive gym to our convenient downtown location. When you return, be sure to check out the specialty cocktails and delicious food in The Six15 Room directly off the lobby. You won't be sorry. Thanks so much for this gleaming review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Turkish first
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My company is headquartered in Minneapolis so I travel there often. For years I stayed at the big chains and they were nice. Westin and Marriott are both great options for downtown Minneapolis...until I saw The Grand on my corporate travel sight. It was literally across the street and the pictures of the gym is what made me decide to stay. However, the service, atmosphere, food and decor make me choose The Grand now every time I am in Minneapolis. It is a swanky, beautiful, fun place that always makes me feel special. It is quickly becoming a home away from home every time I am in Minneapolis.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Laretha H: I love that our team always makes you feel special when you stay with us! It is our goal to make a personal connection with each guest and show you that your experience genuinely matters to us. That's what sets us apart from the big chains. Because we have only 140 rooms, we are able to dedicate the necessary attention to each and every guest we encounter. We encourage our team to be themselves and relate to our guests. Your comments prove that we are nailing it! I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Thanks for making The Grand your home away from home!
Southern MN, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed at the Grand Hotel on March 1-3, 2013. Great place to stay. if you are not an InTouch member of the Kimpton brand, it is very well worth it to join even for one stay. You get free wifi in the rooms, and a discount off of the mini-bar items in your room. It is also worth mentioning any room preferences you might want. If the place is not full, they will grant special requests and get you some other in-room perks. I had read that there was not a coffee maker usually in the rooms, so I requested one. When we got there, it was in the room. A nice Keurig machine with everything we needed. Also, a very nice touch, was a complimentary bottle of champagne, and a nice note from the concierge. My only complaint of the whole stay is the parking situation, which is not the fault of the hotel itself. They do provide a valet for $30.00, but we opted to park in the ramp across the street. It was $20 per night. And, despite having elevators,skyway access, etc, you still have to traverse some stairs to get from the ramp to the hotel. Crossing the street outside is probably the simplest option.......as the skyway route is not intuitive or well-marked.

Overall a great hotel and great service. We will choose this place again for sure. There are fabulous places to eat in the area, and most are accessible from the skyway before 10:00pm.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are great. Great view and bright. Awesome bathroom. Ask for one, and you might get luc...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Drtrotter: I can't thank you enough for this great review! You're right, t's definitely worth while to join our complimentary loyalty program, Kimpton In Touch. Free wifi, $10 credit to the honor bar, selection of personal preferences and credit towards complimentary nights are some of the benefits. We take our members preferences seriously and honor them whenever possible. We are working on some changes to our parking situation that will improve the guest experience. Thanks so much for writing about us and we look forward to your return!
Warr Acres, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We arrived fairly late on a Thursday evening and checked in at the front desk. The front desk person, Thomas, was on top of things and brought out a package that was waiting for us that we weren't even aware was there.

The lobby of the hotel was modern, yet comfortable. It had a nice ambience for lounging and chatting, with the bar nearby for drinks. I loved our room! The rooms was spacious, the bed was so comfortable and the linens just felt luxurious. There was plenty of light and ample room for clothing. The couch and desk were very nice to have. The bathroom was very nicely updated and the towels were nice and fluffy.

We ate dinner at the sushi restaurant in the hotel and thought it was delicious.

I have to say that having the town cars just outside the doors made the trip so easy. We had no idea where we were going and had not rented a car. It was much nicer than riding in a regular cab!

The Grand sent me a review to fill out, which I gladly did. I even received a real reply from the Assistant General Manager, Brian Jessen, not an automated response.

From arrival to departure and beyond, the staff at The Grand was professional, courteous and helful. When we return to Minneapolis, we will definitely stay at The Grand again.

Room Tip: If you aren't sure about which room to get, call the hotel. They won't steer you wrong.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Rachelle A: We loved having you as our guest! Thank you so much for this excellent review. I'm so glad you made a connection with Thomas. We are lucky to have him! The design team did a fantastic job selecting the decor for the rooms and public areas. I agree, they created such a welcoming ambiance. We take such pride in it. Brian Jessen and I make a point to personally respond to all guest satisfaction surveys. Your experience is so important to us. We'll see you next time you're in town!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was on a business trip just for one night and stayed at this hotel--I actually wished I was staying for longer! The room was not huge but big enough with really nice decor--it felt more personal than a standard hotel room and the desk was especially nice for working purposes. The bed was very comfortable and I slept better than I do in most hotel rooms. Also the location of the hotel is great, easy to walk anywhere downtown.

The main draw for me to this hotel was the gym--it is a Lifetime Gym that is attached to the hotel and free for members to use. Members are also able to take classes so I took a 6 AM class the morning I was there--it was awesome, a tough workout and I never felt like I wasn't welcome or anthing since I wasn't a member.

I would say the service was good--everyone I ran into was very friendly and I didn't have any issues. I couldn't find the valet--literally asked 3 or 4 different people and finally just ended up parking across the street in the garage there (which was actually cheaper so that was fine). This one totally could have been my own fault but I saw no signs or anything!

I will be in Minneapolis frequently for work and am hoping that I can stay here every time--especially to try more classes at the gym!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear KDubs 100: I wish you could have stayed with us longer too! I love that you plan to make The Grand your home when in Minneapolis. I'm so pleased that you find our rooms comfortable, attractive and convenient to work in. The interior design team had that in mind when planning the design and decor. Complimentary use of Lifetime Fitness for our guests is indeed a fantastic perk. What an impressive facility! Our valet zone is located just one block down from the hotel entrance on the corner. We are hoping to relocate the zone for easier access. Thank you for this stellar review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
arlington, va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Nice decor, well sized room with lots of drawers and a large bathroom. The bed was comfy and seemed particularly long--perfect for the NBA players we saw arriving on the last night we were there. Excellent desk area. Had high definition television feed. Outstanding gym--something like 50,000+ square feet. The hotel is connected to the downtown skywalk system. We ate at the restaurant Rare one night--steak was OK but roasted beets and brussel sprouts were delish, service was very nice. I had two quibbles--there were vehicles (buses?) that idled outside at three in the morning and I had a hard time getting the room to the right temperature. Might ask for a room that does not look over bus idle street.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear cathleenmarie: Thank you for the comments! The hotel was completely renovated recently and a highly regarded interior design firm was responsible for selecting all of the decor. I'm so pleased that it appeals to you! Most of our bathrooms are unusually large and many also feature deep soaking tubs and separate showers. We do indeed have several rooms with "tall" beds that are slightly longer than a standard king size bed. The Lifetime Fitness facility is definitely impressive. It's such an awesome amenity for our guests. We are connected to the city's skyway system, which makes getting around super convenient when it's nine degrees outside! In regards to the street noise, we are always happy to accommodate a high floor request. Thank you for the review and I hope you return!
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I was on a business trip to the Minnesota Opera and dreading the idea of spending a week in Minneapolis in the middle of January on my birthday. But The Grand made it all completely enjoyable and quite wonderful. The service from the staff was attentive during my entire stay and the upgrade to a suite was an added bonus. The gym and pool are a great plus and definitely among the best I've seen at any hotel. The building was originally a private club which gives it a very distinctive feel. The wine receptions are not all they're cracked up to be but that's a small quibble. The hotel restaurant, Rare, has a very good sushi bar and for beef lovers there are plenty of excellent options. The lobby bar has a semi-private room that I used to celebrate my birthday with friends. The leopard skin chairs and steer and buck head theme going on is a bit amusing but after a few martinis who's noticing. Overall one of the best business hotel stays.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Norman R: Happy Belated Birthday! I am elated that you enjoyed your time with us and celebrated your birthday in the Six15 Room. That private area of the lounge is perfect for those type of get togethers. I'm glad you took advantage of Lifetime Fitness. It is such a wonderful amenity to offer our guests and one of the most luxurious in the country. I hope you aren't traveling on business next year on your birthday, but if you end up in Minnie again, we'd love to help you celebrate!

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!