“boutique hotel experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Special Offer
2014 FREE Valet Parking
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bloomington, Minnesota
“boutique hotel experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is a lovely and lesser known hotel in DT Mpls. It is housed in the old Mpls Athletic Club and it has character that is completely absent in new buildings. The rooms are fabulous, especially the corner rooms. The furnishings and trim are a level well above a standard hotel room. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian J, Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel! We love it when our guests have such a good time that they feel the need to spread the word. Hopefully we wont be one of the hidden gems for long!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Turkish first
GRAND FORKS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My staff and I stayed at The Grand Hotel in Minneapolis for nearly a week in October. We could have done better for much less.
The hotel has significant service issues and although the front desk tries, service is sub standard for this class of hotel or any class for that matter.
For example, since the rooms do not have coffee makers a coffee service is offered. The first morning my service did not arrive at all. The next day it arrived but was decaf which was not what I had ordered. The third morning I finally got my coffee but my pre ordered room service breakfast never did arrive. In fact, room service was a real crap shoot. If it did arrive it was either late, not what was ordered or both.
The rooms are also hit and miss. Some are good sized with decent outlets etc. for business and some are not good for business at all. All the rooms however have clunky and pretentious furniture and curtains that are hard to draw and are themselves clunky.
Wake up calls do not always come and when they do the caller sounds even more tired than the person he is waking.
The front desk tries but low level of service is a management issue and Kimpton would be well advised to address it.

Room Tip: Make sure to request a room with adequate outlets if you need them.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I am a Kimpton In Touch member and really like the hotels. This was our first time at this hotel (early Oct 2012) and I was not as pleased as my experiences at other Kimpton properties. I asked the front desk for a couple of things over our 4 days there and not a single request was ever fulfilled. Nothing fancy; I asked for some more clothes hangars in the room and asked for transportation twice at specified times. Zero response to all requests after assuring me it would be taken care of. It was the same person at the desk each time so maybe it was just him. We just made do with what we had in the closet and we got our own transportation.
If you have never stayed in a Kimpton property before be forewarned: there are no coffee makers in the rooms. Ever. You get coffee in the lobby in the morning which is OK. Except....when they run out and don't replace it in a timely manner. This happened on both Sat and Sun at this hotel. I hung around the lobby with other disgruntled caffeine addicts waiting for more coffee and finally gave up. I'm sure they sent out a refill and I'm also sure it took a while. None of the staff in the area seemed to be the slightest bit bothered or curious as to why all these people were hanging around so I'm guessing this is the norm.
As far as this particular hotel: overall it is nice but DO NOT stay on the top floors if you can help it. The building is old and appears to have been renovated....at least cosmetically. But the availability of hot water on the top floors is abysmal. It takes forever to get hot water in your sink or shower and when it gets there....watch out! My husband got scalded because the temperature valve adjusts at about the same rate the hot water gets there. Which is to say, very, very slowly. It was quite cold in the city during our visit and every one of our showers were miserable. Either way hot or too cold. We tried and tried and just could not get the water adjusted. So we took very hurried showers and just had to deal with it.
The bathrooms are spacious but only one sink. The bed was moderately comfortable.
The one very big negative: we were there from Thursday through Sunday and never had housekeeping. They showed up so late every day that we were back in the room and getting ready to go out. We were in town for a wedding and had multiple functions to attend. Since we were on the bride and groom's clock we didn't have the luxury of vacating our room for house keeping. But then I've never stayed in a hotel where they show up between 4 and 5 in the afternoon. It got very tiresome by the time we checked out.
Bottom line: would I stay at this hotel again? Not if others were available.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I'm a big fan of Kimpton hotels, but the Grand Hotel is a fantastic hotel, period. I travel to Minnesota several times a year for business and I'll stay at the Grand every time. It's nicely appointed, meticulously cared for, clean, and comfortable. The rooms are spacious and modern, and the bathrooms are some of the nicest I've ever seen in a hotel.

In-room dining and the 615 Room are both great, too. The location is fantastic if you have business downtown, but even if you don't, you'll want to stay here. Make sure you use the gym if you visit - it's a Lifetime Fitness facility, and it blows all other hotel gyms out of the water.

Room Tip: To maximize natural light in your room, request a corner room on a high floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you kindly for the complimentary review! I am so delighted that you are a fan! I appreciate you making The Grand your home away from home. We're excited for your return!
WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is located downtown about 3 blocks from the lightrail. The decor is very modern and fun. The service was great and accomodating. We were there only for one night, but would stay again. The hotel is also pet friendly, I believe. It was a bit expensive, but we were given a room on the top floor which was nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I'm a loyal Kimpton guest and really appreciate Kimpton's service, unique themes and hotels, etc. The hotel staff did not disappoint, every single Kimpton employee was excellent--helpful, welcoming, attentive. I was traveling with my young child and they went out of their way to be engaging and welcoming, including getting him a welcome bag with goodies. The room was nicely decorated, though it showed more wear than any other Kimpton I've visited. The tub in the bathroom had some mold on the caulking all along the side of the faucet (so very visible) and I have never seen that at a Kimpton. The biggest issue, and unfortunately beyond Kimpton's control, is that there was a very loud noise all night long (all the time, really) right outside the hotel. Unsure if it's there daily or new or what it was even--it sounded like a helicopter landing--could have been a generator. We heard it loudly from our 7th floor room. Finally, I would not advise having breakfast at the on-site restaurant. Food was OK but service was very poor. We were literally the only diners that morning and there were 2 waitstaff but they mostly ignored us, didn't refill water or coffee, etc. That restaurant is not Kimpton-owned but is in the restaurant and the only place serving breakfast in the hotel. Overall, I was OK staying here, in particular because of the excellent staff and great location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your loyalty to Kimpton. I appreciate the kind comments about the staff! They are truly our greatest assett! I apologize for the noise disturbance, issues with the room and service in the restaurant. I assure you all will be addressed and I will share your comments with the owners and management of the restaurant.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

This is just a great hotel. As almost every Kimpton it
has style, is clean, features spacious rooms, an excellent restaurant
and very friendly employees. I really like the hospitality.
The only thing I did not like is that you can't take the toiletry articles with you.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for your loyalty to Kimpton! I'm so glad that we made you feel welcome. Because we are eco-friendly, we have the larger shampoo and conditioner bottles and pumps installed in the showers to reduce waste. However, we do have smaller bottles upon request, so feel to ask for them in the future. Thank you for the great review!

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!