“Cute boutique hotel downtown” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Offers & Announcements
2014 FREE Valet Parking
Ranked #4 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
WA
“Cute boutique hotel downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is located downtown about 3 blocks from the lightrail. The decor is very modern and fun. The service was great and accomodating. We were there only for one night, but would stay again. The hotel is also pet friendly, I believe. It was a bit expensive, but we were given a room on the top floor which was nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

476 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Turkish first
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I'm a loyal Kimpton guest and really appreciate Kimpton's service, unique themes and hotels, etc. The hotel staff did not disappoint, every single Kimpton employee was excellent--helpful, welcoming, attentive. I was traveling with my young child and they went out of their way to be engaging and welcoming, including getting him a welcome bag with goodies. The room was nicely decorated, though it showed more wear than any other Kimpton I've visited. The tub in the bathroom had some mold on the caulking all along the side of the faucet (so very visible) and I have never seen that at a Kimpton. The biggest issue, and unfortunately beyond Kimpton's control, is that there was a very loud noise all night long (all the time, really) right outside the hotel. Unsure if it's there daily or new or what it was even--it sounded like a helicopter landing--could have been a generator. We heard it loudly from our 7th floor room. Finally, I would not advise having breakfast at the on-site restaurant. Food was OK but service was very poor. We were literally the only diners that morning and there were 2 waitstaff but they mostly ignored us, didn't refill water or coffee, etc. That restaurant is not Kimpton-owned but is in the restaurant and the only place serving breakfast in the hotel. Overall, I was OK staying here, in particular because of the excellent staff and great location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for your loyalty to Kimpton. I appreciate the kind comments about the staff! They are truly our greatest assett! I apologize for the noise disturbance, issues with the room and service in the restaurant. I assure you all will be addressed and I will share your comments with the owners and management of the restaurant.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

This is just a great hotel. As almost every Kimpton it
has style, is clean, features spacious rooms, an excellent restaurant
and very friendly employees. I really like the hospitality.
The only thing I did not like is that you can't take the toiletry articles with you.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for your loyalty to Kimpton! I'm so glad that we made you feel welcome. Because we are eco-friendly, we have the larger shampoo and conditioner bottles and pumps installed in the showers to reduce waste. However, we do have smaller bottles upon request, so feel to ask for them in the future. Thank you for the great review!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

We love this hotel. Great rooms and comfy beds. Just a tad off some of the others as far as location, but only by a block or two. You can go straight into the skyway so not a big deal. A bit spendy at times but if you keep an eye on it you can stay cheap. We just stayed in a single king on a Saturday night for 119. The premiere king is like your own apartment with separate shower and tub. We have stayed in several others in the downtown and this is the best. We will stay here from now on anytime we can get it for under 200 a night. If you check around the block you can usually find parking for the weekend for around 10. Only a couple blocks from the light rail and Target field also.

• Stayed October 2012
We're so glad you are a fan of the Grand! Thank you for being our guest and we look forward to your future visits!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Very nice hotel with exceptional staff! They offer complimentary bikes for touring the city and for the runners, they have organized group runs! The rooms are nicely decorated and beds are comfy! The food was very good and they have great happy hour options in the lobby bar.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for the dazzling review! Hopefully we will see you again next time you are in Minneapolis.
Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Let me get the worst out of the way first. The breakfast concept is hopeless, dull, slow and best avoided. Dimly lit diner-style, worn, with forlorn looking people waiting for their breakfasts and trying to pass time. No good at all. When breakfast arrived it was fine, but who wants to have a long dull wait for coffee and muffins? The breakfast is so much out of step with the ambience and comfort of this hotel that you want to stop people in the lift and advise them to cross the road at have breakfast at the Crowne Plaza. Now, the rooms at the Grand Hotel are very comfortable, spacious, pleasant and with very very good sleep quality. Room service is fast, courteous, knowledgeable and the food excellent. Reception staff top quality too. The only thing about the spotlessly clean and lovely bathroom I'd change was the use of fixed-to-the-wall soap and shampoo dispensers. Do people want to carry a soap dish of shampoo from the shower to the bathtub? No, probably not. Yet, this is what you find yourself doing, probably chuckling but also wondering a little at the concept. On request, a coffee maker can be delivered to your room. I assume many guests do not know this but it is one of the tricks of the trade if you want to avoid the breakfast room. All in all I would be delighted to stay here again, put would make sure to put in a request for a coffee machine and I really would not bother with breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I am so sorry about your breakfast experience at Rare. The restaurant, Rare is actually separately owned and operated, so The Grand Hotel doesn't have any influence in their operation. As you can imagine, this presents difficult situations at times. However, I know that their ownership appreciates the feedback to help them improve, so I've made them aware of your review. I'm pleased that you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
Bethesda, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed 3 nights for business in rm 1108 , premier king. Positives: very comfortable bed, nice size bathroom, shower and bath tub, clean, good location. Very good restaurant.
Negative: bathroom amenities: very basic (shampoo, body wash, soap) no shower cap :-( . No fridge. İphone dock maybe for iphone 1 ??? İ have to get out of bed to turn lights on/off. No usb charger, no place to charge phone near bed at night. İ was promptly provided with a curling wand per my request, but i think it was a barbie curling wand, it dint even get hot! Water in bathroom came "yellow" on my first night only. On my 1st night, i woke up to smoking smell all over my room, so disgusting, coudnt go back to sleep, spoild my whole day. No smell next night, but trace smell underneath vents in rm, smell came back on 3rd night. Reception comment on this was : "oh, im sorry". This is definitely not a luxury hotel. Totally waste of alot of money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for the feedback. I’m glad that you were happy with the comfort of the bed, size of the bathroom, the restaurant and location of the hotel.

To clarify, in addition to the in-room C.O. Bigelow bath products, there is a list in each bathroom of “Forgot It We Got It” items that are available upon request. We have everything from shower caps, to USB cables to zip lock bags for your carry on liquids.

We do actually have mini bar fridges in every room. There are items for purchase in them, but there is extra space in case our guests need to refrigerate something.

As far as an outlet near the bed, all of our nightstands have built in outlets and signage to call attention to them. Each nightstand also has a lamp that is accessible from the bed.

I apologize for the unclear water. We had a plumbing emergency and had to shut the water off temporarily. When we turned the water back on, it ran unclear at first.

I apologize as well for the smell of cigarette smoke. The hotel is 100% non-smoking, but sometimes guests choose to smoke regardless. We charge a smoking fee when we know that someone has smoked in a guest room. I am so sorry that you were exposed to it. We are always happy to move guests to different rooms in situations like this.

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!