“The perfect place !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Special Offer
2014 FREE Valet Parking
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“The perfect place !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

A very nice, very clean boutique hotel. Corner rooms are very large and have a great view over downtown buildings.
Hotel staff :very helpful and very polite.
Hotel is from within walking distance of main attractions. One block away from the Light Train Metro Transit coming from the airport.
We would definitely choose this hotel again for our next visit to wonderful and surprising Minneapolis.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and have 4 large windows. Spacious !
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for the incredible review! I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We can't wait to have you as our guest again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Grand Hotel is in an older building (cornerstone reads Minneapolis Athletic Club 1912) which has been nicely renovated. This is a 15-story boutique hotel, whose ambience generally is that of a classy hotel with an old-fashioned feel, but with a number of off-beat touches thrown in (such as animal prints and loud wallpaper here and there), presumably to add a chic or hip factor. It is located on the opposite end of downtown from Target Field and Target Center, about a block from the Wells Fargo Center tower. This makes it within walking distance of most things downtown, including the ballparks and most major office towers. It is connected to the downtown Skyway system, so you can get pretty much anyplace downtown without going outside. I did not see a valet parking stand in front of the hotel nor did I see self-parking, but presumably they have it somewhere. The room was nicely furnished and comfortable, but was relatively small. The workspace was adequate, and there were plenty of electrical outlets. I never did figure out how to use the in-room internet, so had to use my own aircard. The bathroom was a bit cramped with relatvely little shelf space. Being a "boutique hotel," it did not have some of the standard conveniences such as being able to use your TV to check out (the front desk was friendly, but not all that efficient when I was trying to check out quickly to run to an early morning meeting). I would stay here again depending on the rate, but it probably would not be my first choice.

Room Tip: Ask for an outside facing room if that matters to you. Mine faced an interior atrium.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm glad it was a pleasant stay! I apologize for the delay at check-out. As an FYI, if you are in a hurry to check-out, feel free to call the hotel after you depart and we can email your receipt. Unfortunately, our valet stand is not directly in front of the hotel. It is located on the corner of 7th and 2nd because 2nd Ave. is a bus only zone. We are working on a plan to change this. Thank you for the review!
La Crosse, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We went to the Grand Hotel as a bit of a last minute arrangement. We got a great deal on a beautiful room. We were treated very well by the hotel staff, and thought the bed was excellent. We found the staff in the restaurant (Rare) to be exceptionally rude, but the hotel itself was wonderful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your weekend at The Grand! Thank you for the excellent feedback. I am sorry about your experience at Rare. The hotel doesn't own or operate the restaurant, but I assure you I will share your comments with their ownership.
Tecumseh, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The plain Jane exterior disguises the lovely interior and the great service that the Grand displayed during a recent weekend visit. Their recommendations for area sights and good eats were perfect. Their service was well beyond my expectations as my wife and I celbrated our 28th anniversary in Grand style.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Yes, the exterior can be a bit deceiving. I'm so glad you love the service and decor! We completed a full renovation when Kimpton took over and are so happy with the results. Thank you for all of the excellent feedback!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed here one night recently on business. I love several other Kimpton properties and The Grand did not disappoint. The room was fantastic. Super comfy king bed, gigantic bathroom with separate soaking tub and glass shower, nice work space, and quirky, pleasing decor. The staff members I encountered were all very friendly and accommodating. I'll now look first to book at The Grand on all future trips to MSP.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
I appreciate your comments about the hotel, guest rooms and our staff. Thank you! I'm so glad that your stay was comfortable and enjoyable. We'll see you again in the future!
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I went to the Grand for a little "staycation". I definitely picked the right hotel! My room was large, spacious, comfortable and beautifully decorated. The staff was eager to help with all my needs. Part of staying there is access to an amazing Lifetime gym and pool. They also have a daily happy hour in the lobby that is a great way to relax after a busy day of shopping or sight seeing.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for the Grand review! We are pretty proud of our little hotel and all of the amenities. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your time with us.
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We took advantage of the long holiday weekend for a "staycation" even though we're from the Minneapolis area. Brought our dog to the Grand Hotel for a night to celebrate my husband's birthday. I can echo everyone's positive thoughts on the hotel. It is beautiful- it is a bit odd to see such modern/trendy decor in a very historic place, but the rooms still retain their charm. The bed was heavenly and we had a beautiful corner room with a large bathroom. It was wonderful. SO quiet! And a TV just off the bathtub? Hello, luxury. Wonderful toiletries, robes to use, and nice minibar offerings. Plus, free wine at happy hour!

One of the most fun things for us was the "VIP" program- very important pet. We registered our dog ahead of time and they greeted her by name when we arrived and there was a bed and bowls in the room ready for her. Door tag to let others know there was a dog in the room was cute (and nice as a reminder for us to keep our voices down past doors with similar). Treats near the door to the hotel. All of this without a deposit OR a fee!!! WOW.

I realize that for non-dog people that probably all sounds silly, but for those of us who do travel with our dogs it is a refreshing change of pace to have our friend welcomed and even catered to. Adorable.

We've decided we'll be back at Christmas time to do Holidazzle and shopping. Pug in tow, of course! :)

Room Tip: Corner rooms allow more windows, space, larger bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian J, Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel! We love creating memorable experiences for ALL of our guests here! 2 legs, 4 legs, all are welcome! So glad to hear that you will be back soon for a Holidazzle weekend! We will make sure the treat jar is full!

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!