“Modern with Charm” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Offers & Announcements
20% Off + Dining Credit
Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in Minneapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Modern with Charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

The Grand Hotel is a luxury hotel in the heart of downtown Minneapolis. The common areas and rooms are updated but retain the historic character of the building. The staff is sharp, pleasant and attentive. The best amenity is the use of the attached full-sized health club.

The slight negatives are some rooms are quite small and some do not have much natural light. Also, the property is valet only.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I have stayed at this property on several occasions and it ranks as a favorite in Minneapolis for me. The building itself is really old but the rooms feel modern and cozy. The décor in the lobby is modern and artsy and feels like a boutique property. The best amenity is the fact that you can use the attached Health Club in the building for free. Also, the room service is excellent! If I could change one thing it would be how you actually enter the hotel. With the strange one way streets in Minneapolis you can’t actually drop your car in from of the hotel, you have to drive around the block and look for a valet booth. Also the only way to enter the lobby is up a set of stairs which can be tough when you have heavy luggage. There is an older man that watches the door and I feel bad having him lift my luggage so I always do it my self. This doesn’t stop me from returning here but it might bother some guests. Other than that I am a fan of Kimpton properties 

Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

This was our first visit to Minneapolis. We were shocked by the beautiful and vibrant downtown. The Grand Hotel is well positioned in the downtown area. It was built in 1912 as the Athletic Club of Minneapolis and converted into a charming hotel. We were disappointed upon arrival as we were greeted by steps and no staff to assist us get in with our luggage. They do have a hidden lift apparently for this purpose. Our room was a nice size and well decorated. The bathroom was large and contained a large counter PLUS shelves for your toiletries. That was a very pleasant surprise.

Room Tip: Just be sure to ask if you need help getting your luggage up about 8 steps.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Rooms were clean and well kept. Maybee slightly small. Staff was courteous and helpful with local restaurants. Negatives: no vending machines or anything open nearby after 10 PM and they would offer snacks in the rooms at rediculous prices. Elevators very slow. Negatives not worth getting upset over.....

• Stayed June 2012
Saline, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We just returned from a three night stay at the Grand Hotel in Minneapolis. My cousin was getting married in the area, and this was a central location. This is a gorgeous hotel! Very high class and for a certain type of person. There are no vending/ice machines. You have the choice of ordering room service, or taking snacks from your mini bar -- both are very pricy. There is no continental breakfast, but there is a "wine hour" each night in the lobby from 5-6 with appetizers, wine, sangria, iced tea, etc. There is also a coffee service each morning, but we never made it to that.
It's a gorgeous atmosphere in a nice part of town. Close to the lightrail and the bus stops right in front. However, for those traveling with children who require a stroller or elderly who are in some sort of scooter (we were both) there is a flight of stairs to even get up into the hotel...there is a SMALL lift elevator to the side, but the door man must operate it for you, and it runs very slow. Also, if you have a car, it costs $30 per night to park it there. This is a bit much in my opinion, but if you drive in, you really have no choice. And then you need to tip the valet each time (if you choose to do so).
The beds & pillows were SUPER comfy and I could have slept in it all day. The TV's were well equiped with most cable channels, had a clear picture, and of course, the Yoga channel was channel 1. The bathrooms are large and had a TV in front of the tub, which was separate from the shower. This is also a pet friendly hotel which is nice for those traveling with dogs. My favorite part would have to be the free lemon water in the lobby. I'd take my Klean Kanteen & fill it up multiple times a day :)
The fitness center isn't exclusive to the hotel, but you may utilize it if you stay there. We never used it, but saw it a few times and it was very impressive. Never saw the pool either. There are a couple of restaurants & also a Caribou Coffee located in the hotel. We did get manicures done at the spa on one of the days, and also it looked very high scale and classy, they were short staffed which did cause a problem for our small group. The receptionist had to step in to do some of our $60 manicures, and you could tell they were rushing to try to get all of us in. And these services were booked at least 4 months ago....all in all, not impressed with the spa. Very overpriced.
Would I stay here again? Probably. We got a good rate of $119 per night since it was a part of the wedding block. Would I pay the regular price of $300 per night? No. If you are into yoga, wine, being green and eating organic, this is the place for you. If you want an ice machine where you can get it yourself & not have to worry about tipping a bell-hop to bring it up for you, and don't want to spend $4.50 for a mini can of pringles or $5 for a vitamin water, you may want to look elsewhere.
My one tip would be to join the Kimpton club before your stay. This entitles you to $10 towards the mini bar, and free use of WiFi for your stay (normally $10 per day). That right there was worth the 15 mins it took me to sign up before we came.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I paid $139/night for my room at the Minneapolis Grand over Memorial Day weekend and it was a nice experience. The great service started out with the front desk having my pre-Fed Ex'd package waiting for me right at check-out (which I really appreciated). The absolute highlight of the property is the vast state of the art gym facilities (which double as a flagship location for Lifetime Fitness). I also appreciated the complimentary day-long coffee service in the lobby and simple touches like bicycles available for loan and morning jogs around the neighborhood with hotel staff. The location of the hotel is probably great if you're coming to downtown on business as it's centrally located. I was in town purely for fun and found myself hanging out mostly near Nicollet Mall (which didn't feel like an especially safe walk back to the hotel at night). My upgraded room (#1109) was rather small and had a horrible view into a cement wall, BUT the bathroom was extremely spacious and modern. Room service was a little spendy for what it was. But, all in all, for $139 this was absolutely a great value.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I was in town for work and decided to try another hotel than where I usually stay. I was very pleased with the Grand Hotel. I took a late flight and took a taxi to the hotel. For some reason it is hotel policy to drop off guest at the valet station around the corner from the front of the hotel. The valet immediately greeted me by name even though I had never stayed there before. Yeah I still don't know how he knew my name. Anywho he was quick to grab all my luggage and even my Carbou hot chocolate while I paid the taxi driver. He was very pleasant and escorted me to the front desk. I was checked in and in my room #809 super quick. I loved the decor of my room as well as it being super spacious. It really felt very upscale homey. Since I'm a Kimpton intouch member, I was able to get wifi and internet free everyday. The bathroom was nice and roomy too. My only issue is the need to add blackout curtain. Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!