“Great Amenities and Staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Special Offer
2014 FREE Valet Parking
Ranked #4 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Great Amenities and Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

My son and I went to Minneapolis to attend the Vikings-Raiders game and stayed at the Grand Hotel for 2 nights. The hotel is located in downtown Minneapolis very close to the Metrodome stadium. The hotel, which once used to be an athletic club, was acquired by the Kimpton group and renovated into a hip boutique style venue. Our room, which had 2 queen beds, was very large with modern upscale furnishings and amenities you would expect in a hipster type hotel. The bathroom was large with marble and other upscale features. Big plasma TV and the bed was extremely comfortable. The only negatives were that room service never came during the 2 days we stayed (which was not a big enough deal for us report it to staff) and the room temperature seemed finicky requiring me to adjust the thermostat several times over the course of our stay. The bartenders in the hotel's bar were outstanding. In sum, I would highly recommend this hotel when staying in Minneapolis.

Room Tip: Join the Kimpton loyalty program prior to booking the room to get special rates and free internet ac...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
AmandaParsons-GM, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Dear mike453,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at the Grand Hotel. I'm so happy you and your son enjoyed your visit. I appreciate your feedback about the service and thermostats. I am happy to report we are upgrading the thermostats this next year.
Thank you for complimenting our bartenders. We think they are extraordinary too!
I hope to welcome you back in the near future!
Go Vikings!

474 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Turkish first
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

This hotel was charming and immaculately clean...nice furnishings, bedding, design elements...great central location and nice staff...two things...dont run out of light beer on a weekend...especially the ultra 64 miller....viks vs raiders...also..train the front desk to know how to get places by showing people on the map you supply...we were sent 6 blocks in the wrong direction once and 5 blocks in the wrong direction another time..

It was too cold for this....dont blame it on the staff if you havent tested them to know their job...

Dear MarinaWinnipeg,
Thank you for your honest feedback about the directions you received from the front desk. Your comments have instigated an additional training opportunity for our team. Thank you!
It's feedback like yours that helps us improve on the Grand experience.
I hope to welcome you back very soon.
All my best,
Shoreview, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

I booked the Grand Suite for my wifes birthday. I called their 800 number to add a day. After pressing multiple buttons I got a Kimpton hotel agent that could not find the reservation. She transferred me to the hotels reservation where I was on hold for 5 minutes, then got disconnected. I then called back and was put on hold. I then called back at 8am to talk to the manager Larry and he was not in yet. If they cant handle reservations competently I felt it likely my stay would be unsatisfactory. I travel extensively and even the Holiday Inn and Marriott processes are better. The Grand certainly is not provideing 4 or star service in htis regard. I cancelled my reservation and will never know if this hotel is as bad as its reservation process would imply.

Dear mike m,
I am sincerely sorry for the issues you experienced during the reservation process. I can absolutely appreciate why you would cancel your reservation. Our team makes every possible effort to deliver on our promise of excellence, and it is very clear we did not meet your expectations in this situation. I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies.
Your comments have caused us to look at our reservation processes in greater detail as we would hate for another guest to have such an experience.
I can only hope you will consider staying with us again in the future. I am confident you did not have the true Grand experience.
Thank you for your honest feedback.
All my best,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I stayed 3 days at the Grand Hotel and had an excellent stay.

Room: I had a corner room on the10th floor that was great. The room was nice, the layout and decor was interesting, and I did not hear a sound from anywhere except some morning traffic 10 floors below.

Staff: The desk staff was cordial from the outset. I stopped in the lobby bar a couple of times and was treated as if I was a "regular." When I stood aimlessly in the lobby for a minute or two while waiting for a friend, the staff asked whether I needed any help.

Hint: Up the short flight of stairs out of the lobby, turn left, then right, and you arrive at Caribou Coffee.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
omaha, ne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

I have Hotel Palmor in Philadelphia to compare to this Kimpton in Downtown Minneapolis--and we choose a Kimpton because of that.
We arrived late--no doorman-
Staff is not uber friendly nor do they go out of their way to be friendly--we saw a doorman maybe twice--and i asked and she said they had 24 hour doormen--coffee saturday morning--empty and cream and milk not labeled--i asked which was which and they looked at me as if to say well poor and see -next morning they were labeled-coffee cups sat outside door ways the next morning from the previous day and i finally asked for them to be removed from the halls--all these are little things but they all make up for a great stay-life fitness center doesn't open until 7:00 am on weekends???? nor coffee-You all need to go to philly and take lessons on how to treat people--

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Stayed here last weekend with my husband for a wedding at the Graves. We have 5 children and were looking forward to getting away from the noise and chaos. Nothin' doin'. We came back from wedding around 9:30 to get a good nite sleep. Both zonked off right away only to be awoken by the noise of a headboard in the room next to us being banged against the wall repeatedly. These walls appear to be cement but OMG they seemed paper thin. I felt like I was in a bordello. This went on for at least 30 minutes at which point I called down to reception. They said they would go up to the room and ask them to be quieter. Not sure if they did. Noise continued including moaning and groaning. Noise got quieter eventually but it took me banging on the wall with my husband's dress shoe to end it. Had it not been midnite I would have asked to switch rooms. The next morning very loud and raucous voices from the same noisy neighbors. I could hear every word. Room Service was ok. Food was average. I got such a bad vibe I just don't think I can bring myself to stay here again. Perhaps your experience will be different. Needless to say all the reception lady said at checkout was, "I am sorry your stay did not live up to your expectations". Forgot to mention the horrible view of the very ugly Crown Plaza hotel across the street. Club pool and lockers were nice but that is Lifetime. Overall a disappointment.

Room Tip: perhaps choose a room that is on the opposite side from the Crown Plaza hotel view. Yuck!!!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at The Grand Hotel. Rooms large and decor great. Quiet. Staff very helpful. Workout facilities the best.

Room Tip: They're all good. Large. No noise.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!