“Excellent stay at the Grand” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel

You added The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, IL
“Excellent stay at the Grand”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2007

Just returned from a weekend at the Grand. It was great! The lobby was ok, nothing special. Our check-in was very smooth. They had us down for the wrong rate but changed it no problem once I pointed it out. The guest rooms are outstanding. Really on par with many supposedly fancier hotels I have stayed at. Immaculately clean and the bathrooms were super - huge with ample towels and amenities. There were some extra touches we liked too - free shoe shine and free wireless internet. Both came in handy. The bed wasn't super comfy, but the windows had great blinds and curtains that did a great job of keeping the light out so we were able to sleep in. The gym was huge and mostly empty when I saw it. The hotel is really close to the light rail so it was easy to get to the airport. I had stayed at Chambers last month on a different trip to Minneapolis, and I have to say, that although the two hotels have a very different feel to them, for half the price, I'd pick the Grand every time.

Stayed October 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Turkish first
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

Found a great deal on a room at the Grand for a weekend getway and had to take it.

Check in was a breeze. The elevators are a bit slow, but what do you expect for an older hotel? The room was immaculate, but we did have a few slopes in the floor by the entryway and bathroom. Nothing unstable, just sloped. Would be concerned if one did not have good balance. The bed was great, as was the soaking tub. The TV in the bathroom was a favorite of my husband.

The hotel is just a few blocks off of Nicollet Mall and the skyway is easily asscessible.

No complaints at all!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2007

I stayed at the Grand for the first time in a couple of years on a recent business trip to Minneapolis. The facility is top-notch, great lobby, terriffic health club and each room has a TV in the bathroom, which is perfect for a little "Good Morning America" while getting ready in the AM. For the most part the staff is very pleasant and helpful: checkin was a breeze, the healthclub attendents friendly and the lobby bar host first rate. The only disappointment for me was the restaurant. The breakfast service was slow....the eggs cold....the toast dry, not worth the time or money. The restaurant drags the whole experience down below the normal "Preferred Hotel" experience.

Please fix the restaurant!

Stayed July 2007
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

Another great stay at the Grand Hotel last month. The service is impeccable, the beds are comfortable and the amenities are always appreciated. Have stayed in quite a few room types, and I even enjoy the rooms facing the "courtyard" - looking into the central core of the hotel. The best are the corner rooms and the ones with the tv over the bathtub.
My favorite part of staying at this hotel is the complimentary coffee that comes with your wakeup call. you open your door and it's there waiting for you, small pot of coffee with cream, sugar and a bottle of water. I stay at a lot of hotels and this is the only one I have stayed at that offers this service. Also, if they're gonna leave mints, Godiva is always appreciated.
The gym is a full on health club, wonderful for those who want to work out.
Really can't say enough good things about this hotel, it's fabulous!

• Liked — Complimentary coffe delivered to your door in the mornings
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Saint Paul, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2007

My husband and I live just twenty minutes away, but wanted to pretend we were far away for a romantic weekend. It was the coldest February weekend, so being indoors was inevitable. We were greeted by a jovial doorman and valet--and the feeling of being royalty set in from here on--the service is outstanding! Our room was dominated by an enormous bed with a great towering headboard. They spared no expense with the furniture--it's fine and luxurious. The bed sheets are like nothing I've ever felt--so incredibly soft, I had to be coaxed out to go to Martini Blu for dinner. The sushi is some of the best I've had in the twin cities, and our martinis were tasty. We went for a swim in a pool (I felt like I was in a beautiful 1930s art deco mansion, a la Daddy Warbucks or something), worked out at Lifetime fitness--then took longbath in our deep-soak tub in our bathroom. The tub was made for two and was so, so romantic. The absolutely perfect weekend was topped with a delicious roomservice breakfast that I devoured in my cushy, deliciously soft robe. I will never forget this wonderful experience--worth every cent and then some. Definitely recommended and I can't wait to go again!

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2007

I adore this hotel!! My maid of honor booked a room at a holiday inn suites in minneapolis for our first two nights of our honeymoon, and when we got to the hotel, they said that our reservation was never made, eventhough it was and we had a confirmation number. Sorry to say, holiday inn left me in my wedding dress frustrated with no room, and did not offer me any type of room to make up for their mistake. I called my dad, who said to just have the limo take us to the grand hotel, he knew he could get us a room. So we did, we arrived, and they not only had set up a room for us, but they gave us our first night free... They also gave us a complimentary fruit plate (which was amazing). The bathrooms had Aveda products, which really impressed me, my husband could have cared less.. haha. There was a beautiful stone shower and extremely large tub, with a television. The bathroom was very spacious, the mini bar was stocked with not only alchohol, but other tasty drinks. The sushi at night was wonderful, even for my husband who can't usually stand sushi. The front desk and hotel staff were VERY polite and professional. The spa is worth the money, and the fitness center was perfect for my husband's fitness obsession. All in all, the hotel was amazing!!!

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2004, traveled as a couple
Duluth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2007

Have stayed at this hotel in the heart of downtown Minneapolis about 10 times over the last 8 months and agree with the previous reviewer that without a doubt there is not a nicer place to stay while enjoying what Minneapolis has to offer. Lobby is quiet and elegant, and front desk staff are always professional and accomodating to any request.

Grand rooms are very large and extremely comfortable and you rarely hear anything in the hallways. Housekeeping and turndown staff are incredible, keeping the rooms very tidy without ever bothering you. Room service is excellent as well and is always prompt and polite. They also have recently added LCD flat-panel televisions in the rooms which is a very nice touch.

Bathrooms are great, with separate showers and tvs above the tub. Free high-speed wireless access is also a plus.

Room rates are very comparable with what you would pay at other high-end hotels in the area and I have stayed in them all. You will not be disappointed in selecting the Grand Hotel when visting Minneapolis either for business or pleasure.

• Liked — Rooms are fantastic
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Grand Hotel Minneapolis - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!