“Great Weekend Getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nicollet Island Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Minneapolis
Nicollet Island Inn
95 Merriam Street, Nicollet Island, Minneapolis, MN 55401   |
Ranked #14 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Minnetonka
“Great Weekend Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I took a much needed weekend away from out busy schedules and the Nicollet Island Inn was the perfect place to do it. We live in the Twin Cities, but the weekend felt like we were visiting a place to explore. The room was great and the food delicious. We ate dinner and breakfast at the restaurant at the Inn. Both were great and service excellent. On Sunday we indulged in the brunch and were not disappointed.
The room was quiet and we had time to decompress. We especially enjoyed the neighborhood around the Inn. We spend Friday afternoon and Saturday morning exploring the Island and the river front area around it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Natasha H, Manager at Nicollet Island Inn, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Thank you for choosing us for your weekend staycation! I am happy to hear you were able to fully experience the Inn and our surroundings and had enjoyable time with your dinner, brunch, and explorations. We too enjoy our neighborhood and love sharing it with others! I appreciate you taking the time to leave your comments and hope to see you back soon.

Natasha Hamilton,

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend had purchased a groupon for a one night stay here. The service here was incredible. Everyone was genuinely kind. The food was above and beyond our expectations, our server was so patient with us. The room was very simple no big flashy decor simple and vintage, this is not a "getaway stay" hotel. More of a sweet romantic escape! They have horse and carriage rides just outside the restaraunt. Couldn't have been happier with our stay. We are already planning another stay <3

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for the glowing review! Our staff works hard to ensure that everyone experiences the incredible and genuinely kind service you did during your stay with us. We are lucky that The Hitching Company picks up right outside our doors – perfect for a sweet romantic escape as you mentioned. I value your positive feedback and hope to again exceed your expectations during your next stay.

Regards,
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

First, I must admit that this stay at the Nicollet Island Inn was a result of a Groupon deal that included a $40 wine credit. That said, we enjoyed our stay.

The first impression that one is left with is that the entire staff (hotel and restaurant) are professional, courteous, and helpful.

The location makes all the major Minneapolis attractions easily accessible. On top of that, the available parking is so much more convenient than that available at other hotels. As a runner, I appreciate the fact that the hotel is located near a walking/jogging/biking trail that runs along the river.

The hotel itself is well maintained. The room is well appointed and comfortable.

If one is looking for a comfortable Twin Cities get-away, the Nicollet Island Inn is a great option.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave such positive feedback! I am thrilled that our hotel and restaurant staff provided you with such exceptional service and that you enjoyed running the numerous trails our location has to offer. We also appreciate the ability to offer guests free parking in our personal lot, a definite convenience as you mentioned! Again, thank you for sharing your comments and we look forward to hosting you again.

Warm Regards,
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Taking advantage of a recent Groupon, my wife and I decided to celebrate our anniversary with a night away at the Inn, including dinner at the restaurant and brunch the following morning. The hotel itself was quite nice. The staff was exceptionally friendly and courteous, and the room was clean and quiet. I noticed that another recent guest commented on signs of age and wear, such as cracks in the bathroom vanity. We noticed this as well, along with things such as the window trim in desperate need of repainting. But I found these things to be minor, particularly for a hotel of this age and historic significance. Frankly, if everything were perfect and sparkling and new - if they'd gutted the interior and just left the historic facade - I think it would lose a good deal of its charm. For example, we noticed that the floor in our room sloped to one side; so much so, that there was a wood spacer under the chest of drawers to keep it level. We found this quaint, and a little amusing - not at all annoying or irritating.

The hotel is just across the river from downtown, so the views are nice, and it is convenient to get just about anywhere you'd want to go. If the restaurant isn't your choice (or you're staying more than one night and want to check out others), there are several within walking distance. There's also a movie theatre, walking/biking trails, the historic Stone Arch Bridge, etc. - all within easy walking distance. We took advantage of this and enjoyed a nice morning walk before returning to the hotel restaurant for Sunday brunch.

In fact, the only real issue we had was with the bed. It was so soft, it reminded me of a water bed. And for two people with bad backs, that is not ideal. In the in-room notebook containing information about the hotel, there were instructions for adjusting the firmness of a "Sleep Number" adjustable bed, but the bed in our room was not such a bed. My wife wondered why they would include instructions for something the room did not have. My best guess was that the room was likely supposed to have an adjustable bed - and maybe even did at one time - but something had happened to it, so it had been (perhaps temporarily) replaced with a standard mattress.

In fairness to the hotel and its staff, we did not discuss the bed issue with them. My wife suggested asking if they had another room available which might have, if not an adjustable bed, perhaps a firmer one, but we ultimately decided not to worry about it, as it was just one night. That turned out to be a bad decision. My wife awoke the following morning with such back pain that I spent a good deal of time massaging it before she got up. A gentle massage from a loving spouse may seem quite romantic - particularly as it was our anniversary - but, believe me, when there's that level of pain involved, it tends to kill the romantic mood.

Again, though, I must stress that we did not discuss this with the staff. Given how friendly and professional they were, I feel confident that they would have done anything in their power to address the situation, had we brought it to their attention. We didn't, and that was our mistake. I mention it, because, for any other travelers with back problems, it might be wise to discuss bed options when making reservations. Overall, however, we quite enjoyed our time at the Nicollet Island Inn.

Room Tip: I don't think you can really go wrong with any room; the only real question is whether you want...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
I am so glad to hear that you had an enjoyable experience despite your unfortunate comments on the bed. It is our expectation that every guest experience a comfortable night’s sleep and I am deeply sorry that this was not the case during your stay. We currently offer both sleep number and regular bed options in an effort to meet a wider variety of guest needs. It appears that your room during this stay did not feature a sleep number bed, and I will remedy the incorrect information within your room book. I am sorry we were not able to remedy this while you were here, but am delighted in the confidence you expressed in our staff to have assisted you had we been aware. Your comments on the historical charm and convenient location are greatly valued, and I thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Eagan, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Having stayed at the Nicollet Island Inn years ago, my wife and I were looking forward to returning to the inn for dinner and lodging. A recent Groupon enticed us to take advantage of a reasonable dinner/evening at the inn. Our experience ended up being much different during our one night stay at the inn.
Arriving close to our dinner reservation, the welcoming desk staff quickly checked us in and gave us our room key. The inn has a great location on the river in downtown Minneapolis. We had a third floor room facing Main Street in Minneapolis. We both noted the rooms are showing wear including dark spots in the shower, cracks in the sink bowl as well as a gross/black water emergency drain hole, worn carpet and areas that needed paint.
We headed to dinner hoping our experience would improve. Staff in the dining room is excellent but the food was average for the price point. Cheese starter had common cheeses, including blue cheese. Onion soup was good but the parsnip and apple soup is served cold which the menu and server did not advise. Our steaks were OK but for $39, I was expecting a finer piece of beef. Sides of potatoes were undercooked.
We skipped the Sunday brunch so cannot comment on this once elegant menu. Hotel guests have free coffee and pastries on Sunday morning and they were excellent.
Based on our experience, the Nicollet Island Inn will not be on our list of local get-a-way properties in the Cities.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to let us know where we need to improve! We are always looking for ways to make sure the Inn is on everyone’s list of get-a-way properties and your feedback will help us achieve this. Our front desk agents pride themselves on offering the quick and welcoming check-in you experienced and I will pass your kind words on to our staff. Your observations about the room will be beneficial as we work with our 120 year old property to keep it both comfortably updated while maintaining the historical accuracy and charm. We hope to have another opportunity to create a memorable experience for you, and encourage you to try us again as we have recently introduced all new menus with the welcome of our new executive chef.

Warm Regards,
minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We did not stay at the hotel but went there for Sunday brunch as part of a weekend long family celebration. I do not know
how I had not heard of this place before!!
We were greeted by the hostess and walked though the quaint restuarant to our table. We were then orientated to the menu by our fabulous waiter. We were made to feel welcome, put at ease to take our timee and enjoy a leisurely dining experience. We drank our mimosas and copious amounts of coffee and juice served to us by one of the most attentive waiters we have ever experienced. The five course meal was excellent and matched the ambience.
I would go here for brunch again and would recommend it to anyone I know. I think I would like to go back and try the dinner menu.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Wow! Thank you for discovering us! I am so pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your brunch. Hearing that we were able to provide you with such a memorable experience is what we love about our jobs! We would love to give you the same welcoming, attentive, and leisurely experience for dinner and hope to see you soon.

Hotel manager
Burnsville, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed here for a combination birthday present and place to see the awesome Minneapolis Aquatennial closing fireworks. The building is over 100 years old, and sits on an historic island in the middle of the Mississippi River. The rooms were very comfortable, and there are Sleep Number beds in each room. There are less than 30 guest rooms, so the inn is very quaint, and despite its location in the heart of the city it seems a world apart.

The oldest part of Minneapolis, St. Anthony Main, is a short walk from the inn, and there are tons of parks with walking and biking trails in addition to the area bars and restaurants. There is a kiosk to rent bikes a block or two away. If a more urban adventure is what you're looking for, the bright lights of downtown skyscrapers are just across the river the other way. There are also museums and theaters close by.

We also had the Sunday brunch. It's a 5-course affair that has enough choices to appeal to most any appetite, except for maybe children. The $36 cost may throw off a few, but the food is delicious and worth the splurge. It also includes unlimited coffee, orange juice, champagne and mimosas. The view from the restaurant, of a wooded channel of the river, is exceptional as well.

The bar prices were a little steep. I paid $16, not including tip, for two drinks after the fireworks. I'm sure the bars in St. Anthony Main would have been more reasonable, but we wanted a nightcap to take back to our room.

Overall, this place was delightful. The inn was clean and comfortable, the food was great, and the location can't be beat. It's not cheap, but it's worth a splurge.

Room Tip: 3rd floor with a city view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
We enjoy being a celebration destination and are thrilled you had a great birthday over the Aquatennial weekend! It seems you were able to fully experience all the neighborhood has to offer from St. Anthony Main to the heart of downtown! Regarding our Sunday Brunch, we also have a young guest’s menu to make sure all ages can join us for a great dining experience. Your comments are appreciated as we work to make sure every guest’s experience is as delightful as yours.

Regards,
Hotel Manager

Been to Nicollet Island Inn? Share your experiences!