“Very nice experience. . . except for the terrible bed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nicollet Island Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Minneapolis
Nicollet Island Inn
You added Nicollet Island Inn to your Saves list
95 Merriam Street, Nicollet Island, Minneapolis, MN 55401   |
Ranked #20 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Very nice experience. . . except for the terrible bed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Taking advantage of a recent Groupon, my wife and I decided to celebrate our anniversary with a night away at the Inn, including dinner at the restaurant and brunch the following morning. The hotel itself was quite nice. The staff was exceptionally friendly and courteous, and the room was clean and quiet. I noticed that another recent guest commented on signs of age and wear, such as cracks in the bathroom vanity. We noticed this as well, along with things such as the window trim in desperate need of repainting. But I found these things to be minor, particularly for a hotel of this age and historic significance. Frankly, if everything were perfect and sparkling and new - if they'd gutted the interior and just left the historic facade - I think it would lose a good deal of its charm. For example, we noticed that the floor in our room sloped to one side; so much so, that there was a wood spacer under the chest of drawers to keep it level. We found this quaint, and a little amusing - not at all annoying or irritating.

The hotel is just across the river from downtown, so the views are nice, and it is convenient to get just about anywhere you'd want to go. If the restaurant isn't your choice (or you're staying more than one night and want to check out others), there are several within walking distance. There's also a movie theatre, walking/biking trails, the historic Stone Arch Bridge, etc. - all within easy walking distance. We took advantage of this and enjoyed a nice morning walk before returning to the hotel restaurant for Sunday brunch.

In fact, the only real issue we had was with the bed. It was so soft, it reminded me of a water bed. And for two people with bad backs, that is not ideal. In the in-room notebook containing information about the hotel, there were instructions for adjusting the firmness of a "Sleep Number" adjustable bed, but the bed in our room was not such a bed. My wife wondered why they would include instructions for something the room did not have. My best guess was that the room was likely supposed to have an adjustable bed - and maybe even did at one time - but something had happened to it, so it had been (perhaps temporarily) replaced with a standard mattress.

In fairness to the hotel and its staff, we did not discuss the bed issue with them. My wife suggested asking if they had another room available which might have, if not an adjustable bed, perhaps a firmer one, but we ultimately decided not to worry about it, as it was just one night. That turned out to be a bad decision. My wife awoke the following morning with such back pain that I spent a good deal of time massaging it before she got up. A gentle massage from a loving spouse may seem quite romantic - particularly as it was our anniversary - but, believe me, when there's that level of pain involved, it tends to kill the romantic mood.

Again, though, I must stress that we did not discuss this with the staff. Given how friendly and professional they were, I feel confident that they would have done anything in their power to address the situation, had we brought it to their attention. We didn't, and that was our mistake. I mention it, because, for any other travelers with back problems, it might be wise to discuss bed options when making reservations. Overall, however, we quite enjoyed our time at the Nicollet Island Inn.

Room Tip: I don't think you can really go wrong with any room; the only real question is whether you want...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Natasha H, Manager at Nicollet Island Inn, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
I am so glad to hear that you had an enjoyable experience despite your unfortunate comments on the bed. It is our expectation that every guest experience a comfortable night’s sleep and I am deeply sorry that this was not the case during your stay. We currently offer both sleep number and regular bed options in an effort to meet a wider variety of guest needs. It appears that your room during this stay did not feature a sleep number bed, and I will remedy the incorrect information within your room book. I am sorry we were not able to remedy this while you were here, but am delighted in the confidence you expressed in our staff to have assisted you had we been aware. Your comments on the historical charm and convenient location are greatly valued, and I thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Eagan, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Having stayed at the Nicollet Island Inn years ago, my wife and I were looking forward to returning to the inn for dinner and lodging. A recent Groupon enticed us to take advantage of a reasonable dinner/evening at the inn. Our experience ended up being much different during our one night stay at the inn.
Arriving close to our dinner reservation, the welcoming desk staff quickly checked us in and gave us our room key. The inn has a great location on the river in downtown Minneapolis. We had a third floor room facing Main Street in Minneapolis. We both noted the rooms are showing wear including dark spots in the shower, cracks in the sink bowl as well as a gross/black water emergency drain hole, worn carpet and areas that needed paint.
We headed to dinner hoping our experience would improve. Staff in the dining room is excellent but the food was average for the price point. Cheese starter had common cheeses, including blue cheese. Onion soup was good but the parsnip and apple soup is served cold which the menu and server did not advise. Our steaks were OK but for $39, I was expecting a finer piece of beef. Sides of potatoes were undercooked.
We skipped the Sunday brunch so cannot comment on this once elegant menu. Hotel guests have free coffee and pastries on Sunday morning and they were excellent.
Based on our experience, the Nicollet Island Inn will not be on our list of local get-a-way properties in the Cities.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to let us know where we need to improve! We are always looking for ways to make sure the Inn is on everyone’s list of get-a-way properties and your feedback will help us achieve this. Our front desk agents pride themselves on offering the quick and welcoming check-in you experienced and I will pass your kind words on to our staff. Your observations about the room will be beneficial as we work with our 120 year old property to keep it both comfortably updated while maintaining the historical accuracy and charm. We hope to have another opportunity to create a memorable experience for you, and encourage you to try us again as we have recently introduced all new menus with the welcome of our new executive chef.

Warm Regards,
minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We did not stay at the hotel but went there for Sunday brunch as part of a weekend long family celebration. I do not know
how I had not heard of this place before!!
We were greeted by the hostess and walked though the quaint restuarant to our table. We were then orientated to the menu by our fabulous waiter. We were made to feel welcome, put at ease to take our timee and enjoy a leisurely dining experience. We drank our mimosas and copious amounts of coffee and juice served to us by one of the most attentive waiters we have ever experienced. The five course meal was excellent and matched the ambience.
I would go here for brunch again and would recommend it to anyone I know. I think I would like to go back and try the dinner menu.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Wow! Thank you for discovering us! I am so pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your brunch. Hearing that we were able to provide you with such a memorable experience is what we love about our jobs! We would love to give you the same welcoming, attentive, and leisurely experience for dinner and hope to see you soon.

Hotel manager
Burnsville, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed here for a combination birthday present and place to see the awesome Minneapolis Aquatennial closing fireworks. The building is over 100 years old, and sits on an historic island in the middle of the Mississippi River. The rooms were very comfortable, and there are Sleep Number beds in each room. There are less than 30 guest rooms, so the inn is very quaint, and despite its location in the heart of the city it seems a world apart.

The oldest part of Minneapolis, St. Anthony Main, is a short walk from the inn, and there are tons of parks with walking and biking trails in addition to the area bars and restaurants. There is a kiosk to rent bikes a block or two away. If a more urban adventure is what you're looking for, the bright lights of downtown skyscrapers are just across the river the other way. There are also museums and theaters close by.

We also had the Sunday brunch. It's a 5-course affair that has enough choices to appeal to most any appetite, except for maybe children. The $36 cost may throw off a few, but the food is delicious and worth the splurge. It also includes unlimited coffee, orange juice, champagne and mimosas. The view from the restaurant, of a wooded channel of the river, is exceptional as well.

The bar prices were a little steep. I paid $16, not including tip, for two drinks after the fireworks. I'm sure the bars in St. Anthony Main would have been more reasonable, but we wanted a nightcap to take back to our room.

Overall, this place was delightful. The inn was clean and comfortable, the food was great, and the location can't be beat. It's not cheap, but it's worth a splurge.

Room Tip: 3rd floor with a city view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
We enjoy being a celebration destination and are thrilled you had a great birthday over the Aquatennial weekend! It seems you were able to fully experience all the neighborhood has to offer from St. Anthony Main to the heart of downtown! Regarding our Sunday Brunch, we also have a young guest’s menu to make sure all ages can join us for a great dining experience. Your comments are appreciated as we work to make sure every guest’s experience is as delightful as yours.

Regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here for 10 days or so for business, enjoyed it very much. They have good coffee for free in the lobby, and they made it early for me a few days when I had to get an early start. Large room, good bed, nice staff.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
I am so glad you enjoyed your extended business stay with us and am delighted to hear that our front desk team was able to accommodate your needs according to your early schedule. As a coffee drinker myself I understand the importance of a good cup right away in the morning! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and I hope we have the opportunity to host you again.

Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

If you listen to the other reviews you'd miss out on a wonderful experience. The staff, especially Natasha were all polite and very helpful. The corner queen room was wonderful and quite. There was a smell of old(like a musk) but it goes away within minutes. The lights on the signage for the building name need replaced but thats gives it an old time feel. I would stay here again and recommend it.

Room Tip: all the rooms seemed quite but the queen corner room was great..
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! I personally appreciate your kind words and will pass them onto the staff as well. We do enjoy being able to provide guests quiet accommodations, so I am pleased that you found our Deluxe Corner Room up to this standard. I’m glad to hear you will stay with us again, and I hope you enjoy seeing our finished Nicollet Island Inn sign outside to welcome you back.

Regards,
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Was so exited when I booked the Island Romance package for our one year anniversary. The hotel is beautiful, the room (the lowest priice teir) was lovely, and everyone was nice. Don't even get me started on how awesome our dinner was! But when we layed down to finally sleep (the most important part of a hotel IMHO) the bed was horrendous! I should have listened to a few other negative reviews i read. The bed sagged completely in the middle, causing me to LITERALLY roll over and squish my husband if I didn't want to sleep on an angle. It ruined what was supposed to be a relaxing nights sleep! I promise you I do not exaggerate. It was that bad.

Will never return for the hotel portion of this establishment. What a shame : ( Not worth the price we paid by a long shot.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
We have our special packages in place to give guests a variety of ways to celebrate and I am glad you chose to join us for your one year anniversary. I am disappointed, however, to hear of your poor night’s sleep. Guest comfort and relaxation is a priority for us and we are constantly looking for ways to improve. I am very grateful that you shared your experience because this allowed us to investigate further, determining a replacement bed was needed. I am sincerely sorry this was not brought to our attention before your stay, and I do wish that you will give us the opportunity to show you a higher level of comfort and relaxation during a stay here by contacting me personally so I can work with you to create a memorable experience.

Hotel Manager

Been to Nicollet Island Inn? Share your experiences!