“Good food, good wine, good atmosphere and good service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bar La Grassa

Bar La Grassa
800 North Washington Avenue, Minneapolis, MN (Warehouse District)
Website
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Warehouse District
Cross street: 8th St
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good food, good wine, good atmosphere and good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Our evening at Bar la Grassa was exactly as the title says: a good one. I wont jump and say that it was the best culinary experience that I have ever had, but it was above average on all accounts. They had a decent wine list with selections that would go with almost all of their dishes. I especially liked the two hand-made pasta dishes that I shared that evening. The decor in the restaurant was fabulous, though. The light fixtures were very true to the style of the building (renovated warehouse), and I do not know HOW they found an antique mirror that size in one piece! As it is such a popular restaurant, it can be a little crowded. If you are going for a romantic evening, make sure to call ahead by at least a day so you can get a decent seat. They have several two top tables that are about 6 inches away from the next one, which makes the dining experience fairly awkward. Our server did not know enough about the wine list to make any recommendations that evening, but I'm sure that was an isolated experience. All in all though, the food and wine we chose along with the [incredibly low] price we paid, this was well worth the trip.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

brooklyn
“excellent food, superior service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Arrived to find they'd misplaced our reservation. They were incredibly accommodating, and seated us in the private dining room. Server was incredible - one of the most knowledgeable, patient, and thorough waitresses I've ever had.

Can't speak to the design of the rest of the restaurant, but the private dining room is perfect for business dinners. Decor isn't overbearing, lighting is set just right. Menu is excellent.

Must haves from the menu: duck confit with taleggio, mushroom and taleggio agnolotti, calamarata with raw tuna (seriously tasty), and the lamb meatballs. No a fish person usually but the market fish was great as well. I'll be back next time I'm in town.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Don't think: Just go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I'd been hearing about Bar La Grassa for quite some time but it wasn't until I moved to the Warehouse District in Minneapolis that we were able to walk over and enjoy this amazing meal. I'm guessing you need reservations but me and my wife just sat at the bar and had a mini-tasting. I would highly recommend this for your first time. The food was made with absolute care and tasted amazing. Anything you try there will be amazing and they have a chef who has won the James Beard award. Great stuff!

• Visited April 2013
“Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

5 of us experienced this awesome restaurant. We let the waitress pick out everything for a four course meal: it was awesome! Eggs and lobster were one of many favorites

St. Cloud, MN
“One of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My wife and I have eaten in Italian restaurants in NYC, Boston, Chicago, and San Fran. BLG is one of the best Italian restaurants in the US. The crispy insalat is light and dellcious. The egg and lobster brsucheta is fantastic. We split four of the smaller portion pastas: fusilli with lamb meatballs, bucatini with bolognesse, gnocchi with cauliflower and orange, and ravioli stuffed with foie gras. All were memorable. The gnocchi is to die for--so fluffy and tasty; a must order. I couldn't believe they wouldn't have tiramisu on the menu, but they didn't. We had the chocolate pot de creme dessert.
The service was professional, attentive, knowledgeable, and well-paced.
The wine list is impressive and fairly priced.
The music volume, however, is too loud--by the owners' personal choice!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere