“Neither A Bar, Nor Grass.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bar La Grassa

Bar La Grassa
800 North Washington Avenue, Minneapolis, MN (Warehouse District)
Website
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Warehouse District
Cross street: 8th St
minneapolis
“Neither A Bar, Nor Grass.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Love this place. Did not expect them to be pasta experts when I went the first time. Anything gnocchi is what you want to order. Come hungry and with a spirit of sharing. 112 Eatery (sister restaurant) is still my favorite, but these folks show you a good time.

Visited June 2012

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“BLG may be the best food in Mpls”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

BLG is so delicious it's tough to say that another Italian restaurant is better. So many different options, with many different price points. The bruschetta options are so amazing. The lobster and soft cooked egg is so rich and creamy, outstanding. The charred onion and goat cheese is super tasty as well. The best dish in all of Minneapolis is the Gnocchi. Orange zest, shaved cauliflower, parm, and perfect little gnocchis. I order this every time, sometimes i wont share. But really everything on the menu is good. Great pastas. Cool atmosphere as well.

Wayzata
“Always a great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was probably our sixth visit to Bar La Grassa. Each time we have had great servers who answered every question we had about the menu. Last Saturday four of us shared the chicken and spare rib entrees. They offer full and half servings of each pasta so everyone, so everyone was able to order a half order of the favorite pasta. Our favorite is the red wine spaghetti, but Saturday I had a smoked spaghetti with lobster which was fabulous. Excellent wine selection and a must have dessert-salted carmel crepe with a scoop of vanilla. Always an enjoyable experience would highly recommend it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“friends and family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

great food, good ambiance. I like the meatball dish so much i ordered more (: The portion are a bit small though

Visited October 2012
Urbana, IL
“I don't get the hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My bestest friends (Minneapolitans) took me to Bar la Grassa for my 42nd birthday.

It was okay.

They talked about this place like it was THE place in town. Yes, people were waiting in the lobby before opening time. Yes, everyone swarmed in when the doors opened at precisely 5 p.m.

But then the place stayed half-full for the next hour. So I assume word has gotten around -- it's just not that good.

The food was okay-ish. One entree was eggs-over-easy on toast, with a bit of cream cheese and some lobster tail. Meh.

Another dish was grilled, de-boned chicken. It had bones, and it was okay.

A third dish was candied carrots. I like it that chic restaurants are now demanding top dollar for side-dishes our moms prepared in the 60s and 70s, which we refused to eat.

The pasta was fine, and pedestrian. Twenty years ago, you'd be impressed by the texture. Now, it's available at supermarkets.

I had two or three different elbows in my face during the night. i.e. staff who hadn't been trained to reach in when serving food or refilling water, or removing empty plates.

Our primary server had a great personality, tattoos and bad suggestions. (I usually ask the staff what's good. Her recommendations were not good. I credit/blame the restaurant rather than the server in these situations.)

The death knell, in terms of service, was the wine service. We ordered an idea, a feel of what we wanted, and were rewarded with a great suggestion. But then, as the room filled up, our glasses went dry as our bottle melted its ice bucket, somewhere nearby. If we'd known where the bottle was hiding, we's have refilled ourselves.

No wait, I tell a lie. We DID wind up serving ourselves. Our server came by finally, and refilled my glass (thus revealing the hiding place of the bottle) but failed to refill the other empty glass at the table. We were three people in a four-top (booth).

That's just incredibly bad service. Unconscionably bad, Humorously bad. Reviewably bad.

I've been served by the best, in some some outstanding Zagat-rated restaurants. I've also been served by great people who "get it," despite working in non-starred restaurants of no acclaim. The common theme is twofold: You never get an elbow in the face, and your glass is never empty.

The Bar la Grassa atmosphere is underwhelming, for dining purposes. It's fine for bar purposes, and perhaps for grassa purposes.

It's a bar.

It's crowded with women on the prowl. I'm fine with this aspect of the ambiance on general principles. I like women. I like prowling. Furthermore, they all seemed well-dressed and attractive. If I were writing a review for singles bars, especially geared toward 30-to-40 somethings, Bar la Grassa would rate Five Stars.

• Visited February 2013