“Best Italian in the Cities” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bar La Grassa

Bar La Grassa
800 North Washington Avenue, Minneapolis, MN (Warehouse District)
Website
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Warehouse District
Cross street: 8th St
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Best Italian in the Cities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

By far the best pasta in the Twin Cities, if you can get a table that is. Plan ahead with a reservation but the Braised Rabbit and Veal are worth it.

Visited October 2012

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Aaron Slavicek is a GOD!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I followed Aaron from Cafe Maude and have enjoyed his cooking for years now. I notice it has been too long since I came in, though, and need to get back. Hope La Grassa's still face melting Minneapolis with awesome food.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I'm a big fan of 112 Eatery, Bar La Grassa's sibling restaurant. I waited to go to BLG for fear of being disappointed if it wasn't as good as 112. That fear was put to rest in a heartbeat after the first bite at La Grassa.
Our reservation was for 6:30. We checked-in right on time. Our table was not available yet so we sat at the bar. The place has a fun energetic ambiance (it was packed.) We were seated at 7:00. We couldn't have asked for better service. Our server, Arthur, was fun, thorough and knowledgeable. We asked for several recommendations. The one dish we picked where we strayed from what he liked best is the dish I liked least and only dish I wouldn't order again. There was only two of us and wanting to try different options we chose the smaller plates and shared everything. We had plenty of food.
We started with a salad that is no longer on the online menu so I'm not remembering the name but it has a anchovy dressing (as of this date, 3rd down the line in the antipasti section.) It was nice and flavorful. Then had the bruschetta (toasted to perfection) with avocado and white anchovy. We both agreed we could have eaten another 3 piece each. Perfect combo. Then we had the dish we picked on our own without Arthur's input. Under the Dry Pasta section, the Calamarata with raw Tuna. It was just OK in our opinion. It would be so much better if it was served with Ahi. The sauce was just a little picante but missing something. Wouldn't order that again. A few reviews I read on this site had mentioned the Gnocchi with Cauliflower and Orange. Gnocci isn't something I normally order, I find it often bland. If you're going to have Gnocchi once in your life, have it at La Grassa. Wow is it good! The taste is hints of cauliflower and slight citrus. It's truly amazing. At Arthur's recommendation we ended with the Foie Gras Tortelini (Foie Gras Mousse in the tortelini with a balsamic reduction.) It's rich but Oh. So. Yummy!
Wish I could write about the dessert menu but we were already full. I should mention there's a extensive wine list with very nice wines and prices low to high. I'm thrilled I tried BLG. Isaac Becker certainly deserves James Beard's Best Chef of the Midwest Award. It'll be a difficult choice to pick between 112 and La Grassa next time.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
“I have eaten at many restaurants and bar la grass has never disappointed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This restaurant has been at the top of its game every time we go as it gave us another wonderful meal on Saturday night. This was th
E first time we sat a table. Every time we have gone without reservations we have had to sit at the bar. The food has been great and we continue to experiment with their menu. We have our favorites and we try to add to them with every visit.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
None of your business
“Decent, but extremely overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

After reading all of the great reviews about BLG on both tripadvisor and yelp, I had very high expectation for this restaurant. To my disappointment however, BLG was nothing more than an overpriced, somewhat unique, downtown restaurant that has been extremely overrated on websites like this. My family and I ordered four different pasta dishes, the silk handkerchiefs with basil pesto, the crab ravioli, cavatelli with braised rabbit, and the pasta negra with sea urchin chili, mussels, and tomato. BLG brags about its homemade pasta, but to be quite honest, I found the pasta to be too thick and somewhat chewy, making it a little too filling. The crab ravioli was good, but 32 bucks?! Really?! I ordered the full size portion and it was just enough for me, any smaller and I would have been left hungry. The sauce for the crab ravioli tasted very similar to the tastier and cheaper sauce in the Fettucini with Lobster at Biaggi's. The pasta negra didn't have much of a sauce and the silk handkerchiefs were a bit on the bland side. The cavatelli was the worst pasta dish we ordered. It tasted like mediocre spaghetti, and there was no hint of rabbit in it whatsover. For the price, the food definitely was not worth it. This place is way overrated. The only reason they can get away with charging such ridiculous prices for average pasta and bruschetta (the lobster and egg bruschetta was $18!!! I can get an entire of plate of Fettucini with Lobster at Biaggi's for less than that!) is because of their location downtown. This restaurant isn't worth the hole in your wallet, skip it for something else like Biaggi's, which is cheaper and tastier.

• Visited September 2012